Sennheiser HD820
May 2, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,481 of 4,346
I thought u were getting the g1217 amp?

Anyhow yeah wait time sucks and you will need something cheap/temporary in the meantime (again horizon 1217 good choice), but when spending 2k on amp why not be patient and get one of the best?
I am. I am just waiting for his reply to my query but seems like he is swamped.

I was looking at the xduoo ta-30 cause I can get it now vs waiting

plus has a dac as well, unsure if better than my current dac or I should just go liquid gold.
So many choices and combinations, not enough funding :frowning2:

May 2, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,482 of 4,346
I am. I am just waiting for his reply to my query but seems like he is swamped.

I was looking at the xduoo ta-30 cause I can get it now vs waiting

plus has a dac as well, unsure if better than my current dac or I should just go liquid gold.
So many choices and combinations, not enough funding :frowning2:
Well you really need to sort out the funding first. The DNA plus a good dac will run you like $2700, which is a lot more than the other options. It will sound a lot better too but if you can't or don't want to spend the cash then its irrelevant.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #3,483 of 4,346
Well you really need to sort out the funding first. The DNA plus a good dac will run you like $2700, which is a lot more than the other options. It will sound a lot better too but if you can't or don't want to spend the cash that's irrelevant.
the off putting thing is about that combo is that there’s roughly a 7 month wait time and it’s roughly about upwards of $4000 CAD.

I was gonna grab the g1217 but he hasn’t responded yet so now I’m debating between liquid gold vs xduoo ta-30 since it’ll hold me until whenever. Maybe 12 months from now?

I mean I can do what I do on my current system or use my LD MK2 but my LD is meh.

if the guy from garage project msgs me back I’ll prob cop that.
only reason why I considered the ta-30 is cause of the “extra” tube sound you get vs other hybrids such as the platinum and since horizon is a hybrid as well, not a lot of reviews surrounding it.

the whole ordeal with my LD MK8 failing has me ptsd. Don’t want another device failing on me and being left with no support

May 2, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #3,484 of 4,346
the off putting thing is about that combo is that there’s roughly a 7 month wait time and it’s roughly about upwards of $4000 CAD.

I was gonna grab the g1217 but he hasn’t responded yet so now I’m debating between liquid gold vs xduoo ta-30 since it’ll hold me until whenever. Maybe 12 months from now?

I mean I can do what I do on my current system or use my LD MK2 but my LD is meh.

if the guy from garage project msgs me back I’ll prob cop that.
only reason why I considered the ta-30 is cause of the “extra” tube sound you get vs other hybrids such as the platinum and since horizon is a hybrid as well, not a lot of reviews surrounding it
You have to be patient with garage and DNA. You are talking about single man operations and hand-built amplifiers vs. China mass market produced gear backed by big companies. While you might get quicker response from big company you may end up spending the same or more on something that sounds worse, built with worse parts, and won't last as long

It's the like commissioning a carpenter to build you a bookshelf vs buying one at IKEA

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,485 of 4,346
You have to be patient with garage and DNA. You are talking about single man operations and hand-built amplifiers vs. China mass market produced gear backed by big companies. While you might get quicker response from big company you may end up spending the same or more on something that sounds worse, built with worse parts, and won't last as long

It's the like commissioning a carpenter to build you a bookshelf vs buying one at IKEA

yeah I totally get that. They’re quality devices vs mass produced. The DNA is a future purchase. Prob when COVID ends.
Maybe I give few more months for garage but I’d like to get something for the time being.

May 7, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #3,486 of 4,346
Sennheiser announced their partnership with the Suisse Sonova. The plan is to complete the transfer of the business to Sonova by the end of 2021. However on Tuesday May 11th they will launch new product for audiophiles. Should we be excited? Finally HD800 successor?
Source

May 7, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #3,487 of 4,346
Sennheiser announced their partnership with the Suisse Sonova. The plan is to complete the transfer of the business to Sonova by the end of 2021. However on Tuesday May 11th they will launch new product for audiophiles. Should we be excited? Finally HD800 successor?
Source
I think there is a shot considering the HD800S is on Drop now

May 9, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #3,489 of 4,346
Just picked up a preowned hd820. when i put it on and listen to it pretty loud wife said it leaks just as much as the hd800s which i got rid of a while ago lol. if i press the headphone against my face and the bass is quite a bit more enjoyable. is it just my face or a lot of people is like this? it doesn't have much clamping force. any aftermarket pads that can seal better?

i think it's an enjoyable sound. even without perfect seal the bass is a bit stronger than the hd800s. i sold my lcd xc for almost the price of this so it's not a bad trade. now i realized i have no planar left. comfort is much better than any lcd headphones because it's lighter. listening to some old rap from the 90s only in 320k format through hugo and it's pretty damn good hehe. time to get an ebay tidal again.
There’s definitely a fit issue for certain people with the 820.
I ended up selling my set because I could never just put it on and enjoy the sound. The ear cups felt like they were pushing the limits or the headband in terms of weight and always failed to materialize the right seal for me.

I tried a couple of dekony pads, they always made the sound worse for me.

I liked the sound signature but spending that kind of money and clearly struggling with what’s supposed to be a strong selling point made the 820 a hard proposition for me.

If the seal works for you with the original pads and you like the sound signature, you’re lucky.

May 9, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #3,490 of 4,346
There’s definitely a fit issue for certain people with the 820.
I ended up selling my set because I could never just put it on and enjoy the sound. The ear cups felt like they were pushing the limits or the headband in terms of weight and always failed to materialize the right seal for me.

I tried a couple of dekony pads, they always made the sound worse for me.

I liked the sound signature but spending that kind of money and clearly struggling with what’s supposed to be a strong selling point made the 820 a hard proposition for me.

If the seal works for you with the original pads and you like the sound signature, you’re lucky.
That's why we need a headband clamping force increase mod, do you guys have narrower heads? Anyway, Sennheiser should have made them much tighter from the beginning of their release.. I have normal to big size head but again If I would buy these, I can imagine, I would seek for tighter fit.. I'm a fun of tight but comfortable fit headphones.

May 9, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,491 of 4,346
That's why we need a headband clamping force increase mod, do you guys have narrower heads? Anyway, Sennheiser should have made them much tighter from the beginning of their release.. I have normal to big size head but again If I would buy these, I can imagine, I would seek for tighter fit.. I'm a fun of tight but comfortable fit headphones.
I have a larger head and clamping force is perfect, and I need to use at max extension. The HD820 still feels more present than the hd800s for me despite the looser clamp. I could see how it would be issue for narrow/oval heads tho.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #3,492 of 4,346
S
I have a larger head and clamping force is perfect. The HD820 still feels more present than the hd800s for me despite the looser clamp. I could see how it would be issue for narrow/oval heads tho.
So, you don't need any more clamping force? How's sound leakage and bass performance? Would you wear them somewhere in public or they leak too much for listening in public?

May 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3,493 of 4,346
It would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this and whether it's just a natural thing to expect.
I would describe it as the exact same affect of getting in your car and the windows fogging slightly.

I honestly don't believe it's a fault - just a natural affect of glass steaming up when warm on one side and cooler outside?
I may reach out to Sennheiser for comment.

If I get the opportunity I will share some pictures next time I try them.
Hi there,
I have noticed the same "issue" with my HD820 fogging / condense inside of the glass. Did you get any respond from Sennheiser support desk?

cheers,
Kacper

May 10, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,495 of 4,346
in my case went off too,, unfortunately :slight_frown:
they need to send us some stickers. improve the quality. so the one sticker on mine that failed is the silver part is still on the headphone and the plastic transparent film part came off. some silver is still stuck on there. i don't want to super glue it back rather just remove it completely lol. if they send a cutout sticker i woudln't mind paint it silver, not sure what they are thinking. either don't use anything at all or paint it. at this price it should be a metal engraving type if logo. i saw the news sennheiser got bought out by some company. not sure that's just one sector or the whole headphone department.

what's a clamp force mod? is there one or still wanting for someone to come up with something? i haven't have much time listening to mine it's now collecting dust again like all my other headphones lol. still waiting for the end of month to move to new home and can take out the big dac and amps to listen to the hd820.

any cheap aftermarket cable that sounds better than the stock? i sold a very nice ALO chainmail HD800 cable a while go. wish i kept that. it was super long like 5m and worth quite a bit of money. but again it's really big cable and so darn long.

i have another cable ALO audio silver looking big cable that came with an audeze purchase. i am now out of audeze headphones and this is only thing left. maybe i should convert it to hd800. wonder using adapter is a good idea. last time i saw the adapter cost more than the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back