Sennheiser HD820
Sep 27, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #3,316 of 4,356
Thanks! I think Id go with the Hdv820. By the way how do you like the hd820? I see so many mixed opinions, it seems polarising.
Second everything @ruinedx says above. The 820 has really grown on me. I was a bit skeptical at first, with its unusual tonality and frequency response, but I’ve really started to fall in love. I’ve been using a Schiit Loki to play with frequency response, but sounds great without. It absolutely obliterates my Beyer T5p.

I would say, if you think you like a lot of low-end slam, you might consider a Spirit Torino. Haven’t heard myself, but from what I’ve read, they make super, super detailed headphones with the most bass in this level of high end. I’ve been thinking about buying their Radiante closed back, which is similar price as 820. They’re also supposed to take EQ really well.

https://www.headamp.com/collections/spirit-torino

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #3,317 of 4,356
Second everything @ruinedx says above. The 820 has really grown on me. I was a bit skeptical at first, with its unusual tonality and frequency response, but I’ve really started to fall in love. I’ve been using a Schiit Loki to play with frequency response, but sounds great without. It absolutely obliterates my Beyer T5p.
On this topic, I have a DNA Starlett I am on the waiting list for, very excited as it has received extremely positive reception for the HD8xx series specifically. Using LP currently which itself is extremely satisfying, and am hearing this DNA amp is similar type of sound balance as LP, except better in every department.

The HD8xx can sound really bad with the wrong amp, but with the right amp it is quite amazing.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #3,318 of 4,356
On this topic, I have a DNA Starlett I am on the waiting list for, very excited as it has received extremely positive reception for the HD8xx series specifically. Using LP currently which itself is extremely satisfying, and am hearing this DNA amp is similar type of sound balance as LP, except better in every department.

The HD8xx can sound really bad with the wrong amp, but with the right amp it is quite amazing.
Nice! I plan to buy a Stratus when it’s in the budget. Let us know here how the Starlett sounds with the 820. What’s the ETA? I’d buy a Starlett, but I know I’d immediately be wondering how much better the Stratus could be.

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #3,319 of 4,356
Nice! I plan to buy a Stratus when it’s in the budget. Let us know here how the Starlett sounds with the 820. What’s the ETA? I’d buy a Starlett, but I know I’d immediately be wondering how much better the Stratus could be.
The Starlett might actually be a better choice than the stratus if HD8xx is your primary headphone for a couple of reasons-
1) Starlett has enough power for any dynamic headphones. Main concern would be high powered planars which is more stratus territory
2) Starlett voicing is slightly warmer than Stratus which many may prefer for hd820
3) Starlett uses tubes that are cheaper and easier to obtain good quality versions of, so maintenance is less as well

I would only go for stratus if you have a specific use case that Starlett couldnt power IMO. The wait time is 6mos range.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #3,320 of 4,356
The Starlett might actually be a better choice than the stratus if HD8xx is your primary headphone for a couple of reasons-
1) Starlett has enough power for any dynamic headphones. Main concern would be high powered planars which is more stratus territory
2) Starlett voicing is slightly warmer than Stratus which many may prefer for hd820
3) Starlett uses tubes that are cheaper and easier to obtain good quality versions of, so maintenance is less as well

I would only go for stratus if you have a specific use case that Starlett couldnt power IMO. The wait time is 6mos range.

Those are really interesting points and do have me thinking more on whether I should just pull the trigger on a Starlett. From what I’ve read, though, the 2A3s tubes get you some benefits beyond more power. I asked Donald about the difference and he said: “Compared to the Starlett it has a bit more immediacy and ‘you are there’ presence courtesy of the 2A3s.” I probably will buy some planars down the road, so that’s another consideration.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #3,321 of 4,356
Those are really interesting points and do have me thinking more on whether I should just pull the trigger on a Starlett. From what I’ve read, though, the 2A3s tubes get you some benefits beyond more power. I asked Donald about the difference and he said: “Compared to the Starlett it has a bit more immediacy and ‘you are there’ presence courtesy of the 2A3s.” I probably will buy some planars down the road, so that’s another consideration.
Yeah but the HD8xx are some of the fastest headphones out there with their treble response, IMO at least. I'm not sure more immediacy would necessarily be a good thing; good for hd6xx but I dunno about hd8xx. A bit of rounding helps make them a bit less aggressive and why I like with LP.

If u want planars that's a different story tho

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #3,322 of 4,356
Yeah but the HD8xx are some of the fastest headphones out there with their treble response, IMO at least. I'm not sure more immediacy would necessarily be a good thing; good for hd6xx but I dunno about hd8xx. A bit of rounding helps make them a bit less aggressive and why I like with LP.

If u want planars that's a different story tho
Good points. Thanks.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #3,324 of 4,356
Hello guys,

I would like to try/buy the Sennheiser HD820 and I wonder if the iBasso DX220 with the AMP8 is able to drive them at a sufficient level.

Thank you!
It will be just fine, but with hd800s and 820, they scale better with better equipments. For example, the dx220Max has better driven power and finesses out to 800s rather than dx220 and Amp8. The amp are based on the same architecture, but the Max amp stage has it own independent power rails, where as the Amp8 has a shared supply by the dx220

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #3,325 of 4,356
It will be just fine, but with hd800s and 820, they scale better with better equipments. For example, the dx220Max has better driven power and finesses out to 800s rather than dx220 and Amp8. The amp are based on the same architecture, but the Max amp stage has it own independent power rails, where as the Amp8 has a shared supply by the dx220
can this amp properly drive hd820?
Monolith by Monoprice Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24460
https://www.thx.com/aaa/#:~:text=TH... (THX,noise, distortion and power consumption.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #3,326 of 4,356
It drives the hd800s fine. It comes across as a v shaped amp with a hollow midrange. Super clean insanely black. Good if you want maximum width :)

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #3,327 of 4,356
It drives the hd800s fine. It comes across as a v shaped amp with a hollow midrange. Super clean insanely black. Good if you want maximum width :)
hd800s is even driven fine by 50mw 3.5 output of zx507 if u are not basshead. loud enough, however little bass.
nevertheless, I'm intersted in hd820, zx507 200mw drive the very loud, however, in contrast to 5V A&K amp, zx507 did drive sub-bass on 15-20% of it potential which I heard with A&K desktop "wheel" DAC&AMP.

I believe I enjoy V-shaped sound.
however, is midrange just flat as it should be? or it's just bad?

I assume then u are talking about sound stage, right? it's super wide, however what about depth and heights?

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,328 of 4,356
hd800s is even driven fine by 50mw 3.5 output of zx507 if u are not basshead. loud enough, however little bass.
nevertheless, I'm intersted in hd820, zx507 200mw drive the very loud, however, in contrast to 5V A&K amp, zx507 did drive sub-bass on 15-20% of it potential which I heard with A&K desktop "wheel" DAC&AMP.

I believe I enjoy V-shaped sound.
however, is midrange just flat as it should be? or it's just bad?

I assume then u are talking about sound stage, right? it's super wide, however what about depth and heights?
Lack of bass is the first symptom that the HD800S aren't properly driven. They can sound "just fine" or "quite good" from the sources that don't give them enough power but truth be told, as soon as they get enough juice they open up. What I've expreienced is that when they lack power from the source, the bass is shallow and lacks the thump. Their sub-bas is still rather mediocre, but there is just as big gap between single-ended and balanced output from Aune S6 Pro as there is between balanced output of Aune S6 Pro and Burson C3X Performance. I even went as far as to put them on high gain which is rather unnecessary, but stil they have benefited from that extra amount of power. They have also improved by changing the stock cable which ergonomics are jus tragic...
BTW. High volume doesn't necessary mean that the headphones are well driven :wink:

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #3,329 of 4,356
Big Thanks to @jude and the posters in this thread who said the 820 needs to be heard instead of judging them by graphs and polarizing reviews. I've always wanted a good closed back because my listening environment is usually a little too noisy for open backs. I picked up a pair off the head-fi market and they've quickly become my favorite headphones. To my ears and big head the 820 does everything right. I've spent the last month enjoying anything and everything with these cans.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #3,330 of 4,356
Big Thanks to @jude and the posters in this thread who said the 820 needs to be heard instead of judging them by graphs and polarizing reviews. I've always wanted a good closed back because my listening environment is usually a little too noisy for open backs. I picked up a pair off the head-fi market and they've quickly become my favorite headphones. To my ears and big head the 820 does everything right. I've spent the last month enjoying anything and everything with these cans.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back