Sennheiser HD820
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,062 of 4,356
Hey All,

I may have missed this over the course of 205 pages of reading, but has anyone found a good travel case for the 820? I have found several that can work with the 8xx line, but look really quite large and not at all focused on protection. I just got a pair of 820's and are currently using them in my office, but would love to have a case that I could take from my home to my office.

Thanks in advance all!

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #3,063 of 4,356
Hey All,

I may have missed this over the course of 205 pages of reading, but has anyone found a good travel case for the 820? I have found several that can work with the 8xx line, but look really quite large and not at all focused on protection. I just got a pair of 820's and are currently using them in my office, but would love to have a case that I could take from my home to my office.

Thanks in advance all!

These are the ones I’m using. They’re awesome. No regrets. They come with a carabiner so you don’t have to waste backpack/carrier space inside the backpack/carrier....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DBBRPLM

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,065 of 4,356
These are the ones I’m using. They’re awesome. No regrets. They come with a carabiner so you don’t have to waste backpack/carrier space inside the backpack/carrier....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DBBRPLM

I've owned their HD660S size case for a couple of years now and can't fault it, snug fit for headphones (not too big) with room for cable (still attached) and adaptors, also very very rigid/crush proof construction

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #3,066 of 4,356
I've owned their HD660S size case for a couple of years now and can't fault it, snug fit for headphones (not too big) with room for cable (still attached) and adaptors, also very very rigid/crush proof construction

It's really strange, as that's the case I am using right now, but it's quite small and I have to almost crush the 820's to get them in to it. I guess maybe it's a smaller size... who knows.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,067 of 4,356
all in good fun, of course.

1592578099653.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,068 of 4,356
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #3,069 of 4,356
Thank you!

That's the one I'm using too. It's a bit big, but I'm able to put the headphones in with the cables connected, which is a big plus being that they're difficult to disconnect,

Jun 19, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #3,070 of 4,356
I "struggled" with this much worse..

1592580209061.png

If all things could be explained on an X and Y-axis, I guess the world would be much simpler, but it doesnt. I dont care how a FR graph is telling you, if it doesnt sound good to you then it doesnt sound good and likewise if it does then it does. I still regard this as the best closed back.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #3,071 of 4,356
wonder if we could coin a new phrase, dehype train, kind of a reverse to the normal bandwagon effect that you see on most headphones. But instead of signing on to hype, signing on to lynch. I would not doubt in the least that people can be fooled into hearing something as sounding good if enough people have hyped it up and the expectation bias can have a strong effect, and I can certainly see it running in reverse as well.

That may be why you can rarely trust five star reviews and why you can equally rarely trust unconstructive 1 star reviews. On Amazon you can see the same pattern if you read the reviews. You will usually see a few that are constructive, usually along the lines "not my cup of tea" or describing something that is defective like the product arrived damaged or broken. And then you arrive to the ones that say something extreme like "it sucks" or "its the worst product ever" which is unlikely to be accurate unless you are reviewing a set of 3 dollar used Walgreens headphones that really do sound that bad.

In the example of the hd820, even most of the detractors have found that it sounds incredibly similar to a hd800(s), which is a headphone that has multiple 1000plus page forums dedicated to it. Makes it really hard to believe someone that gets on and goes straight to the trash can argument. It means that they are usually not using logic to guide their opinions, but rather a serious case of expectation bias.

If you enjoy something, don't let someone take that away from you, life is too short. And if you don't enjoy something, look and see why and try to find that joy or move on to something better.

That's the one I'm using too. It's a bit big, but I'm able to put the headphones in with the cables connected, which is a big plus being that they're difficult to disconnect,

Thank you for that very useful observation, as someone who doesn't like to wear out connections by repeated removing and reinserting them, knowing that these will hold the headphones and not require removing the cables is absolute information gold. 2 thumbs up and a salute sir

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #3,072 of 4,356
Can someone explain a newbie like me the difference running these 820 from a portable dap like the FiiO M11 Pro that supports 300 output balanced and the Sony ZX507 which goes up to 200 output using the balanced cable. Is it the soundstage or the power of the sound that these numbers refer to?

Right now I have a EU capped ZX507 (and the volume is on the low side with these) but thinking of ordering the asian uncapped one but also considering the FiiO 11 Pro if it's better suited for high-end headphones. I've tried using the 820 from a Sony NW-A55 which I uncapped (running 3.5mm) and the volume goes higher - and the sound is good. How does the headphones sound when using a more capable dap is what I'm asking about - and sorry for the question. I just want to learn :)

Any suggestions to which low-mid-price DAP is most suited to run these headphones?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3,073 of 4,356
wonder if we could coin a new phrase, dehype train, kind of a reverse to the normal bandwagon effect that you see on most headphones. But instead of signing on to hype, signing on to lynch. I would not doubt in the least that people can be fooled into hearing something as sounding good if enough people have hyped it up and the expectation bias can have a strong effect, and I can certainly see it running in reverse as well.

That may be why you can rarely trust five star reviews and why you can equally rarely trust unconstructive 1 star reviews. On Amazon you can see the same pattern if you read the reviews. You will usually see a few that are constructive, usually along the lines "not my cup of tea" or describing something that is defective like the product arrived damaged or broken. And then you arrive to the ones that say something extreme like "it sucks" or "its the worst product ever" which is unlikely to be accurate unless you are reviewing a set of 3 dollar used Walgreens headphones that really do sound that bad.

In the example of the hd820, even most of the detractors have found that it sounds incredibly similar to a hd800(s), which is a headphone that has multiple 1000plus page forums dedicated to it. Makes it really hard to believe someone that gets on and goes straight to the trash can argument. It means that they are usually not using logic to guide their opinions, but rather a serious case of expectation bias.

If you enjoy something, don't let someone take that away from you, life is too short. And if you don't enjoy something, look and see why and try to find that joy or move on to something better.

Thank you for that very useful observation, as someone who doesn't like to wear out connections by repeated removing and reinserting them, knowing that these will hold the headphones and not require removing the cables is absolute information gold. 2 thumbs up and a salute sir
I tend to agree with a lot what you say...but I have yet to come across anyone who thinks the 820 sounds similar to the 800...s or no s. I have a buddy who owns both and he is currently on the verge of selling off the closedback because it sounds way too warm for him. I personally much prefer the 820 but I very much agree with him, as well as all the different measurements I’ve seen of these cans; the two are very different sounding headphones.
A somewhat crass comparison would be:
HD800 ~ DT880 (bright, analytical, detail)
HD820 ~ DT770 (bassy, laidback mids, sharpness in highs)

Jun 21, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #3,074 of 4,356
There is sound, and there is tonality, I should have specified the exact wither whys and wither hows. At any rate it was a generalization to make a point.

It does not matter, the point I wanted to make is wasted, and a lost cause, too often I have tilted at windmills...

Thanks for offering a subjective opinion though, it was much appreciated.

Edit- not thinking about what i wrote, realized that what i said could be taken more pointedly directed that what i meant. Again, speaking in large generalities, I was not meaning to directly point at what you said as a lost case, it was in reference to past events and other things in my life right now. You made a detailed observation and your own conclusions based apon something you viewed as erroneous, that is certainly worthy of debate, and my apologies for not only failing to make that clear, but also not taking time for adding more to what could be a great discussion.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #3,075 of 4,356
Can someone explain a newbie like me the difference running these 820 from a portable dap like the FiiO M11 Pro that supports 300 output balanced and the Sony ZX507 which goes up to 200 output using the balanced cable. Is it the soundstage or the power of the sound that these numbers refer to?

Right now I have a EU capped ZX507 (and the volume is on the low side with these) but thinking of ordering the asian uncapped one but also considering the FiiO 11 Pro if it's better suited for high-end headphones. I've tried using the 820 from a Sony NW-A55 which I uncapped (running 3.5mm) and the volume goes higher - and the sound is good. How does the headphones sound when using a more capable dap is what I'm asking about - and sorry for the question. I just want to learn :)

Any suggestions to which low-mid-price DAP is most suited to run these headphones?
I own the Sony WM1A player. EU version, it was volume capped. I only bought it because I knew that it can be uncapped. Go to Rockbox.org and look if your model is listed there. After uncapping, it can easily drive my HD800 powerful and loud on high gain, which is deactivated on the EU capped version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back