Sennheiser HD820
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2,551 of 4,357
- Have to agree with your comments on the bass.
Listen to "Fortune Teller" by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.
Yes, this song (and most of that album) is bass heavy recorded and sounds bassy on just about any pair of phones but usually while distorting them.
No distortion on the HD820 even driving them pretty loud. I could even feel the bass.
I think people that find the HD820 doesn't have enough bass are use to bloated bass that distorts and bleeds into the midrange. like you get from the Z1R.

- So far this has been the closed headphone with the widest sound I heard. Pretty important to me as I plan it to be my top headphone for use with the Realiser.

- product number for the earpads is 507486. It's not on their website yet but you can probably order them by calling support for your country. No idea about the price, let us know when you find out?

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure the unique concave glass covers are delivering a bass experience that no other closed back headphone has been able to do. Very surprised there is little discussions on this. Instead 90% of critics are still pointing to the FR curve being "broken". I've spent most of my recent listening sessions with the HD820 and now wondering if I really need to keep an open back headphone.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,552 of 4,357
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure the unique concave glass covers are delivering a bass experience that no other closed back headphone has been able to do. Very surprised there is little discussions on this. Instead 90% of critics are still pointing to the FR curve being "broken". I've spent most of my recent listening sessions with the HD820 and now wondering if I really need to keep an open back headphone.

There's also the possibility of people hearing what they saw in a curve. :wink:

On the one hand I was also thinking I don't really need an open back anymore as the HD820 sounds as open as some open cans do but on the other hand the HD800(S), being the open version of these, is a whole other level of open compared to most phones so I'm keeping those.
The rest of my cans, mainly a bunch of pre- and post- HD600 iterations all give such a different sound compared to one another and aren't that expensive so I don't want to sell those as well. Second hand they'd go for not much more than 200 and they're worth much more to me so it'd be silly to sell them. Pretty happy with my Senn collection I must say. :)

I tried the Stellias and while they have many good traits (I like Focals even though they sound very different to Senns) they didn't sound open at all compared to the HD820s and Utopias.
They gave the feeling of having "more bass" than the HD820 but didn't reach as deep and weren't as clean. A bit muddier than the HD820's bass though reviewed on their own one could hardly call the Stellias bass muddy. The mids were a tad warmer which I like. Comfort wise, however much I like the comfort of all Senn headphones the Stellia's, like all Focals feel like they were molded around my head.
I decided not to buy them as the main thing I'm looking for in a closed pair of phones is a wide space/soundstage because they will be used mainly late a t night with a Realiser. I think it's impossible to do better than a HD820 for that application.

By the way, anyone here tried the HD820 or HD800S with an ifi PRO iCan or iDSD? Any comparisons with the Senn amps?

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #2,553 of 4,357
- Have to agree with your comments on the bass.
Listen to "Fortune Teller" by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.
Yes, this song (and most of that album) is bass heavy recorded and sounds bassy on just about any pair of phones but usually while distorting them.
No distortion on the HD820 even driving them pretty loud. I could even feel the bass.
I think people that find the HD820 doesn't have enough bass are use to bloated bass that distorts and bleeds into the midrange. like you get from the Z1R.

- So far this has been the closed headphone with the widest sound I heard. Pretty important to me as I plan it to be my top headphone for use with the Realiser.

- product number for the earpads is 507486. It's not on their website yet but you can probably order them by calling support for your country. No idea about the price, let us know when you find out?

I really dont know what people are saying...the bass is really vibrating my back throat, its not an exaggeration. no EQ, just listen through Chord hugo on tidal.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,554 of 4,357
There's also the possibility of people hearing what they saw in a curve. :wink:

On the one hand I was also thinking I don't really need an open back anymore as the HD820 sounds as open as some open cans do but on the other hand the HD800(S), being the open version of these, is a whole other level of open compared to most phones so I'm keeping those.
The rest of my cans, mainly a bunch of pre- and post- HD600 iterations all give such a different sound compared to one another and aren't that expensive so I don't want to sell those as well. Second hand they'd go for not much more than 200 and they're worth much more to me so it'd be silly to sell them. Pretty happy with my Senn collection I must say. :)

I tried the Stellias and while they have many good traits (I like Focals even though they sound very different to Senns) they didn't sound open at all compared to the HD820s and Utopias.
They gave the feeling of having "more bass" than the HD820 but didn't reach as deep and weren't as clean. A bit muddier than the HD820's bass though reviewed on their own one could hardly call the Stellias bass muddy. The mids were a tad warmer which I like. Comfort wise, however much I like the comfort of all Senn headphones the Stellia's, like all Focals feel like they were molded around my head.
I decided not to buy them as the main thing I'm looking for in a closed pair of phones is a wide space/soundstage because they will be used mainly late a t night with a Realiser. I think it's impossible to do better than a HD820 for that application.

By the way, anyone here tried the HD820 or HD800S with an ifi PRO iCan or iDSD? Any comparisons with the Senn amps?

is this the one you talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iDSD-Black-Label-Headphone/dp/B01MTNK3ZT

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,555 of 4,357
I really dont know what people are saying...the bass is really vibrating my back throat, its not an exaggeration. no EQ, just listen through Chord hugo on tidal.

Same here, no EQ, a Roon Nucleus connected to a Marantz NA-11S1 DAC via USB feeding a Sennheiser HDVA 600 balanced.
Own music library or Tidal and Quobuz via Roon.

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #2,557 of 4,357
Finally got a chance to fly with these (and a Mojo). While it was nice overall, to get them loud enough to block some of the airplane, noise leaked enough sound for my husband next to me to ask me to turn them down. YMMV but I'm sticking with my PXC 550s for flights. The 820s were great though for use in the lounge and such without bothering others.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #2,558 of 4,357
regardless of what its fr looks like, the hd820 didn't sound "broken" to me. it seemed to be a good approximation of the hd800s in closed-back form based on my memory of it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,559 of 4,357
Finally got a chance to fly with these (and a Mojo). While it was nice overall, to get them loud enough to block some of the airplane, noise leaked enough sound for my husband next to me to ask me to turn them down. YMMV but I'm sticking with my PXC 550s for flights. The 820s were great though for use in the lounge and such without bothering others.

I would agree, these do not block or isolate noise like my Mr. Speaker Ether C. Its a shame really, only if they made the pad a little smaller to fit and conform to most people face.

edit
I said that but I just double check but it fit perfect, I dont think stronger clamping force would help, maybe Sennheiser did thought of everything.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #2,560 of 4,357

I've been thinking of getting a pair of Bluetooth phones for a while and always seem to come to the choice between the PXC 550, Momentum and Audeze Mobius.
Although the Mobius has the advantage of adding some virtual surround it doesn't seem to do it for most of the devices I would want it for: IOS, Xbox, Mac.
Have you heard the Momentum and Mobius as well as the PXC 550?

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #2,561 of 4,357
Getting OT but I also have the Mobius. Can indeed do 7.1 surround via Mobius and Apple CCK and can also do virtual surround via Bluetooth. I guess for flying I prefer the PXC 550. It's far lighter, more comfortable (far more than the Sony or Bose NC cans for me), and has good enough NC on a plane. I use the Mobius mostly at home via Bluetooth to watch TV when my partner sleeps. They're still pretty darn impressive to me in terms of surround sound from a stereo bluetooth signal.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #2,562 of 4,357
Getting OT but I also have the Mobius. Can indeed do 7.1 surround via Mobius and Apple CCK and can also do virtual surround via Bluetooth. I guess for flying I prefer the PXC 550. It's far lighter, more comfortable (far more than the Sony or Bose NC cans for me), and has good enough NC on a plane. I use the Mobius mostly at home via Bluetooth to watch TV when my partner sleeps. They're still pretty darn impressive to me in terms of surround sound from a stereo bluetooth signal.

Thanks!
I keep having a hard time choosing between the three resulting in postponing the purchase.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #2,563 of 4,357
Thanks!
I keep having a hard time choosing between the three resulting in postponing the purchase.
The obvious solution is to buy them all!:wink:

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #2,564 of 4,357
The obvious solution is to buy them all!:wink:

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back