Sennheiser HD820
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #2,536 of 4,357
Very true but I am using 1 cable for 6 headphones which makes the cost more reasonable.
All things considered his cables aren't too expensive when compared to the crazy prices some other cable makers ask.

Yes i was just referring to myself!
For your case is an investment.
One reason turning my self to FAW was the cost , the others were great customer feedback and a hunch!

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,537 of 4,357
Yes i was just referring to myself!
For your case is an investment.
One reason turning my self to FAW was the cost , the others were great customer feedback and a hunch!

Indeed, if I only had one lower priced headphone to use the cable with I would have chosen the Copper series as well.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2,538 of 4,357
I don't know , the HD800s are at the High end forum

Well, I'll put on my best elitist snobby Summit Hi-Fi impersonation:

"There is no such thing as a closed back headphone in high end hifi."

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #2,539 of 4,357
Well, I'll put on my best elitist snobby Summit Hi-Fi impersonation:

"There is no such thing as a closed back headphone in high end hifi."

I'd rather prefer that everything from the Summit-Fi forum gets moved to the amp and headphone forums.
I fail to see why some 2k+ cans are considered high-end while they sound awful and 400€ cans that sound really good aren't considered well enough. Nowadays price and quality are all too often out of balance.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #2,541 of 4,357
I plugged brother’s draug 2 cable by norneaudio into my 820 today and I didn’t like how the cable brighten up the vocals to the extend it was hard to distinct the seperation.

Vocals on the 820 with stock cable although sounded nasal and somewhat muffled. It was still quite enjoyable listening to it due to its natural character.

How will the forza change the sound signature? Any inputs ?

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,542 of 4,357
I plugged brother’s draug 2 cable by norneaudio into my 820 today and I didn’t like how the cable brighten up the vocals to the extend it was hard to distinct the seperation.

Vocals on the 820 with stock cable although sounded nasal and somewhat muffled. It was still quite enjoyable listening to it due to its natural character.

How will the forza change the sound signature? Any inputs ?

Maybe. What is your source/amp?

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #2,544 of 4,357
I run a similar combo and find myself often disillusioned as I watch upgraditis turn to sidegraditis ... or worse...
Everything else I've purchased in similar price ranges as these two ended up right back on the market ... Haven't gotten into the summit priced gear like Abyss, Utopia, LCD4, etc... I keep telling myself that they can't be 2 or 3 times better than a well run HD800S.

So yeah, HDV820 is the real deal!

I have both 800S and 820, both running on HDV 820.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #2,545 of 4,357
I run a similar combo and find myself often disillusioned as I watch upgraditis turn to sidegraditis ... or worse...
Everything else I've purchased in similar price ranges as these two ended up right back on the market ... Haven't gotten into the summit priced gear like Abyss, Utopia, LCD4, etc... I keep telling myself that they can't be 2 or 3 times better than a well run HD800S.

So yeah, HDV820 is the real deal!

Same here. Started with something similar to what I have now and only realized how good it was after years of detour but I did enjoy the experience.
But it seems I haven't learned it yet since now the closed Focal offerings make me wonder ...

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #2,546 of 4,357
I had the clear for a while, I must say it felt like the one companion I might pick up too the HD800S only because it manages to make almost anything I throw at it sound great. Just a little more weight and a little less speed than the HD800S, I found it very enjoyable and may decide to pick one up in the future... if they can do something about those pads that tend to keep sweat and face oil stains on them.
I see some pretty interesting prices on new Stellias, might pick that up and get rid of the HD820, the HD800S though is never leaving my desk!

Same here. Started with something similar to what I have now and only realized how good it was after years of detour but I did enjoy the experience.
But it seems I haven't learned it yet since now the closed Focal offerings make me wonder ...

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,547 of 4,357
I found it very enjoyable and may decide to pick one up in the future... if they can do something about those pads that tend to keep sweat and face oil stains on them.

Hopefully, Massdrop will have the black Elex pads available again in the future. $60/pr. That should solve the issues with the Clear pads that can stain easily. I am actually getting used to the Dekoni Fenstrated sheepskin pads on my Clears. The factory pads have been put away.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,548 of 4,357
This thing have a lot of Bass, jeez, I'm listening to

I like it - Cardi B (Dillon Francis Remix) (on Tidal)

jeez the bass hit deep, the back of my throat is vibrating, my Ether C hit deep but not this deep...I cant see how people would want more bass.

The fact that OEM earpads are no where to be found for sale is disturbing....What is sennheiser doing? trying to squeeze 200 bucks out of an earpads replacement?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #2,549 of 4,357
This thing have a lot of Bass, jeez, I'm listening to

I like it - Cardi B (Dillon Francis Remix) (on Tidal)

jeez the bass hit deep, the back of my throat is vibrating, my Ether C hit deep but not this deep...I cant see how people would want more bass.

The fact that OEM earpads are no where to be found for sale is disturbing....What is sennheiser doing? trying to squeeze 200 bucks out of an earpads replacement?

- Have to agree with your comments on the bass.
Listen to "Fortune Teller" by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.
Yes, this song (and most of that album) is bass heavy recorded and sounds bassy on just about any pair of phones but usually while distorting them.
No distortion on the HD820 even driving them pretty loud. I could even feel the bass.
I think people that find the HD820 doesn't have enough bass are use to bloated bass that distorts and bleeds into the midrange. like you get from the Z1R.

- So far this has been the closed headphone with the widest sound I heard. Pretty important to me as I plan it to be my top headphone for use with the Realiser.

- product number for the earpads is 507486. It's not on their website yet but you can probably order them by calling support for your country. No idea about the price, let us know when you find out?

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #2,550 of 4,357
- Have to agree with your comments on the bass.
Listen to "Fortune Teller" by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.
Yes, this song (and most of that album) is bass heavy recorded and sounds bassy on just about any pair of phones but usually while distorting them.
No distortion on the HD820 even driving them pretty loud. I could even feel the bass.
I think people that find the HD820 doesn't have enough bass are use to bloated bass that distorts and bleeds into the midrange. like you get from the Z1R.

- So far this has been the closed headphone with the widest sound I heard. Pretty important to me as I plan it to be my top headphone for use with the Realiser.

- product number for the earpads is 507486. It's not on their website yet but you can probably order them by calling support for your country. No idea about the price, let us know when you find out?

t bone burnett's production on raising sand is dense and bass heavy. i'm not surprised that the hd820 doesn't sound wanting for bass with that album. that said, i'm one of those people who found the hd820 somewhat bass lite (i feel the same way about the hd800 and hd800s) but that's not because i favour "bloated bass that distorts and bleeds into the midrange" over well defined bass that doesn't dominate. i do wish that people would just speak for themselves rather than make sweeping generalisations about other people's audio experiences and preferences.

the z1r's bass is undoubtedly boosted relative to the rest of the fr. the hd820 and z1r have such different sound signatures that i find it easier to contrast them than to compare them. i'm not sure if i did end up preferring one over the other when i compared them tbh. i do intend to compare them again along with the stellia. i suspect that i may prefer the stellia to them both based on my brief audition of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back