Sennheiser HD820
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,506 of 4,346
Of course. My initial reply was for owners who feel they need a tighter fit for optimal sound. "Majority of the general public" is a pretty broad statement and if you are happy with the default fit then as I also stated, a tighter seal will be detrimental to the sound quality since I believe HD 820 was not designed for an "air tight" seal.

I also asked if there are any other ways to increase ear pad pressure and Sennheiser says none at this time. Perhaps some 3rd party pads will come out in the future with thicker pads.

Not that I have the Senn 820s, but I have the AKG K550s which are also a trouble maker in regards to there seal which effects SQ and isolation alot. I recently fixed this with 3rd party brainwavz XL sheepskin pads, now I get the seal from just throwing them on due to the thicker pads, so just a theory but yeah Senn 820 thicker pads may solve the seal issue.

And cheers for the bungie trick, I may do it if my K550s get too loose.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #2,508 of 4,346
While we're on the topic of pads, I just got my HD820 today actually. Does anybody know what pads would fit these? These are my favorite headphones right now, just inching out my Ether Flow C. My only gripe is that I can't get a good seal with the stock pads so the bass feels like it's a little bit lacking.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,509 of 4,346
Thanks for this clarification
I was thinking buying the HD820 with the same HK store having this very challenging price
Any issue on the delivery ? Headphones and package totally new and package completed ?
Concerning their guarantee policy, any comments from this e-store ? Can we benefit in this case of a direct Sennheiser worldwide guarantee if any ?
Thanks for any additional comments to confirm the professionalism of this platform

I got the HD820 within a few days from ordering them from the e-infinity store.

I think they use FedEx Next Day shipping. I'd recommend them.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #2,510 of 4,346
It is nice to know about the bungie cord trick to tighten these up a bit. However , like I mentioned earlier, I seem to get a good seal all around no matter how I move them around on my head. And I am getting used to the feeling of a light seal. Also, they are sounding better every day. Or so it seems for now I have no reason to tighten them at all. Only had them one week so far, so I'm still loving them, as they break in. should only get better with time.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2,511 of 4,346
Rather than theorize, here is the official response from Sennheiser support regarding tightening the HD820 ear pads:

"Wrap a bungie cord or elastic band around the earcups to hold them together when the headphones are not in use. This will slowly tighten up the headband to conform to the shape of your head. We design our headphones to fit the majority of the general public, but in some cases they do not fit everyone. Leave the headphones wrapped up until the headband reaches your desired tightness. I do not recommend using your hands, as you could snap the headset. An elastic band or bungie cord will apply equal pressure and will tighten the headband slowly, without risking damaging the headset."

Mm..will this solve the seal problem? Someone please try this first and post a youtube video. Then, I ll try it on mine. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,512 of 4,346
Mm..will this solve the seal problem? Someone please try this first and post a youtube video. Then, I ll try it on mine. :ksc75smile:

LOL, I'm not sure if the the bungie cord will do much if the sides of your head are not relatively flat due to the large ear pads. In my case my initial seal issue was at the top of the ear pads. I thought about bending the head band, but realized that wouldn't do much because the attachment point of the yokes to the cups are designed to swivel to account for different head shapes. What I needed was to get the cups to swivel more in at the top of the pads. I got this by simply shortening 2 clicks on each side to where the lower part of my ear lob just touches the inner part of the pad. This created an even seal for me and works even with my glasses. So in brief, I would try this first before bending the headband:

1) If the upper part of the pad is not sealing, shorten the yokes. Test this by applying gentle pressure on the top of the pads.

2) If the lower part of the pad is not sealing, lengthen the yokes. Test this by applying gentle pressure on the bottom of the pads.

3) Once height position is established, move the pads a little front to back of the head to get the best seal. You can also tilt the headphone slight forward or back.

4) While this sounds like a lot of fidgeting. You will eventually get to a point of "touch memory" where you know the best position by how the pads feel on your head.

By adjusting as described above, I think you find the optimal swivel point relative to your head so that ear pads apply equal pressure top to bottom. After doing this, if you still find you need a tighter seal, then and only then should you consider bending/tightening the metal head band.

Feb 23, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2,514 of 4,346
Curious as to what amps owners are using with these and your impressions of them. For those who also have the 800 or 800S do you find the 820 does as well on the same amps?

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #2,515 of 4,346
Curious as to what amps owners are using with these and your impressions of them. For those who also have the 800 or 800S do you find the 820 does as well on the same amps?

I have both 800S and 820, both running on HDV 820.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #2,517 of 4,346
I've got the Dekoni Audio Fenestrated Sheepskin which I installed on both 800s and 820.

When installed on the 800s, comfort vastly improve over stock pads while sound signature become very much similar to the stock 820, losing a bit of its shine on the highs. At this point, it does made me wonder why did I even buy the 820 ? :\

When installed on the 820, comfort slightly improve over stock pads as the pads were thicker than the original ones. While at the same time, it felt more of a close back headphone than before, which may not necessary be good as some might feel a bit more pressure surrounding the ear etc.

For those 820 users commenting on the pads, should try out the Dekoni pads for the least.

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #2,518 of 4,346
I've got the Dekoni Audio Fenestrated Sheepskin which I installed on both 800s and 820.

When installed on the 800s, comfort vastly improve over stock pads while sound signature become very much similar to the stock 820, losing a bit of its shine on the highs. At this point, it does made me wonder why did I even buy the 820 ? :\

When installed on the 820, comfort slightly improve over stock pads as the pads were thicker than the original ones. While at the same time, it felt more of a close back headphone than before, which may not necessary be good as some might feel a bit more pressure surrounding the ear etc.

For those 820 users commenting on the pads, should try out the Dekoni pads for the least.

Were you able to put them on with no problem? The HD820 earpad molding are not constructed the same way the HD800 are.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,519 of 4,346
CB5A5D42-C7CF-4814-AD75-49C669A1C812 (1).jpeg

820 and 800 earpads are definitely different but Dekoni's pad fit without any issue at all.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2,520 of 4,346
Is anyone planning to switch out the cables for third party ones such as cardas, danacable etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back