Sennheiser HD820
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #331 of 4,357
imo, if it can retain or is close to the soundstage of HD800/S, otherwise it will be more make sense to get the older models.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #332 of 4,357
My take: I´m fully expecting this to sound better overall than the HD 800 S. Make no mistake, this is going against the Focal Clear and Utopia despite being a closed can. Pricing reflects this as well. The high end market has been demanding deeper bass from TOTL headphones for a long time already and it´s likely there´s no other way to increase bass with the ring driver technology.

There are tons of people out there who love the HD 800 S (or HD 800 modded) sound, but just wish it just had better bass extension and perhaps a more intimate soundstage. Well, bass isn´t going to be a problem this time - the big question is how well Sennheiser can work around the usual issues that come with closed designs.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #334 of 4,357
My take: I´m fully expecting this to sound better overall than the HD 800 S. Make no mistake, this is going against the Focal Clear and Utopia despite being a closed can. Pricing reflects this as well. The high end market has been demanding deeper bass from TOTL headphones for a long time already and it´s likely there´s no other way to increase bass with the ring driver technology.

There are tons of people out there who love the HD 800 S (or HD 800 modded) sound, but just wish it just had better bass extension and perhaps a more intimate soundstage. Well, bass isn´t going to be a problem this time - the big question is how well Sennheiser can work around the usual issues that come with closed designs.
agreed

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #338 of 4,357
Excuse my lack of knowledge but this pentaconn termination was already used on the 660s right? This means what? 3.5 is dead?

Sorry for asking.... :D
3.5 is not dead, 4.4 Pentacon is a balanced connector used on SONY DAPs and Sennheiser amps. It is a new standard.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #341 of 4,357
But this leaves the 3.5 where? Is this pentaconn termination meant to replace it on smartphones and etc?

It doesn't compete with 3.5mm or even 6.3mm, it's aiming to replace 4-pin XLR, who knows if it will succeed there, but as for smartphones? No, Pentaconn is not going to replace it on smartphones, smartphones are going jackless altogether... and some will hold onto 3.5mm, of course, at least for now.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #342 of 4,357
But this leaves the 3.5 where? Is this pentaconn termination meant to replace it on smartphones and etc?
Balanced is a different amplifier topology. It can be found on audiophile devices more and more. There is also a 2.5 mm balanced plug, but that one is mechanically unstable so SONY and others created the new Pentagon 4.4 mm plug.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #343 of 4,357
If i was to pick em up id get new cabling for it, probably prion 4, 4 pin xlr. But since i got a bass canon closed la900 have to figure where this fits.
unless this is a portable solution like diana but different. I like my encore tho, decisions decisions, luscious.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #344 of 4,357
Curious how they sound. In my experience, closed back with a bright tuning invariably sounds weird. If these are tune to sound like hd800 (i.e., very bright), then...

So please someone share their impressions!

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #345 of 4,357
Excuse my lack of knowledge but this pentaconn termination was already used on the 660s right? This means what? 3.5 is dead?

Sorry for asking.... :D

These are likely to be too inefficient to be driven by phones. Only the LG phones with their unique high impedance mode can have a go at HD800s and then they are a bit quiet for some genres. I imagine a 3.5mm adaptor will be in the box somwhere, but these don't look portable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back