Sennheiser HD820
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,054 of 4,356
Is it not the case that the sound profile will be a bit different especially in the bass. If so then that would be something to consider if that matters to you in the same way it seems to bother Meghan Trainor............
It’s all about the bass
I believe for many it will boil down to.. does it have more bass at the sacrifice of the large sound stage.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,055 of 4,356
It’s all about the bass
I believe for many it will boil down to.. does it have more bass at the sacrifice of the large sound stage.
The soundstage in question, how can we know that it is really smaller?

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,057 of 4,356
The soundstage in question, how can we know that it is really smaller?
I haven't heard these cans (yet) but after reading several first impressions. In most of the cases the report is that the soundstage is indeed smaller.

But i want to hear from @Sennheiser is there any benefit or a reason to pickup HD820 if the sound-isolation or leakage isn't a problem in HD800S?

Because in the past, the Sennheiser's naming indicates that HD820 is more superior to the HD800S. (HD559,HD569,HD599,HD600,HD650,HD660S,HD700,HD800) In all previous models, the sound quality was (arguably) rising when the product-number rises. But your technical data in the product page says different story in the frequency response. "HD820 6-48,000Hz (-10dB) vs. HD800S 4 - 51,000Hz (-10dB)"

Is the naming because of all the patents/technology that went into this product, or what's the story behind the naming? Or is the HD820 actually superior to the HD800S in terms of sound quality? And when i speak about sound quality, i don't speak just about the frequency response. Things like soundstage and imaging are huge factors to me, when comparing if one product is better over another.

Thanks in advance for the response :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,058 of 4,356
@Sennheiser Quick and stupid question, if you have HD800S and the leaking of sound/the fact that others can hear your music doesn't bother you.

Is there any benefit or a reason to pick up the HD820?

I personally would suspect that HD820 is really only for those who need closed cans - open usually preferable every time!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,059 of 4,356
@Whitigir,
The HD 820 includes the same oxygen-free copper cables as the HD 800 S, except we also include the CH 800 P balanced cable with the Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced connector as a third option.

For those of us with older amps, that don't have Pentaconn outputs (e.g. mine has 3-pin and 4-pin (stereo) XLR), what will be the best way to listen to the 820? Is there a way to take advantage of the newer technology? Or should we just limit ourselves to the included single-ended RCA cable?

Pentaconn may be great, but I'd rather not have to buy a new amp to hear the 820s at their best.

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,060 of 4,356
For those of us with older amps, that don't have Pentaconn outputs (e.g. mine has 3-pin and 4-pin (stereo) XLR), what will be the best way to listen to the 820? Is there a way to take advantage of the newer technology? Or should we just limit ourselves to the included single-ended RCA cable?

Pentaconn may be great, but I'd rather not have to buy a new amp to hear the 820s at their best.
If you have a proper unbalanced amp, there is no reason to buy an new amp for you.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,061 of 4,356
I know this. But if you listen at home, and you live alone.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do understand that when you are living with someone in small apartment/when in work. It's a different story.

What i asked that if you live alone, is there any reason or benefit in terms of sound quality, to go with HD820.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,063 of 4,356
I personally would suspect that HD820 is really only for those who need closed cans - open usually preferable every time!
Absolutely! If you find bass a little lacking on some files a Schiit Loki works quite well with my HD800S. IMO everyone can benefit from an Eitr and a Loki. Buy those first before new phones you may find you really don't need new phones at all, and if all you have is buyer's itch would scratch it and save money:)

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #1,064 of 4,356
* Made in Romania *

Very happy to read that Sennheiser is building a factory in Romania, the fourth. Others are located in : Germany, Ireland and USA. It will be located in Brașov, Romania and will be ready at the end of this year. Not really sure if HD820 will be manufactured there, but this is great news.
Looking forward to more video reviews.

I'm from Brasov and I want to work at the new Sennheiser factory!
I wonder, if I bring a bag of all my Sennheiser headphones as my CV, will they accept me? :o2smile:
Seriously speaking @Sennheiser what are the requirements for a tester / QA job at Sennheiser in Brasov?

https://www.romania-insider.com/sennheiser-fourth-factory-romania/

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,065 of 4,356

Users who are viewing this thread

Back