Sennheiser HD820
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #826 of 4,356
I really, really like the HD800S. Shares my favorite spot with the ported HEKv2.

A closed back version with decent isolation and a similar sound signature appeals to me, but the price is a little steep. Think I will wait a while for some user feedback to build up and for some special deals to come online.

Did he say it sounded like the 800 or 800S? Because I took his comment a different way. I thought he was saying it sounded like the original 800 which made me throw up in my mouth. Now if he meant the S, then I’m in.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #827 of 4,356
Did he say it sounded like the 800 or 800S? Because I took his comment a different way. I thought he was saying it sounded like the original 800 which made me throw up in my mouth. Now if he meant the S, then I’m in.

Has to be HD800S - it's black, after all :sunglasses:

It would be kinda insane for Senn to bring out the HD800S, which 'fixes' the issues of the HD800 (bass response and treble spike), and then use the original (flawed) HD800 to build the closed can on.

Then again, weirder things have happened.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #828 of 4,356
Has to be HD800S - it's black, after all :sunglasses:

It would be kinda insane for Senn to bring out the HD800S, which 'fixes' the issues of the HD800 (bass response and treble spike), and then use the original (flawed) HD800 to build the closed can on.

Then again, weirder things have happened.

Really hope you’re right. That does make sense though.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #829 of 4,356
So I was listening to the 820s at CanJam and I wasn’t remotely impressed. It felt like a slightly inferior version of the 800S. I understand that was somewhat the goal, in that they wanted to get as close as possible to the 800S in quality but I personally have zero interest in paying more for essentially an inferior product. However there will be people where the closed back is absolutely necessary so if they like the 800S then they’ll probably like the 820s.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #830 of 4,356
So I was listening to the 820s at CanJam and I wasn’t remotely impressed. It felt like a slightly inferior version of the 800S. I understand that was somewhat the goal, in that they wanted to get as close as possible to the 800S in quality but I personally have zero interest in paying more for essentially an inferior product. However there will be people where the closed back is absolutely necessary so if they like the 800S then they’ll probably like the 820s.
Please, inferior/better is subjective and if you don't say why (how the 820 sounds, bass mid treble soundstage resolution speed whatever) is totally useless for the readers.
How the 820 sounds compared to the 800S?

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #831 of 4,356
Please, inferior/better is subjective and if you don't say why (how the 820 sounds, bass mid treble soundstage resolution speed whatever) is totally useless for the readers.

Your sennheiser collection impressed me. Is there any chance for you to expand your universe?:grin:

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #832 of 4,356
Your sennheiser collection impressed me. Is there any chance for you to expand your universe?:grin:
"Me" and my family hope not :dt880smile:

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #833 of 4,356
Alright. Soundstage seems noticeably worse than the 800S. Bass is slightly better but fairly identical for the most part. They’re very similar but the reduced soundstage kills it for me.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #834 of 4,356
Alright. Soundstage seems noticeably worse than the 800S. Bass is slightly better but fairly identical for the most part. They’re very similar but the reduced soundstage kills it for me.

Ether C or Ether C flow has a fairly large soundstage for being a closed back. I wonder how do they compare if someone has any experiences.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #835 of 4,356
This and everything that i have heard from Sennheiser Reps and from Axel Grell, this didn't surprise me at all. HD820 wasn't suppose to be HD800S successor. Rather an twin with it's own characters.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #836 of 4,356
This and everything that i have heard from Sennheiser Reps and from Axel Grell, this didn't surprise me at all. HD820 wasn't suppose to be HD800S successor. Rather an Identical twin with it's own characters.
I was at the seminar today where Grell talked about the design and he seemed super reluctant to say they were better. He felt more comfortable saying they were alternatives to the 800S than anything about them being an actual successor.

It’s worth noting too that what I listened to was the prototypes as they’re having problems with the lower end of the frequency spectrum and so the final version in theory should have better bass.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #837 of 4,356

This and everything that i have heard from Sennheiser Reps and from Axel Grell, this didn't surprise me at all. HD820 wasn't suppose to be HD800S successor. Rather an Identical twin with it's own characters.

Many people like hd800/hd800s because of their wide soundstage/imaging. Without its characteristic soundstage, I am unsure where to find its strength for a given price point.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #838 of 4,356
800S. Sorry for any confusion.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #839 of 4,356
The same could be said about any other headphone manufacturers products though.
I've listened to the 800S at an airport. Every single high end audio shop I've been to has Sennheiser cans. The same can't be said about other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back