Sennheiser HD820
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #226 of 4,346
https://patents.google.com/patent/D...l&assignee=sennheiser&after=priority:20160101
At least they have patent for planars. It's unsure will Senn use this planar patent in the HD820, judging it's pretty recent one (2016/05) they might...(?)

Credit to @iDesign from "other forum" for finding this.
I doubt it, they would likely use a different earcup design, while what we've seen so far looks more like a modified version of the HD800's design.
If they go planar, I'd expect it to be a different series (HD900).

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #227 of 4,346
I doubt it, they would likely use a different earcup design, while what we've seen so far looks more like a modified version of the HD800's design.
If they go planar, I'd expect it to be a different series (HD900).

I’d expect it to be a whole seperate line. Like how the HE1 is separated from the HD series.

Dec 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #232 of 4,346
is Senn gonna make planars?

Since electrostatics have planar (flat) diaphragms too, they technically already did, in the form of the Orpheus HE 90, HE 60, and HE 1.

Most people mean planar magnetic when they say planar, but this is not entirely correct. Some refer to both 'stats and planar magnetics when they talk about planars. There are other headphone technologies that employ flat drivers as well, but they are less common.

Electrostatic > Planar> Dynamic my friend

I agree with this for the most part.

(Though in some instances I may prefer a dynamic over a planar magnetic. Each technology has its strengths and weaknesses. Oh, and to make matters more confusing, planar magnetic drivers are both dynamic and planar! It all depends on the context you use.)

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #233 of 4,346
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #235 of 4,346
I'm hoping these will be closed back headphones. There's lots of amazing TOTL open headphones from Focal Utopia to Senn themselves with theHD800s. Not many TOTL closed back...Z1r, ZMF Eikon....and Senn dosen't have anything super high-end in the closed back market.

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #236 of 4,346
I'm hoping these will be closed back headphones. There's lots of amazing TOTL open headphones from Focal Utopia to Senn themselves with theHD800s. Not many TOTL closed back...Z1r, ZMF Eikon....and Senn dosen't have anything super high-end in the closed back market.
IT IS A CLOSED BACK HEADPHONE

REGARDS NOMAX

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #237 of 4,346
Owned the 800S, sold them.
Borrowed the Utopias for a week. Sound similar to the 800S with more bass.
Toying with the idea of a utopia purchase.
Would luv to have a option of a senn 800S with more bass.
Could this new model be a 800S with more bass?

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #238 of 4,346
Could be. A closed HD800s should bring more bottom just based on the fact that it's closed.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #240 of 4,346
If Senn choose not to completely switch to rigid materials (metal, ceramics, etc.) to build their dynamics they could be developing planar magnetics since it's nearly the only way left to lever the performance of polymer membranes.
However I doubt they will stick to that traditional planar driver design as they showed in that patent. That one is obviously inefficient, as we have so many TOTL planars that behave like loudspeakers these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back