1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD820

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Dulalala, Apr 29, 2017.
First

Back
109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129
Next

Last
  1. 8bitme
    Hi. New member here and I've ordered these cans recently for mixing music and they should arrive early next week. Looking forward to try them out soon. :)

Sennheiser and Malfunkt like this.
  2. Roger Dodger
    You and me both. There are thousands of headphoneolics eagerly awaiting that package delivery.

3. smodtactical
    https://en-us.sennheiser.com/returns-cancellations

Isn't it only 30 days?

QueueCumber likes this.
  4. 8bitme
  5. saint.panda Contributor
    Returned mine. Amazing with some classical and electronic music but prefer my modded HD650 80% of the time. Didn't want to keep a 2.5k pair of headphones for some tracks and HD650 sound leakage is tolerable enough for open office use.

Pros:
    - Deep, hard hitting bass on the right setup. Very nice.
    - Impressive soundstage for closed headphones. Still sounds like a closed headphone but impressive nonetheless.
    - Details, instrument placement, clarity

Cons:
    - Uneven frequency response. Just too bright and thin in some spots. Probably fixable with EQ

6. pietcux
    And your modded HD650 probably has an even frequency response?

7. 8bitme
    How did you test this? As I will be using them for mixing that's very disappointing to read.

8. QueueCumber
    Thanks
    Post amended to reflect 30 day return policy. My mistake, I was confusing it with other online places where I order audio equipment ...

I agree with it being thin in some areas of the high-midrange and low treble. At least in comparison to the Utopia and Susvara.

Bright, I don’t hear at all personally, but perhaps that’s because I’m comparing with the Utopia which can be grating sometimes for me.

Bass sometimes has a little disconnect at the very low end, but that seems to be when the instrument is panned to extreme right or left with little to no crossfeed to the alternate ear.

It seems like the FR curve on the 820 is generally what is wanted on headphones to compensate for human hearing curves. It’s not far off of flat and is accentuated in reasonable places. Perhaps that is why it sounds better to me than the 800S.

As far as comparing them to the Susvara, which I was able to acquire again recently, there is still no comparison. Susvara is still in a whole other ballpark of sound. However, I’m very happy with the 820 considering they are closed-back. It ticks all the right boxes for me and allows me to listen while there is ambient noise in the room or my GF sleeping next to me.

Price of course is relative for different people. Do I wish I paid $1500 versus full price? Of course. I’m not going to return them and wait for availability on the secondhand market though. The premium was worth it to be an early adapter, IMO.

cardeli22 likes this.
  9. Beagle
    With his ears?

DancingBlue likes this.
  10. FastAndClean
    with his oven, it was a lot of burn in before that

DancingBlue likes this.
  11. raypin
    Mm...thinking out loud: stop comparing the HD 820 with the Utopia, the Susvara and the HD 800/S. It is a CLOSED BACK. It is apples vs. oranges and not a fair comparison. IMO, open backs will always have that advantage. Can someone (unless I missed it in this thread) compare it with other closed-backs? Sony Z1R? Ether C Flow? Audeze LCD XC? Etc.

Mine hasn’t arrived yet :frowning2: . Is it still somewhere over the rainbow?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    DancingBlue and Beagle like this.
  12. QueueCumber
    DAD937C2-3B81-4CC6-930F-3497192EFCE6.jpeg

For some of us the 820 sounds better than the 800S. Not the other way around. So to me it seems fair to compare it with other open-back HPs. They’re also the only headphones I currently have with which to draw comparisons.

I’d love to hear other closed-back comparisons as well, and would be happy to give my impressions if someone wants to send me some... :ksc75smile:

cardeli22 likes this.
  13. 329161
    Actually I think it is fair as Sennheiser has made a big deal of it's new technology and how it's supposed to make it sound like an open headphone.

ModuZzz and QueueCumber like this.
  14. musickid
    can anyone recommend comfortable open cans up to the price of the 820? not mr speakers or hd800/s due to comfort issues. looking for a wide soundstage.

15. 329161
    You should clarify what your requirements for comfort are. The HD800(s) are generally regarded as amongst the most comfortable headphones available, so your requirements may be specific to you.

Sennheiser, ModuZzz and raypin like this.
First

Back
109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118
120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129
Next

Last