1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD820

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Dulalala, Apr 29, 2017.
First

Back
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128
Next

Last
  1. 480126
    Sorry, I don´t think so. I only translate! sikki-six said it.

2. Audiotic
    I am so sorry. I responded to you while I was so upset! Verzeihe mir.
    So, the sadness goes to sikki-six. Why??

3. ModuZzz
    I'm not sure why he called you a shill necessarily; from my experience that's just how early adopters are, and that's how threads here start in general. I could be completely wrong, I only have been reading up on threads here for a couple of years, but the pattern is more or less the same, which in itself is fair. We are, after all, talking about early adopters, people who disregard the risks and jump in, taking a bullet for us, to purchase 2-3k headphones. And imagine buying something for that price and to find hp "meh...". So when I see early reviews here, saying things like it's the second coming of Christ.., well... I take it with a grain of salt. And of course we have shop owners reviewing hps recommending to buy an amp in the end of the review ))) As a rule it is genuinely safe to skip the first 150-200 pages of the thread once the dust settles in. But that's all IMHO, could be, and probably are, wrong.

However the reviews here are more or less what I've expected from a HD800 side grade, now I just need to listen for myself.

4. sikki-six
    I read your sound descriptions as overly positive, sounding almost like marketing for the product. It seems you were really that happy with the headphones, I’m sorry.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Audiotic likes this.
  5. pietcux
    Nichts! Alles gut haben muss. ..........!

6. pietcux
    To all here: be carefull , listening to superbly reproduced music can cause

HAPPINESS

7. QueueCumber
    The nice thing about buying from Sennheiser is their 30 (***corrected from 60 days***) day return policy. That policy gave me the confidence to preorder the 820 ears unheard. They’re great HPs with a number of strengths and a few weaknesses that are livable for me considering the trade-offs. I wouldn’t buy a big ticket item without a strong return policy unless I already knew I liked the item. I almost always buy from vendors with generous return policies. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Sennheiser, Bern2, Maelob and 2 others like this.
  8. greygrey
    hi
    does an ak sp1000 manage to drive them succesfully ?

9. Giraku
    I tired with my SP1000Cu. You can get enough volume, but it sounds a little thin. I could still enjoy the music but not in a optimal fashion. I much prefer the sound driven by Hugo 2 and Pro iDSD.

raypin likes this.
  10. FriedRice25
    Took the bullet. Bought the HD 820 after doing some listening in a shop before ordering. These area first impressions so take this with a grain of salt.

The HD 820 is an interesting one. I think if you expect a closed HD 800/HD 800S, you will be disappointed. They do not sound the same. The soundstage although very good for a closed headphone is considerably smaller than the soundstage of the HD 800/800S (which in my view was always a little „artificially“ wide). Also the sound of the HD 820 is very detailed and fuller/meatier (including a fuller bass) than the HD 800/HD 800S sound. So, if like me you do like the sound of the HD 800/HD 800S but found it a little bit on the thin side then the HD 820 might be an interesting option. After my initial listen what I like especially with the HD 820 is that It gives you the feeling of being in the same room as the musicians which have recorded whatever you are listening too and (if on the record) it also reproduces very well the sound of music being played/recorded in a big hall/room (such as in some live recordings).

So in short in my view the HD 820 is not a second (or counting the 800S a third) generation HD 800. It is a different sounding alternative. And here is where I think Sennheiser has an issue: the pricing. The HD 820 being an alternative there is really no reason for the big price difference between the HD 820 and the HD 800/HD 800S (except if I substantially underestimate the price of gorilla glass). However that price difference might contribute of people being disappointed when listening to the HD 820 because they are expecting more. On the other hand I appreciate that Sennheiser is a little bit in a strange spot as compared to other brands their top of the line models are fairly priced and for some people there is the perception that higher price means better sound...

Finally for the sake of completeness and full disclosure: I am from Switzerland and do speak German but am not associated with Sennheiser. Like it or not, the above is all me... :wink:

Sennheiser, Maelob and Beagle like this.
  11. PointyFox
    The HD820 has different ear pads, and if they compressed more than those on the HD800(S), that could account for the differences you heard, i.e. smaller sound stage with more bass.

12. FriedRice25
    Possible, although to me the pads of the HD 820 feel slightly thicker and stiffer than the HD 800S pads.

Sennheiser likes this.
  13. ubs28
    That is exactly the problem with me for the HD 820. The sound quality just doesn’t match it is price tag.

The AFC sounds amazing for it is price so I don’t buy the argument that closed headphone always sounds bad for it’s price.

14. Maelob
    I have a feeling that we are going to see price adjust over time like it happened with the Sony Z1r:fingers_crossed:

cardeli22 likes this.
  15. Roger Dodger
    Thanks for the time and effort it took to write (and the pictures too). Of course their worth it because that's what they cost.

First

Back
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128
Next

Last