Sennheiser HD820
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #4,351 of 4,356
I really like artic cables. What do you recommend hybrid? From my understanding silver makes the tonality brighter and cooper warmer. Thanks.
I think the "color" copper or silver affects people's hearing, the electrons that move the voice coils don't care one way or another and by the time the driver membrane excites the air molecules to set off a cascade of vibrations that eventually reach our ears to then be deciphered by our brain as music, well your guess is as good as mine, IMHO cooper will be just fine. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #4,352 of 4,356
Hey all, new to this thread. I posted one about looking for headphones and these HD820s really just speak to me. I mainly listen to blues, rock, some jazz, hip hop all that but my primary is gaming. I am working my way through all 290 pages but wanted to get some thoughts. I am really just down to this with a mojo 2 or WA11 or I am going to go IEM CA supermoon. I may be moving countries but still want a closed back or somethign a bit more private. I just want to live in my music. I dont mind learning to eq or whatever it takes. I game on a laptop and legion go and have apple music to endulge.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #4,353 of 4,356
I think if the money comes in I am going to do the HD820 and a Mojo 2. I will pick up a case to put it in for travel and can at least use them in a hotel. I can always use the Airpods Pro Gen 2 for my airplane travels. I have went back and forth on IEMs and other things but I just feel like the 820 is what speaks to me.

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #4,354 of 4,356
I think that’s a solid choice. The HD820 was my first „serious“ headphone, coming from an Ananda and checking through a large number of other HPs that were all not comfortable enough on my head, no matter their sonic qualities. Still love it, although the relationship has definitely „evolved“ over time… (see my post on the previous page) 😉

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #4,355 of 4,356
I’d like to add my thoughts on the HD820 here, a HP that is very dear to my heart and ears.
  • They don’t work equally well for everything and, here I agree with a number of reviews/posts which said this as well, they work especially well with a muscular amp and/or some tubes.
  • The pads, indeed, were a liability. I’m using Dekoni Elite Hybrid, which greatly improved the seal, comfort, and to a smaller extent also the overall sound (because of the better seal).
  • By far, the biggest, most impactful change, though, was switching to the WyWires Platinum, which added a weighty, organic, textured quality to the base that had me stop in my tracks. One of these rare AHA moments in this hobby of ours, when it’s not a little this or that or better or worse but a different dimension altogether.
  • All this considering that the reason I bought the HD820 in the first place was that they were the ONLY ones at the time, that I could accept as “comfortable” to wear while giving me a good enough sound, even in their original state.
So definitely not one to dismiss as fast and easily as done by so many…
Any way you can DM me or paste links to the cables and pads? I am still a noob and not sure I would pick the right ones. I just looked up the price of that cable, that may have to wait a bit. How are the ones at Hart Cable, Cable Corpse or what not?

I will probably use the mojo 2 or gryphon initially. I wasn't sure what the best end would be for the cable as a connector. My devices all have a 3.5mm or usb-c

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #4,356 of 4,356

Users who are viewing this thread

Back