Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #6,451 of 6,504
You can buy either headphone from Audio46 with free shipping and return them with zero restocking fee if you don't like them. All you risk is the return shipping. Buy them both and just keep the one you like. But you will certainly need a more powerful amp to drive the Aria well.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #6,452 of 6,504
You can buy either headphone from Audio46 with free shipping and return them with zero restocking fee if you don't like them. All you risk is the return shipping. Buy them both and just keep the one you like. But you will certainly need a more powerful amp to drive the Aria well.
I think I’ll do that. Thanks for the recommendation!

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #6,454 of 6,504
For instance, suppose you have a nice speaker amp already, but don't want to use the headphone jack if it has one. That can be a valid concern as most just stack resistors in the path. I escaped the need for a dedicated headamp years ago by having speaker tap cables made. I'm driving my HD800S right from my NAD M3 speaker terminals and it is glorious plain and simple. I doubt the Blue Hawaii would be better beyond sound signature preferences. I have used these speaker tap cables with the following headphones as well with perfect results: TH 900, TH 600, HE 560, HE 400i, Sony Z7, ZMF Vibro X, MT 220, LCD 2F so it works across the board.

Sorry I know you answered me before. But when you switched to your NAD amp did you find the bass got deeper and more impactful ? I ordered a cable from Ted Allen so I can try this out on my pass x350.8... hopefully won't blow up the 800S !

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #6,455 of 6,504
Sorry I know you answered me before. But when you switched to your NAD amp did you find the bass got deeper and more impactful ? I ordered a cable from Ted Allen so I can try this out on my pass x350.8... hopefully won't blow up the 800S !

The x350.8 is a lovely amp. Just be careful with the volume control on your source or preamp and you'll be fine.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #6,456 of 6,504
No, I didn't, but that is because I had a headphone amp that was able to drive the 800S well enough. If you have adequate, consistent clean power from any amp, more power on-tap waiting in storage won't matter. For me using my M3 was just to have one less box needed and because I knew as an amplifier there is no dedicated headphone amp that could possibly be a better power source. I think that you will enjoy the speaker-tap approach. Let us know for sure.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #6,457 of 6,504
The x350.8 is a lovely amp. Just be careful with the volume control on your source or preamp and you'll be fine.
Yep, I have never had an accident as I made it a habit to always be aware where the volume was. As my listening session ended while still wearing the headphones I always turned the volume wat down so that the next time I powered on I knew that the power level was low. Plus I always looked at the display to see where the volume was before hitting play at the source. Never once an issue.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #6,458 of 6,504
Yep, I have never had an accident as I made it a habit to always be aware where the volume was. As my listening session ended while still wearing the headphones I always turned the volume wat down so that the next time I powered on I knew that the power level was low. Plus I always looked at the display to see where the volume was before hitting play at the source. Never once an issue.

Do you recommend powering the pre and amp on first before plugging the headphone in? A friend of mine said to do this to avoid DC?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #6,459 of 6,504
Do you recommend powering the pre and amp on first before plugging the headphone in? A friend of mine said to do this to avoid DC?
I used to know if this was required/advised, but sadly I forget the technical rationale. I am pretty sure that I always powered the amp on first. Great question.

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #6,460 of 6,504
I keep the headphones plugged in at all times unless I'm changing to a different pair. In all cases the amp is the very last thing turned on, and the first thing turned off when I'm done.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #6,461 of 6,504
Since i mostly use tube amps i always plug in a cheap pair of headphones on startup until it gets warm

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #6,464 of 6,504
Is there a general consensus on which headphone gets the closest to the HD800/s sound stage ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back