Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #5,881 of 6,504
I just ordered a Schiit Jotunheim for my HD800-S. My Soundblaster x7 Limited Edition will act as my DAC for the immediate future. Ordered an RCA patch cable to pair the two.

Passed on the Dac module as I believe that has to be plugged into a PC via USB (no use since mine will be used with a PS4 Pro).

I was just reading your post about this in the X7 thread. I will be interested to hear how the Jot does. I sold my 800S, but I loved it so I still like to follow how others are enjoying it.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #5,882 of 6,504
  I was just reading your post about this in the X7 thread. I will be interested to hear how the Jot does. I sold my 800S, but I loved it so I still like to follow how others are enjoying it.

Out of curiosity, why would you sell the 800S "if you loved it"?

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #5,883 of 6,504

Out of curiosity, why would you sell the 800S "if you loved it"?

I love trying new signatures and I really needed a closed headphone so I used the funds toward a MDR Z1R. I miss the 800S believe me, but at this point a closed headphone is more what I needed.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #5,884 of 6,504
I love trying new signatures and I really needed a closed headphone so I used the funds toward a MDR Z1R. I miss the 800S believe me, but at this point a closed headphone is more what I needed.

I couldn't part with my HD800S, but I'd definitely sell my closed Ether C's if anyone's interested.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5,885 of 6,504
I couldn't part with my HD800S, but I'd definitely sell my closed Ether C's if anyone's interested.

Yes, if I didn't have at least a capable open headphone it would have been impossible to sell the 800S, but while the ONKYO A800 isn't as good as the 800S, it is still very, very good so I decided to go for a solid closed headphone. The Ether C was on my list, but I like strong bass and that sounded like an area where the Ether C was getting consistent mixed reviews so I didn't want to take a chance.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #5,886 of 6,504
Yes, if I didn't have at least a capable open headphone it would have been impossible to sell the 800S, but while the ONKYO A800 isn't as good as the 800S, it is still very, very good so I decided to go for a solid closed headphone. The Ether C was on my list, but I like strong bass and that sounded like an area where the Ether C was getting consistent mixed reviews so I didn't want to take a chance.

Probably a good choice not picking up the C', I mainly use the LCD 3's & HD800S. My C's have been collecting dust as of late. And I'd put them up for sale but I'm not exactly sure how to do so. I also had a bad experience selling on eBay so I've been reluctant to sell any expensive items online.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #5,887 of 6,504

were you not a th900 owner at one point, speaking of bass. How is the z1r?

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #5,888 of 6,504
Probably a good choice not picking up the C', I mainly use the LCD 3's & HD800S. My C's have been collecting dust as of late. And I'd put them up for sale but I'm not exactly sure how to do so. I also had a bad experience selling on eBay so I've been reluctant to sell any expensive items online.

Don't let that stop you, especially here. Sell while the resale value is best.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #5,889 of 6,504

I'm actually in a similar position regarding open and closed back headphones, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to use Z1R in public, they aren't the most isolating headphones out there. Not bad, but not the most isolating headphones. 

I heard an Z1R multiple times and for extended listening sessions. The signature is not even close to HD800S.

The quality alone is good, but the SQ is different enough, totally different tuning and signature was intended for something else. At least with my ears and in my experience.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #5,890 of 6,504

I'm actually in a similar position regarding open and closed back headphones, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to use Z1R in public, they aren't the most isolating headphones out there. Not bad, but not the most isolating headphones. 

I heard an Z1R multiple times and for extended listening sessions. The signature is not even close to HD800S.

The quality alone is good, but the SQ is different enough, totally different tuning and signature was intended for something else. At least with my ears and in my experience.

well th900 or la900 won't address leakage, most high end closed headphones have to leak. Otherwise your going into the commercial isolating hp market, bose, sony, beats .....

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #5,891 of 6,504

well th900 or la900 won't address leakage, most high end closed headphones have to leak. Otherwise your going into the commercial isolating hp market, bose, sony, beats .....

I know 
wink.gif

This is why this road is almost like a pain trip for me 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The closest thing I can just use would probably be Signature Dj from Ultrasone, they isolate really well and are comfy. I will test against HD800S and other big boys (Z1R, LCD4) and report back if Sig Dj is up to the task. 

From all the people you'll meet, I'm probably the most picky when it comes to music, but I learned to enjoy and appreciate things for what they are without imposing my rather obtuse tastes over everything. 

For the record, I do find HD800S to be one of the best headphones I've tried, but it is open... I had enough time with it to enjoy, but I can't use as my daily driver... 

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #5,892 of 6,504

For the record, I do find HD800S to be one of the best headphones I've tried, but it is open... I had enough time with it to enjoy, but I can't use as my daily driver... 

I didn't need a closed headphone per say as I had a private enough room, but I just wanted to own a large sounding, musical headphone with detail and tilted up bass. The Z1R delivers all of that for me and I wasn't looking for it to do what the 800S did. I would never wear it in public for many reasons and have never thought of the Z1R as even approaching portability (although I know a few owners who do wear them out in public).

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #5,893 of 6,504
  I didn't need a closed headphone per say as I had a private enough room, but I just wanted to own a large sounding, musical headphone with detail and tilted up bass. The Z1R delivers all of that for me and I wasn't looking for it to do what the 800S did. I would never wear it in public for many reasons and have never thought of the Z1R as even approaching portability (although I know a few owners who do wear them out in public).

I have seen someone wear a HD800 in public as well - so anything is possible with enough courage 
biggrin.gif

HD800 looks so stylish, but I would be worried to take it out unless it's perfectly dry outside and the temperature is no greater than 25 C nor lower than 5C. Albeit HD800S works from -10 to 55 if we follow their manual C

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #5,894 of 6,504

I have seen someone wear a HD800 in public as well - so anything is possible with enough courage 
biggrin.gif

HD800 looks so stylish, but I would be worried to take it out unless it's perfectly dry outside and the temperature is no greater than 25 C nor lower than 5C. Albeit HD800S works from -10 to 55 if we follow their manual C

Plus you would have to worry about debris blowing in.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #5,895 of 6,504
  Plus you would have to worry about debris blowing in.

I think I would take something like an Ultrasone Signature Dj out though. They look sturdy enough 
wink.gif

BTW, I made a review of HD800S! Hope you find it a good read and that I am not obtuse enough for my hearing to turn this review controversial 
eek.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-800-s/reviews/18064

Users who are viewing this thread

Back