Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 9, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #5,837 of 6,504
That might be one of the best choices HD800S atleast. For HD800 Tube whould still be no brainer i think.

I feel that the HD 800 deserves quality amplification to sound its best. Its an exceptional headphone which REQUIRES exceptional power/amplification.
For a more "musical" sound, tubes are better but still quality amplification is a must.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #5,839 of 6,504
Brah??? So tubes cant be a quality amplification?

In no way did I mean that tube amps can't provide quality amplification. What I said was that be it solid state or tube the amplification quality must be top notch. The type of amp you will choose to power the 800 will be according to your tastes/preference but the amplification provided by said amp must be of the higest order. Otherwise a lot of the performance is left untapped.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #5,840 of 6,504
Hello, I am looking for a aftermarket cable (4pinXLR balance) for my HD800S. My budget is around 200EUR. The stock cable is just too long and inconvenient. I am looking for something around 1.5m. Should I go for the Toxic Cable Black Widow, Forza Noir HPC Mk2 or Forza Claire HPC Mk2? I am based in the UK so a European cable company is probably more convenient in terms of warranty. I think the waiting time for Forza is a lot shorter.... Which one should I go for? Thanks!

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #5,841 of 6,504
  Hello, I am looking for a aftermarket cable (4pinXLR balance) for my HD800S. My budget is around 200EUR. The stock cable is just too long and inconvenient. I am looking for something around 1.5m. Should I go for the Toxic Cable Black Widow, Forza Noir HPC Mk2 or Forza Claire HPC Mk2? I am based in the UK so a European cable company is probably more convenient in terms of warranty. I think the waiting time for Forza is a lot shorter.... Which one should I go for? Thanks!

Forza is about a week compared to 12-14 weeks for Toxic at the moment. 

I've got cables on order from both, Forza for some IEMs and Toxic for MrSpeakers Aeon, so haven't yet tried either.

I'd be interested in opinions on this too as thinking of ordering the Forza Noir Hybrid HPC or Noir HPC Mk2 for my HD800S with 4.4mm plug.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #5,842 of 6,504

I got the Wywires platinum (above your budget) but IMO they pair excellent with the HD800S. I emailed the owner and he gave me 30% off... Maybe you could get a deal with the Wywires Red?

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #5,843 of 6,504

Since you, like me, live in the EU (still a little time) I would absolutely reccomend ForzaNoir HPC Mk2 for HD800S - I ordered it for my Hifiman HE-1000 V1, as well as a Noir Hybrid for the Abyss, both terminated with XLR 4-pin. The Lenght 1,5 is enough when sitting rather close to the amplifier.
This Matt has been nice to do buisiness with, prices are moderate, fine quality and delivery  ca 3-4 weeks totally., I also own the HD800S and, frankly, I do not find it necessary to exchange that stock cable.
But with Forzas prices it could be worth a try - even if you won´t notice any greater difference!

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,844 of 6,504
  Since you, like me, live in the EU (still a little time) I would absolutely reccomend ForzaNoir HPC Mk2 for HD800S - I ordered it for my Hifiman HE-1000 V1, as well as a Noir Hybrid for the Abyss, both terminated with XLR 4-pin. The Lenght 1,5 is enough when sitting rather close to the amplifier.
This Matt has been nice to do buisiness with, prices are moderate, fine quality and delivery  ca 3-4 weeks totally., I also own the HD800S and, frankly, I do not find it necessary to exchange that stock cable.
But with Forzas prices it could be worth a try - even if you won´t notice any greater difference!

Yes I have gone for the Forza Claire HPC. I ordered the 1.5m one because the biggest problem with the stock cable is its weight and length. Very inconvenient because i sit right next to my amplifier.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #5,847 of 6,504
  I feel that the HD 800 deserves quality amplification to sound its best. Its an exceptional headphone which REQUIRES exceptional power/amplification.
For a more "musical" sound, tubes are better but still quality amplification is a must.

No it doesn't. It's very easy to drive. Just use an EQ if you want a different sound signature.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #5,848 of 6,504

No it doesn't. It's very easy to drive. Just use an EQ if you want a different sound signature.

I can't buy that... Easy to drive? Just have a look at the specs of the amp or dac/amp Sennheiser developed for these cans. And it is not definitely a thing of EQing.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #5,849 of 6,504
I can't buy that... Easy to drive? Just have a look at the specs of the amp or dac/amp Sennheiser developed for these cans. And it is not definitely a thing of EQing.

I did test the HDVD 800 against my Chord Hugo many years ago and I didn't think it was that much better. So I kept using my Hugo back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back