Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 5, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #3,196 of 6,504
most funny is that new Sennheiser Orpheus is (on public shows) almost always playing only EAGELS 'Hotel California' SACD version... look database ratings about this SACD versions :)))

Lack of macrodynamics doesn't rob it of the other psycho-acoustic information that lay within an otherwise well mastered track. So it might still be a good track to display soundstaging, imaging, detail extraction, 3-dimensionality, depth,...

And as you all know, blindly A/B one piece of gear 2 times, the last time with a slightly raised volume, and the last device will be heard as the better one. If louder fools us as better, this might actually be the desired effect? Especially for only a brief first impression in noisy show environments,...

Didn't hear the song myself, just thinking out loud :)

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #3,197 of 6,504
 some well known music reviewers ratings don't fit...

Ahhh, the good old "ipse dixit" of Pythagorean memory! 

Between a "well known music reviewer" or an open community of people who actually sit down and measure the dynamic range of tens of thousands of recordings using a foobar2000 plugin - I know whose data I would rather trust.

Here's more info from a (not so well) known reviewer:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/unofficial-dynamic-range-database

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #3,198 of 6,504
Lack of macrodynamics doesn't rob it of the other psycho-acoustic information that lay within an otherwise well mastered track. So it might still be a good track to display soundstaging, imaging, detail extraction, 3-dimensionality, depth,...

And as you all know, blindly A/B one piece of gear 2 times, the last time with a slightly raised volume, and the last device will be heard as the better one. If louder fools us as better, this might actually be the desired effect? Especially for only a brief first impression in noisy show environments,...

Didn't hear the song myself, just thinking out loud :)

Yeah, that's why 'indications of compression level' in this site, don't have so much value...
This recording is re-mastered several times. differently, i have heard 4 different versions... and 'Japanese' SACD version was good

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #3,199 of 6,504

Ahhh, the good old "ipse dixit" of Pythagorean memory! 

Between a "well known music reviewer" or an open community of people who actually sit down and measure the dynamic range of tens of thousands of recordings using a foobar2000 plugin - I know whose data I would rather trust.

Here's more info from a (not so well) known reviewer:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/unofficial-dynamic-range-database

There are NOT so few good/neutral reviewers...

'Go and figure it out' where the truth, where the 'convincing' methodology or consumer manipulation, at least for now I don't have any trust of such 'automatic analyse'.

Just one good example, listen 'not SO bad' Robert Plant 'Mighty Rearranger' and compare it with database figures...

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #3,203 of 6,504
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/795365/sennheiser-hd800-s-impressions-thread-read-first-post-for-summary/135#post_12310652

Hoping for improved DAC...... If it has the improved dac, i'm going to buy it. Cause now, if i buy the 600 version for cheaper without onboard DAC, i must buy and balanced dac that will be about in the same price point that the HDVD820 going to be... Including cables etc.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #3,204 of 6,504
  Hoping for improved DAC...... If it has the improved dac, i'm going to buy it. Cause now, if i buy the 600 version for cheaper without onboard DAC, i must buy and balanced dac that will be about in the same price point that the HDVD820 going to be... Including cables etc.

Maybe just wait for proper test's or/and technical overview... but, if in hurry, then there are other good DAC/amp combinations or separate devices too.
Maybe someone can suggest

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #3,205 of 6,504

Maybe just wait for proper test's or/and technical overview... but, if in hurry, then there are other good DAC/amp combinations or separate devices too.
Maybe someone can suggest

Not really in hurry. I can wait for the proper test (also gives me time to save some money :p)  Will wait till the launch and probably in that time there will be a punch of reviews out.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #3,206 of 6,504
I have the past couple of weeks ago with a combined Beta22 Full Swing, the other handset is HD800S has me hooked, longer serious, crystal-clear highs and no wheezing and very present and controlled media, are a delight. (sorry for my English)
Cheers,

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,208 of 6,504
There are lots of great dac/amp companies out there, some specialize in those areas, I'd spread wings and look around.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #3,209 of 6,504
I might be worth waiting to see what they do with the digital side of the HDVD820. The balanced operation and synergy of the Senn amps with the HD800/S is very well worth having IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back