Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 30, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #2,986 of 6,504
Wow. These headphones are incredible. I can hear the difference between a cheap RCA cable and a high-end RCA cable. 5 minutes ago I thought high-end cables was a bunch of non-sense and that there is no difference in cable quality. These headphones can detect what is in the chain, including the cable. 

Unfortunately these cables aren't mine so I have to return them later this week. I can't believe I will buy high-end cables which is something I was against doing :frowning2:

Welcome to the dark side, the economy loves you now :p

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #2,987 of 6,504
  Wow. These headphones are incredible. I can hear the difference between a cheap RCA cable and a high-end RCA cable. 5 minutes ago I thought high-end cables was a bunch of non-sense and that there is no difference in cable quality. These headphones can detect what is in the chain, including the cable. 

Unfortunately these cables aren't mine so I have to return them later this week. I can't believe I will buy high-end cables which is something I was against doing :frowning2:

So you're saying that you can hear a difference with HD800S but not with HD800?

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #2,988 of 6,504

In my case, yes. Other folks don't get this. I think I need to tweak the mod some more on my HE6.

I will put some serious head time into the HD800C and HD800S tomorrow and report back into this thread. I will run both from the balanced output on the V281 - doesn't seem much point using the single ended output for the HD800C/S as the balanced output is so much better for either headphone.

I always go balanced, even with my HD650.  I look forward to your comparison between the C/S 800 models.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #2,989 of 6,504

So you're saying that you can hear a difference with HD800S but not with HD800?

I didn't try it with the HD 800, only the HD 800 S.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,992 of 6,504
Some concern. Senn engineers used the technology of IE800 to modify HD800. Then I am curious how the new HD800S sounds in mid and mid-high frequency range. The IE800 got much more analytical than its predecessor but sounds thinner and dry/hard on string instruments. I was believing this is the drawback of their 'absorption tech'. No similar issue on HD800S?

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2,993 of 6,504
  Some concern. Senn engineers used the technology of IE800 to modify HD800. Then I am curious how the new HD800S sounds in mid and mid-high frequency range. The IE800 got much more analytical than its predecessor but sounds thinner and dry/hard on string instruments. I was believing this is the drawback of their 'absorption tech'. No similar issue on HD800S?

Not sure I understand. Can you provide a musical example?

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #2,996 of 6,504

I would consider that 'technology' (technical solution or better to say 'real physical implementation' specifically for HD800S) is not 'exactly' duplicated/same as for IE800. I think that here we speak about using so-called 'resonator-absorber' method and (maybe) used 'materials' too. Seems that this method itself is not 'directly' connected/fixed to some very specific frequency range. But particular 'implementation', for HD800S, sure is 'dealing' with specific areas of audibly perceived frequency range... .

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #2,997 of 6,504
Welcome to the dark side, the economy loves you now :p

The wonderful thing about the Chord Hugo is that it is able to drive the HD 800S very good. So I can hear which cable does a great job and which doesn't.

Quite suprisingly, the cheap cable is the best one because it doesn't alter the sound. The other more expensive cable puts it's own sauce over the sound which gives the Taurus MKII a tube like sound. The micro details and soundstage was a bit better though.

I'm sticking with my cheap RCA cable. Maybe I'll check some pro audio stores and see what they use.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #2,998 of 6,504
Mine arrived 3 days ago, directly upgrade from the HD800. To me this is just a logical and very safe improvement over the already great HD800. First things that I've noticed:

-Easier to drive, I would say about a 20-25% on real performance to get the same SPL.
-Much better sub-bass extension and bass weight in general.
-Smoother and better highs (talking about the transition with the high-mids)
-It looks better from my humble point of view.

Overall I can say that I'm quite happy with the upgrade, and for me it worth the money, for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back