Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #2,656 of 6,504
Jan 14, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #2,657 of 6,504
  Hello everyone, first post here after lurking the boards for quiet some time. 
gs1000.gif

I was able to listen to the HD 800 and HD 800S at my local hifi store here in Stuttgart, Germany.
I am not a pro at describing every bass nuance but in my point of view the HD 800S certainly has a bit more "slam".
While testing the bass for both headphones with "You're Good But I'm Better" from "Kill J" I enjoyed the slam like bass especially with the HD800s. The bass had a good amount of pressure to it and felt like it was produced in the middle of my head, which is a nice experience.

Overall I had no problems with the HD 800 brightness, but I liked the HD 800S a tiny bit more (bass).

I am new to this level of headphone... do you guys think it is possible to tweak the HD 800 with 2 db here and there to make them sound like the HD 800S? 
What is your point of view on used HD 800 on ebay? Yay or nay?

Thanks for your impressions ! Can you comment about the detail of both ?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #2,658 of 6,504
Just thought I would add my impressions of the HD800S. and HD800.

I am now using both headphones with the Lumin S1 directly feeding a Trilogy Audio 933 Headphone Amplifier. In my personal opinion, the HD800S is a very worthy upgrade to the HD800 as it offers a very detailed bass that I think was otherwise missing. I previously tried the LCD4, which I thought was dire with my current system. The HD800S gives me the more controlled bass I was looking for.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #2,659 of 6,504

Interesting: 'just bring old to us and get new for cheaper'?
I was little-bit interested and for 'insurance' looked for official reports about this 'small company': Incorporation Date -14 March 2014
Their own website stated that they are in 'HiFi business' 40+ years?! ['reordered' company with new owners?]

i know teh guys down there, they be good fellows.

the thing that gets me is this:
Club Orpheus product - We offer a 10 year guarantee with these headphones.
either way ive emailed and asked to demo the 800 and 800s back to back. :) 

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #2,660 of 6,504
  Just thought I would add my impressions of the HD800S. and HD800.

I am now using both headphones with the Lumin S1 directly feeding a Trilogy Audio 933 Headphone Amplifier. In my personal opinion, the HD800S is a very worthy upgrade to the HD800 as it offers a very detailed bass that I think was otherwise missing. I previously tried the LCD4, which I thought was dire with my current system. The HD800S gives me the more controlled bass I was looking for.

What you think about the detail comparison between they ?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #2,663 of 6,504
  yes, low bass and 6 khz peak

not a problem,

will be runnning a selection of tunes trough it, 
gunna use The eagles Hotel california when hell freezes over version.
Take the Power Back- rage against the machine.
and probably some more demanding bass from some drum and bass albums i like.

also, have a question, looking at driving a hD800/HD800S. im looking at Schitt stack- containing WRYD(usb decrapifier) feeding a Modi2(DAC) into a SYS(to spur to speaker amp) then a Magni2(amp).

would this setup adequately drive a set of these?? 

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,666 of 6,504
(edited)  
also, have a question, looking at driving a hD800/HD800S. im looking at Schitt stack- containing WRYD(usb decrapifier) feeding a Modi2(DAC) into a SYS(to spur to speaker amp) then a Magni2(amp).

If you are constrained to a very tight budget, then those would be a good choice at that budget. However if you could spend a bit more you would probably be a lot happier with the Asgard 2 / Bifrost combo.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #2,667 of 6,504
I had hope that have my pair by now. Looks like the US retailers are struggling to get stock on these. Hope that I'll be enjoying them soon. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,668 of 6,504
not a problem,

will be runnning a selection of tunes trough it, 
gunna use The eagles Hotel california when hell freezes over version.
Take the Power Back- rage against the machine.
and probably some more demanding bass from some drum and bass albums i like.

Hd800 has great synergy with tube amps. Vahalla2 is real good with hd800. Vali2 is also highly regarded. Really depends on your budget. You can always upgrade as well.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,669 of 6,504
With my MOON NEO or the AK AMP in Balanced Mode,the HD800S sounds great!

Regards Nomax

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,670 of 6,504
My Chord Hugo doesn't have balanced output so I can't use the balanced cables.

What do you guys think is the best balanced headphone amplifier for the HD 800 S that works with a large variety of headphones and is not hard to comeby?

The balanced amplifiers that I can get from my local dealers are the Schiit Ragnarok, Phonitor 2, Aurelic Taurus MK2 and the HDVD 800. The GS-X is impossible to get unless I try order from other countries which I prefer not to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back