Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Dec 16, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,682 of 6,504
  "Duller" - Yikes, that does not sound very appealing.

"Sounds like the original 800 but slightly smoother (duller) with more bass presence (the old law of displacement)"
biggrin.gif

wink_face.gif

Just to remove any confusion, that was my "prediction" on what the future upcoming comments will be like. I have not heard them.

Oh, and with the Canadian dollar in free-fall (along with oil prices), I can safely add about $300-400 to the US price, on top of what we usually get gouged. So I'm out, for now.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,683 of 6,504

Actually I think its more of a sidestep, catering to people like me that found the sound signature of the original HD800 just not to their liking, but having an affection for their perfection. Which would also explain why the original HD800 is still there and costs abut the same as the HD800S if you get the balanced cable for it. I don't think its a logical upgrade path for an owner of the original HD800.

Well said, I really appreciate the HD800, but it didn't quite have the richness I was looking for. It seems like the S is might help. For those that have and like the HD800 sound signature, I don't see why you'd want the S except for variety.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,684 of 6,504
  Glad that the price isn't too high.  Will certainly keep my beat up pair of the HD800 for a long time.  I probably will not upgrade unless the HD800s is substantially better...which I highly doubt that.

Yup.

I don't expect the HD800S to be an upgrade. More a different flavor of my Current HD800 and nothing that will convince a die hard HD650 fan to migrate to the pricier brother. that been said, what I wonder the most is if the "6khz fix" is substantial enough to allow 3-4 khz range to blossom a bit.  A better balance between 3-4 khz and 5-6 khz would be a step in the right direction. I really don't care the bass boost. I already think the HD800 si warm enough on a good rig.

Maybe i'll feel the need to keep the HD800 even with the arrival of the 800S. Dunno. Next days will be interesting.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,685 of 6,504

Yup.

I don't expect the HD800S to be an upgrade. More a different flavor of my Current HD800 and nothing that will convince a die hard HD650 fan to migrate to the pricier brother. that been said, what I wonder the most is if the "6khz fix" is substantial enough to allow 3-4 khz range to blossom a bit.  A better balance between 3-4 khz and 5-6 khz would be a step in the right direction. I really don't care the bass boost. I already think the HD800 si warm enough on a good rig.

Maybe i'll feel the need to keep the HD800 even with the arrival of the 800S. Dunno. Next days will be interesting.

popcorn.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,686 of 6,504
Years ago there was only few serious IEMs, so after becoming of Etymotic Research ER-4S many were very happy and little later some owners started to complain about 'nonexistent' bottom/bass... so Etymotic response was more balanced ER-4P, with added bass... some were more happy too, but for some there was loss in ultimate 'clearness'. Soon after added bass still wasn't enough for many... 'more of everything is better' rule? Now some IEMs have changeable 'tips' to change/correct sound...
But to have both HD800 and HD800S, that's not for everybody...for understandable reasons. And even if to have both [and/or more others], when there is enough?

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,687 of 6,504
The point for me is that my HD800 is already colorwared in Matte black. it costed me a lot of money and if I sell it , the loss will be huge. So  I've not so much interest to sell if it still does something the HD800S doesn't.  i'd much prefer to sell it though.

Who knows, maybe I'll keep my HD800 and send back the HD800S in the 14 days return period. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #1,689 of 6,504
  The point for me is that my HD800 is already colorwared in Matte black. it costed me a lot of money and if I sell it , the loss will be huge. So  I've not so much interest to sell if it still does something the HD800S doesn't.  i'd much prefer to sell it though.

Who knows, maybe I'll keep my HD800 and send back the HD800S in the 14 days return period. 

Take advantage of the potential HD800s/HD800S confusion, and you might get a good price for your HD800s :D

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #1,690 of 6,504
It's out in Germany. Haven't heard it yet, no time this week. Short impressions from someone I phoned with were: no sharpness on percussion anymore, generally smoother treble curve, however interesting: more kick/slam on the bass (no elevation or push, just more tactile and going down lower). Was particularly impressed with electronic music and how the slam was noticably harder on the S. NO loss on soundstage, detail retrieval seems to be finer, less gray. 

Not my impressions.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,691 of 6,504
  US release date announced as mid Jan 2016, pricing at $1,699.

​They fooled me a couple of days ago with an announced release of "mid December 2015", apparently that only applied to Germany.

Too bad, I wanted to buy these for Christmas. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,692 of 6,504

I feel your pain. It's always tragic when you spend a lot of money. It's even more tragic when you have no interest to sell something you'd rather sell. :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,694 of 6,504
You can now view the manual here.  This part is kind of interesting:

The individual diffuse field frequency response of your headphones can be found on the enclosed USB flash drive.

Also interesting that they didn't price drop the HD800.  With how cheap they are going for now, the HD800s might not be worth it, unless you want the balanced cable.  Good strategy to reinvigorate sales on an older headphone.  I'm just glad they didn't go crazy with the price like Audeze did with the LCD-4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back