Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,054 of 6,504
First of all the list price for the HD800 is 1299 euro, and the HD800S is 1599, which includes the balanced cable. Senn saying it is only a little better is a welcome change from the usual ridiculous hyperbole of the current market. The HD800 is the best dynamic headphone ever made so of course the new one is only a little better. In fact, even if you think some other headphone is better than the HD800, it is only a little better. So for 300 euro extra you get a better headphone, with a balanced cable which  is because Senn is hoping you will also buy one of their amps. Obviously. It is a rational marketing strategy, even though many of you don't seem to understand why. In time (probably short) the headphone will have a similar percentage discounts off retail like the HD800. And there will be bundles with the amp offering discounts on both when bough together, at least that is what you see here in europe. But if you don't like it, go buy the $3000 slightly better (or worse depending on your taste) HE1000 or buy the slightly better or worse SR009 and an expensive amp, that you have to wait six months to be built for 9k or buy the definitely worse LCD4 for 4k.... jeez.

Yeah pretty much most other flagships around more or less trade blows with HD 800 but cost vastly more. I would probably say 009 is overall better and more invisible sonically but also brighter/sharper pain inducing so would need attention to synergy. Forget the megaplanars those are getting into silly money for small improvements and still trade blows with HD 800.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,055 of 6,504
I don't have an balanced amplifier (yet)
I believe usb28 may have unwillingly proved my point. The pretty balanced cable just laying there in front of you. Coiling it and uncoiling it. Wishing you had something to plug it into. There will be many balanced amps sold. And that will prove to the listener how much better this new hd800s truly is.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,056 of 6,504
Nov 13, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,058 of 6,504

Just been reading some comments above. One thing that stood out is the comment "009 is even more brighter/ sharper pain inducing".  These headphones are microscopes into the audio world. People have been complaining about the brightness and edginess of digital sources since they first appeared. Could the problem be that this is just a side effect of listening to digital sources and the real culprit is not the headphone but what is being fed into them? Is it the case of 'shooting the messenger'?

Is anyone using the HD800 with a really good analogue source as I would like to receive comments on whether they perceive the  800 to be overly bright ?

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,059 of 6,504

Just been reading some comments above. One thing that stood out is the comment "009 is even more brighter/ sharper pain inducing".  These headphones are microscopes into the audio world. People have been complaining about the brightness and edginess of digital sources since they first appeared. Could the problem be that this is just a side effect of listening to digital sources and the real culprit is not the headphone but what is being fed into them? Is it the case of 'shooting the messenger'?

Is anyone using the HD800 with a really good analogue source as I would like to receive comments on whether they perceive the  800 to be overly bright ?

I don't perceive the HD800 as overly bright with either my digital or analogue sources although I do prefer vinyl over CD/streaming most of the time still. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,060 of 6,504

I think it's important to look at the whole chain and not just the headphone but I've tried the HD800 with both Simaudio MOON Neo 430 HA and Cavalli Liquid Glass and while it sounded alot better compared to some lesser amplifiers the treble was still sibilant to me. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try them with a R2R DAC yet.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,061 of 6,504

I think it's important to look at the whole chain and not just the headphone but I've tried the HD800 with both Simaudio MOON Neo 430 HA and Cavalli Liquid Glass and while it sounded alot better compared to some lesser amplifiers the treble was still sibilant to me. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try them with a R2R DAC yet.

Agree 100% about the whole chain which is why I pair the HD800 with a supposed analogue sounding cd player and tube amp and have no issues with treble. But...it could be my lack of hearing after 18KHz!   

Anyway look forward to hearing responses from people who have used actual analogue sources such as very high quality turntables/ original master tapes etc

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #1,062 of 6,504
  I don't perceive the HD800 as overly bright with either my digital or analogue sources although I do prefer vinyl over CD/streaming most of the time still. 

Does Vinyl still sound 'alive' when using headphones or does the isolation headphones give mean that the sound is changed compared to when you play your turntable with speakers. The answer to this question has been bothering me for years....

Nov 13, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,063 of 6,504

Does Vinyl still sound 'alive' when using headphones or does the isolation headphones give mean that the sound is changed compared to when you play your turntable with speakers. The answer to this question has been bothering me for years....

I think the sound stage you get with headphones is quite different (not unsurprisingly) from loudspeakers. I'm not sure which I prefer as they both a compromise although I tend to listen to my HD800 more often as they offer a better sound quality over my speakers. I don't think that vinyl sounds any more alive via speakers than headphones but is still sounds better to me than CD,    

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #1,064 of 6,504
I never liked a modded pair of hd800. But as I live in NYC hp photo does a 30 day return so it's easy to do a side by side and use the new daily to get a better feel
When the chain is great the hd800 rival stax009.
So this may better suited for less systems and or sources let's see.
What I do want buy is the new Orpheus setup period just to own it period
My hope is a fast detail of stac 009 and wholesome sound of the he6 that would be the jam for me.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,065 of 6,504
Over the years I have tried many headphones in an attempt to better the HD800. Although I have not tried the HE1000 or LCD4, experience tells me they will not offer anything substantially better for the price to be paid.

It is far more important to match the amplifier. By far the best match I have found to date is the much ignored Trilogy Audio 933. This little amplifier wipes the floor with a pair of Questyle CMA800R amplifiers in balanced mode that I also have. Bass response is utterly superb with the 933.

The HD800S should be interesting, but is it just S for Schwarz??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back