Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #5,851 of 6,504
Sweet! So, how does HD800S perform with FA Elise and others? Which pair do you love the most with HD800S

I haven't heard any headphone amps that are comparable or above price point of Elise. However, I use NOS tubes that in my opinion are a significant improvement to the Elise stock tubes. I have been an audiophile for decades and have heard many of the best high end 2-channel speaker-based systems. I can't imagine how many amps could be a better match for the S than is Elise. But I have FA's new Euforia on order, so maybe that will be even better.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #5,852 of 6,504
Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to this area. At the moment I have a 598+fiio E10k. I have reasearched a lot and I think that the 800s will be a good upgrade. I will demo it next week. I am currently trying to find the best amp/dac combination within my budget.

At the moment it seems that the Woo WA7 is my best bet. My budget is 1000 USD. The only thing that concerns me about it is that I will not be able to use the balanced cable. It might not be neccesary, but I might want to be able to use it in the future
smily_headphones1.gif
. So if you have any input I would be happy.

Have a good one!

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #5,853 of 6,504
  Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to this area. At the moment I have a 598+fiio E10k. I have reasearched a lot and I think that the 800s will be a good upgrade. I will demo it next week. I am currently trying to find the best amp/dac combination within my budget.

At the moment it seems that the Woo WA7 is my best bet. My budget is 1000 USD. The only thing that concerns me about it is that I will not be able to use the balanced cable. It might not be neccesary, but I might want to be able to use it in the future
smily_headphones1.gif
. So if you have any input I would be happy.

Have a good one!

I strongly recommend you check out Feliks Audio Elise. And I wouldn't worry about balanced. I don't think it does anything in the desktop environment other than increase the cost of amp used. I can also recommend Schiit Bifrost DAC. I started with the 598 and the S is major upgrade.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #5,854 of 6,504
I haven't heard any headphone amps that are comparable or above price point of Elise. However, I use NOS tubes that in my opinion are a significant improvement to the Elise stock tubes. I have been an audiophile for decades and have heard many of the best high end 2-channel speaker-based systems. I can't imagine how many amps could be a better match for the S than is Elise. But I have FA's new Euforia on order, so maybe that will be even better.

I'm currently thinking tube amp would make the S sings more than it is with SS amps..In your tube selection with Elise ,does it help making the bass on the S slams without further the 2nd harmonics present with 800S becomes more worrisome?

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #5,855 of 6,504
I'm currently thinking tube amp would make the S sings more than it is with SS amps..In your tube selection with Elise ,does it help making the bass on the S slams without further the 2nd harmonics present with 800S becomes more worrisome?

The S can be a little tricky with the bass. Some claim it was designed for a solid state amp. I have not had any problem with bass with most of the tubes I use in Elise. I think it is a mistake to think of Elise as a "tube" amp. Yes, it uses tubes, but I think of it as an amp that sounds both highly musical and at the same time true to the original recording (an admitted subjective view on my part).

With my current tube combo of choice (TFK EL12/Siemens EL12) bass is truly amazing. Not overwhelming ala Beats. But strong, very detailed and well integrated with the rest of FR. It actually sounds like notes rather than an undefined "boom".

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #5,856 of 6,504
BTW, I should mention that Beyer T1 is probably the headphone of choice for most of the Elise threads members. I listened extensively to the T1G2. It is a wonderful headphone and I think it may be pretty much of a tossup between S and T1.

Also, if you go to Elise thread, be prepared for a lot of silliness. We are kind of a cult unto ourselves. Someone claiming to be me posts a lot of stupid jokes there ))))

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,857 of 6,504
Sorry, but I keep thinking of more. I think you can find a lot of posts on HeadFi recommending Valhalla 2 for both the Classic and the S. It certainly has an attractive price point. But I can say without equivocation that Elise is in an entirely different league.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,858 of 6,504
Thank you for the info @pctazhp..Very useful. I for one do believe a great tube amplifier should sound close to accurate than warm or gooey. So happy to know about the Elise though. Was setting on Glenn otl and some EC amps before but the price can be quite pricey and take so long to be built.what a bummer

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #5,859 of 6,504
Thank you for the info @pctazhp..Very useful. I for one do believe a great tube amplifier should sound close to accurate than warm or gooey. So happy to know about the Elise though. Was setting on Glenn otl and some EC amps before but the price can be quite pricey and take so long to be built.what a bummer

You are welcome. Glenn hangs out at the Elise threads. He has new EL3N amp that sounds very interesting. But as you say, a little pricey and long wait. Good luck)))

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #5,861 of 6,504
I strongly recommend you check out Feliks Audio Elise. And I wouldn't worry about balanced. I don't think it does anything in the desktop environment other than increase the cost of amp used. I can also recommend Schiit Bifrost DAC. I started with the 598 and the S is major upgrade.

Thanks for all your replies and insight. I am not sure that I will be able to get the FA Elise and a DAC within the budget. Seems more unusual as well, in the sense that it has been initially harder to find reviews. Thanks anyway!

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #5,862 of 6,504
Thanks for all your replies and insight. I am not sure that I will be able to get the FA Elise and a DAC within the budget. Seems more unusual as well, in the sense that it has been initially harder to find reviews. Thanks anyway!

See this review of Elise's little brother, the Espressivo. http://headfonics.com/2016/03/the-expressivo-by-feliks-audio/ 

They named it Best Desktop Amp of the Year for 2016.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #5,863 of 6,504
Reposting in this thread as well:

What's a closed set that emulates the HD800S the best? I have been rotating closed sets, not satisfied so far. Really miss he amazing soundstage. But at work I can't use an open set, would have definitely gotten another pair of HD800S otherwise lol. Slight sound leaking is fine as I have a private office, but at normal listening level the H800S can be heard from outside the office so not an option. Source will be Chord Mojo, or something similar.. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #5,864 of 6,504
Sweet! So, how does HD800S perform with FA Elise and others? Which pair do you love the most with HD800S

Didn't hear the 800S with the Elise, only with Liquid Glass, Liquid Carbon, EC Balancing Act, Red Wine Isabellina  DarkStar, Hugo and AudioGD Master 11 last year when I was visiting a friend in Japan.  From my audio memory (which is not great) I wouldn't pair the 800S with a amp that has a warm signature like the Elise with the stock tubes and the same would apply to almost all tube amps.  SS seems the better way to go with the 800S.  For the 800 tubes is the better way to go, the Elise and MicroZOTL2 are pretty good with it and the other amps like the Liquid Glass, Hugo and DarkStar are even better to me.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #5,865 of 6,504
  Reposting in this thread as well:

What's a closed set that emulates the HD800S the best? I have been rotating closed sets, not satisfied so far. Really miss he amazing soundstage. But at work I can't use an open set, would have definitely gotten another pair of HD800S otherwise lol. Slight sound leaking is fine as I have a private office, but at normal listening level the H800S can be heard from outside the office so not an option. Source will be Chord Mojo, or something similar.. 

Not speaking from experience, but from extensive research I would think the Ether C or Ether C Flow would be good candidates. I would post in the Ether thread as many owners are there and doubtless many own or have owned the 800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back