Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Apr 19, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,276 of 6,504
Sad report that it looks like I'll be selling my 800S.

I've been using them over the weekend and I'm having real comfort issues. It causes a hotspot at the top of my head no matter what setting or position I use.

I bought them for general listening, gaming and movies - and they did those jobs better than I thought.

Really impressive headphones.

Sad news indeed. My deepest regards to you.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,277 of 6,504

I've been using them over the weekend and I'm having real comfort issues. It causes a hotspot at the top of my head no matter what setting or position I use.

I bought them for general listening, gaming and movies - and they did those jobs better than I thought.

I had that problem with my HD800. I've been using them for a year now, and strangely, it doesn't happen anymore. 

I've been wondering why Sennheiser doesn't just makes their headbands flat. It's the same thing on the HD650, which i used to own.

It only serves to give you a headache or a bad hairdo.
cool.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,278 of 6,504
  I had that problem with my HD800. I've been using them for a year now, and strangely, it doesn't happen anymore. 

I've been wondering why Sennheiser doesn't just makes their headbands flat. It's the same thing on the HD650, which i used to own.

It only serves to give you a headache or a bad hairdo.
cool.gif

I am curious what you mean by flat?

I do like a few of the headphones designed with a leather strap, which contours to the shape of your head. The AKG K702 and MrSpeakers Ether headphones come to mind. The HiFiMan HE1000 also fits me quite well - has been an issue for persons with smaller heads. But otherwise, the design of the HD800 and HD800S fit nicely on the sides of my head, better than the HD650. And the contour of the band gives me no issues, though I could see how it could cause issues for other persons.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,279 of 6,504

I've had the same hotspot issue with my HE1000 (with the short headband). Fixed it by attaching two flat foam pieces right beside said hotspot in the middle.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #4,280 of 6,504
  I am curious what you mean by flat?

I do like a few of the headphones designed with a leather strap, which contours to the shape of your head. The AKG K702 and MrSpeakers Ether headphones come to mind. The HiFiMan HE1000 also fits me quite well - has been an issue for persons with smaller heads. But otherwise, the design of the HD800 and HD800S fit nicely on the sides of my head, better than the HD650. And the contour of the band gives me no issues, though I could see how it could cause issues for other persons.

The HD650 and HD800 don't have as much padding in the middle of the headbands as the do on the sides. So i mean flat, as in even padding across the whole headband. I imagine if the HD800 had this, then potkettleblack wouldn't have issues with the comfort.

It probably only affects one in twenty people but i've felt it too. Still one of the most comfortable headphones i've ever had.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #4,281 of 6,504
I'm not too hot on having to 'deal' with it or mod it if I'm honest. It may get rid of the problem but I would probably resent the headphones for it - which is bizarre I know. I've only recently managed to tame my Abyss with the correct position and not have any fit issues. Normally good for 2-3 hours now.

For what it's worth the 650 was the most comfortable headphone I've owned.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Very tough decision and I'm genuinely gutted.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #4,283 of 6,504
I'm not too hot on having to 'deal' with it or mod it if I'm honest. It may get rid of the problem but I would probably resent the headphones for it - which is bizarre I know. I've only recently managed to tame my Abyss with the correct position and not have any fit issues. Normally good for 2-3 hours now.

For what it's worth the 650 was the most comfortable headphone I've owned.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. Very tough decision and I'm genuinely gutted.

Can you give us some impressions with HD800S and movie watching? 

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #4,284 of 6,504

Can you give us some impressions with HD800S and movie watching? 

I used HD800 S with a software program OOYH (Out of your head) watching 5.1 and 7.1 films with great realism and bass impact.  Much better than most AV installed rooms I have experienced.  I wrote about OOYH briefly here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689299/out-of-your-head-new-virtual-surround-simulator/675#post_12511093

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #4,287 of 6,504
You picked a good scene :D

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #4,290 of 6,504
I'm curious, has anyone ever heard of a pair of HD800's that died? (reached it's lifespan)

Just wondering how long a pair of these are expected to last. I've had mine for two years with quite a bit of use. They're as good as when i bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back