Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 7, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,230 of 6,504

I didn't gave to Wikipedia's sound-file a try (64Kbps for modern stereo music is quite nonsense)...

Lorde 'Pure Heroine'<snip>

You should hear that album with the Abyss (and a top amp) - it's amazing :¬)

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #3,231 of 6,504

I didn't gave to Wikipedia's sound-file a try (64Kbps for modern stereo music is quite nonsense)...

Lorde 'Pure Heroine'

You should hear that album with the Abyss (and a top amp) - it's amazing :¬)

TT and th900 it's unbelievable.

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #3,232 of 6,504
That's the problem with this album it's not mixed to 'translate' to every acoustic system equally (actually that's the main rule for mixing and mastering)
Sound was 'immersing' and enjoyable even with D5000 (if 'nit-picking' left aside)

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #3,233 of 6,504
In Australia the HD800 is available at steep discount - making the HD800S nearly double the price!
Given that Sennheiser themselves say its "a little better" the plain 800 is currently looking like a screaming bargain by comparison.
(FYI A$2600 = US$1843, A$1349 = US$956)

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #3,234 of 6,504
In Australia the HD800 is available at steep discount - making the HD800S nearly double the price!
Given that Sennheiser themselves say its "a little better" the plain 800 is currently looking like a screaming bargain by comparison.

No brainer in this case...

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,235 of 6,504
  Ragnarok and HD800S users, can anyone comment head-fier question here

I don't use Windows - and NOT really looking forward to dragging over my laptop and loading the drivers to try. Also Ragnarok, to my ears, is a poor pairing with HD800 
frown.gif

But if I get a chance, I'll be sure to let you know 
redface.gif

::

I too am a little confused about the earlier post. What happened, when I did a first attempt to listen to a few amplifiers to give impressions - I picked music that was much too long, enjoyable yes! And probably a better selection of music than what I use today. But I started with 3 DACs - the DAC built-in the JDS Labs The Element, a HRT microStreamer, and Meridian Explorer 2. Then I trialed 4 amplifiers, against my best choice of DAC - again the amplifier built-in JDS Labs The Element, along with Schiit Magni 2, Schiit Valhalla, and Schiit Vali. It was an exhaustive ordeal consuming literally hours and hours of my day! And I ended up with an incoherent babble of text that no one could understand.

So I limit my initial listening now, to just 5 tracks totalling 25 minutes of music. And I know how I expect it to sound. It is kind of a stress test, and not necessarily my go to music for when I'm in the mood to truly listen. And I have various notes of what I am listening for on each track. So I started by referencing this link on Head-Fi:

Describing Sound - A Glossary

And I picked from a few terms that I personally find to be important:

1. Grainy
  2. Harsh
  3. Naturalness
  4. Resolution
  5. Sub-bass

Then my focus is on each of these in the five tracks of music. It also helps me, when switching to a particularly different sound, to get in tuned with the setup. By the end of the five tracks, I've either decided that "It ain't going to happen" meaning I'm already tired by the sound and have no further interest to listen, or I've got the volume and general characteristics honed in, and am ready to truly listen to something I want to hear.

With the HD800S and the Mojo, 30 seconds of the first track was all I needed. While if I were listening to the same on my Gumby > Carbon, I think I'd last the full five song set, and be ready to really dive into something. My key point was things I dislike on HD800, I will also dislike on HD 800 S, regardless of having the treble issue fixed.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #3,236 of 6,504

nice!

is this available in any online shop down under?

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #3,237 of 6,504
  Let see what Tyll says and measures ... there be plenty reviews telling that its amazing a huge improvement and excatly what everybody has been waiting for .... but why only add a 'S' to the name ?

As Axel himself is stating in the short video: "small improvements to the sound", and finish the presentation stating that the HD800 is a really good headphone ...upss..and the HD800S is even better ...

+1 waiting for Tyll's review:)

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #3,239 of 6,504

I think most, including Sennheiser, would put those descriptions the other way around. Pretty meaningless anyway, but still..........

And yes, I think buying the HD800S over the HD800 at those prices would be VERY hard to justify.

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3,240 of 6,504

I think most, including Sennheiser, would put those descriptions the other way around. Pretty meaningless anyway, but still..........

And yes, I think buying the HD800S over the HD800 at those prices would be VERY hard to justify.

At those prices possibly in canada its 1950 for S and 1550 for the original. No brainer I went for S course still waiting for delivery this week?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back