Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #6,496 of 6,504
After taking an unsuccessful run with EQ to get the 800S "dialed," I gave up. Just couldn't get the result that I was after. Then for giggles I threw a single ply square of toilet paper into each cup, carefully spread against the dust pad...perfecto! Just what I was looking for with EQ. Top end is gently attenuated but nothing else in the signature is mucked up. Because the treble is dialed back, I can finally turn the volume up a couple clicks which really gets the drivers moving. Man, these can really slam now. It's a win, win.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #6,497 of 6,504
After taking an unsuccessful run with EQ to get the 800S "dialed," I gave up. Just couldn't get the result that I was after. Then for giggles I threw a single ply square of toilet paper into each cup, carefully spread against the dust pad...perfecto! Just what I was looking for with EQ. Top end is gently attenuated but nothing else in the signature is mucked up. Because the treble is dialed back, I can finally turn the volume up a couple clicks which really gets the drivers moving. Man, these can really slam now. It's a win, win.
The magic paper towel strikes again!

I have not had any complaint about the treble (perhaps hearing loss / age), but whatever works for you :thumbsup:

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #6,498 of 6,504
How many 800S threads are there... :sweat_smile:

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #6,499 of 6,504
<Insert immature toilet paper joke here>

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #6,500 of 6,504

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd800-dtp-mod-quick-easy-but-rewarding.7462/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd800-tp-mod.1826/

HD800 / HD800S Toilet paper tissue mod is very effective 👍👍 TP mod FTW

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #6,501 of 6,504
1000011153.jpg

https://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-hd800-vs-hd800-maxx-mod/

I also had success with some AKG foams. K141 and K271 foams here.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #6,502 of 6,504
They are very nice complimentary headphones 👍
Currently I'm liking my EQ'd LCD-2f over the Clear MG, but at times I like to use a lighter (in weight) headphone and that's why I at times go for the Clear, even though I prefer the detail and separation of the LCD-2f. Do you have any insight on how the HD 800 S fits in this scenario? I know I would miss the deep, quality bass while listening to the 800 S, but at times a less dynamic sound is a wellcome change. Brightness is something that I can tone down with EQ I think, sibilance is just something that I don't tolerate too well.

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #6,503 of 6,504
Currently I'm liking my EQ'd LCD-2f over the Clear MG, but at times I like to use a lighter (in weight) headphone and that's why I at times go for the Clear, even though I prefer the detail and separation of the LCD-2f. Do you have any insight on how the HD 800 S fits in this scenario? I know I would miss the deep, quality bass while listening to the 800 S, but at times a less dynamic sound is a wellcome change. Brightness is something that I can tone down with EQ I think, sibilance is just something that I don't tolerate too well.
Sounds like you're not an HD800S person. Look at the meze 109 pro maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back