Sennheiser HD800 vs. Stax or this should not be happening
Aug 18, 2011 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

divasson

New Head-Fier
I have 2 rigs in different houses (mountain and Barcelona) so I can't readily compare.

Mountain: Vacuumstate Level 7 DVP Sony DVP9000S ->(kimber select 1021)-> SRM-313 modified with black gate capacitors -> Stax 404.

Barcelona: Linn Classik Movie Di ->anticables IC-> Musical Fidelity XcanV8 with PSUv8 -> Sennheiser HD800

I clearly prefer the Stax but I have always believed it is due to the very different gear in each case. The Sennheiser seems more artificial, veiled - but good nonetheless. Well run in already (bought in mid 2010)

Now, I have connected 2 loudspeakers to the Linn Classik Di. In order to switch them off for headphone listening, I may plug a headphone connector in the Linn headphone output - this mutes the loudspeaker output. But this seemed ugly to me. I wanted a switch.

I had at hand a very old SRD-7 energiser with a pair of very old SR-Lambda headphones. I connected the SRD-7 to the Classik Di and voilà - I have a way of muting it.

Now, for the sake of curiosity, I hooked the SR-Lambdas. They were so old that they were normal bias (230v as opposed to 580v)

My jaw dropped. Clearly better than the Sennheisers - and with the same source! The dynamics were even better than the main rig Staxes - while the clarity was probably a little lower. Who said the stax do not have slam?

Can anyone find a solution? The Sennheisers should not be vanquished by an old Stax!

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Can anyone find a solution? The Sennheisers should not be vanquished by an old Stax!

Why not? It may be one of the most technically advanced dynamic headphones around, but all of those technical advancements were made to account for weaknesses in dynamic driver design. It may not be superior at all, objectively or subjectively.

As far as headphones go, just stick with what you like.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 6
It is very possible that you are a Stax fan.

However, try the HD-800 with a different amp or two. It's particular about what it is plugged into.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Now that I have my own set of Lambdas (supposedly the normal bias ones, but they have a 5-pin Pro bias plug and rebuilt drivers, so I don't even know at this point), I get the impression that my other dynamic headphones just sound a bit "veiled" by comparison, and they're not Sennheisers, either. (AD700 and a vintage SS-20, hardly flagships.)

I think it's just what Stax fans mean by "clear sound" and "effortless delivery" compared to dynamics, something that only becomes apparent when you get to hear a 'stat for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back