Sennheiser HD800 vs Mr Speaker ÆON Flow Open Back as HD650 upgrade
May 20, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 25
I certainly don't think any of the Mr. Speakers offerings are any good from a sonic perspective. Always seem to have major flaws with the frequency response that makes or breaks the headphone. That being said, the Ether Flow was not as bad as the Ether C Flow. The Aeon's both closed and open just does not sound great at all. The dynamics are severely lacking, like getting hit in the face with the softest pillow you could find. Granted some people may like that sort of thing but I find that it sounds rather unnatural with its presentation.

As if the dynamics of the HD 800 and HD 650 are that great?

May 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #18 of 25
HD800 for sure. The HD650 does well in its price category. I'm not saying all planars sound compressed, but the AFO or AFC is definitely high up there.

I disagree. Both the HD 650 and HD 800 lack the dynamics of what Focal does. It sounds a bit compressed. So I'm not sure if I would try to discredit the AFC while giving points to the Sennheisers to be honest, as it is not exactly their strong point also.

May 20, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 25
I disagree. Both the HD 650 and HD 800 lack the dynamics of what Focal does. It sounds a bit compressed. So I'm not sure if I would try to discredit the AFC while giving points to the Sennheisers to be honest, as it is not exactly their strong point also.
This is something I've been reading lately, and noticed with the new HD660S. I kinda find Utopia can be too dynamic with certain tracks, although works quite well for live instrumentals. I didn't find Clear's dynamics intrusive, but it was more on the damped side though.

The way the drivers are provided are different. Focal has this patented driver design.

FocalElex_Creative_Infpgraphic_OLS_20171214154345.jpg

focal_utopia_3.jpg

May 20, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 25
The HD800 is dynamic and dangerously so with the right amp, but to say the AFO lacks dynamics is just silly. It's a very punchy and almost in-your-face headphone. Part of the dynamic factor is bass and the AFO has the HD800 easily bested.

May 20, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 25
AFO has just as punchy mid-bass as Elear does from my experience with them. HD800 has both micro and macro dynamics galore, but doesn't sound 'fast' like the AFO or Elear. However it has a massive soundstage and very diffused sounding.

To get a sound more akin to the HD650, AFO is a better choice than the HD800.

May 20, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 25
Bested in linear extension maybe, macro dynamics isn't there. I used it out of the audio-gd master 9 and that is known to be quite a dynamic amp. It just doesn't scale. In my region of SEA, we have almost everything to demo. Collectively almost everyone agree it's just a lacklustre experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back