Sennheiser HD800 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 2nd gen vs. Klipsch Heritage HP-3
Feb 28, 2018 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
I have the HD800 which I love it and would keep it even I have more and better one.

I had been interested in the Byerdynamic T1 first generation. Of course I like the 2nd generation even more.

I had Klipsch Synergy home theater system and bookshelf RP-160M. Needless to say I love this brand.

in the nest 4-5 months I may spend about $1000-1400 on a toy, either a DSLR lens at $1400 or a headphone with a couple of hundreds less. Yes, the $1400 is my max budget and disposable funds on toy:)

As for the pair of headphone, the Beyerdanamic T1 2nd generation and Klipsch heritage HP-3 are in the radar. I know there are many posts and threads on each already. I am wondering if any member here happens to have listened the above three headphone a lot and le me know if any of the two that I am considering can complement the HD800 significantly or deliver great but different kind of sound than the HD800.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I have an HP-3. I've never heard an HD800, and most of the reviews I've read said that while the detail retrieval is very good, it's not HD800 level. I've heard it's Eikon level.

Don't forget they're unapologetically V shaped. 80-100 hz was a bit too much for me by about 2 db. That being said, I LOVE these headphones. They're the best looking headphones outside of the Auteur and they are very, very fun.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you Gambitek. I had read similar reviews. I am very satisfied with the HD800 and am just have the thought of "I want the Klipsch and T1 2nd" also. I guess I have contain my urge to get another headphone and spend the money on the lens for this time being..

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Well, you can find them brand new at some places for $200 off :), 999 vs 1199 is almost 20% off!

If I can catch a great deal I may get it.

IMHO, if you are driving the HD800 with the HDVA600 you are listening the HD800 at 70% of the headphone capability. I would like to suggest you to consider to buy a more appropriate amplifier for the HD800 instead to buy new headphones.

I underline this is IMHO!
Enjoy music.
Carlo

The HDVA600 is specicifically designed for the HD800 by Sennheiser. If it only bring 70% of HD800 capability, I am not that sure about it. I am sure there are better amplifier but they might be more expensive. The HDVA600 has 4 outputs and is very convenient.

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 10
What I wrote is due to a comparison I did using the HDVA, the Violectric V281 and my OTL.

The OTL was definitively the best. The Sennheiser, IMHO, was even better of the Violectric. I'm pretty sure that the HD800, well driven, is one the best dynamic headphones. The amplifier make a great difference in the final sonic result.

This is why I stated my idea.
I'll never end to say that this is only IMHO.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 10
The OTL is simply out of my reach given my current disposable cash. The Violetric seems to be great. Will see when I can get an upgrade :smile_phones:.

How much better will the V281 make HD800 better than with the HDVA600? Did you use it only without pre-amp?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Perhaps I was not so clear in my statement. The Sennheiser HDVA is better than Violectric in driving the HD800.
If you consider to spend money for Violectric you can, with the same amount, think to buy a good OTL.
My comparison was made connecting all the amplifiers to my DAC (Lector Digicode S-192). No pre-amp was used.
Carlo

P.S.
Al my statement are always IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back