Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #6,676 of 8,689
+1 for the Quicksilver.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #6,677 of 8,689
Hi there,

I have spray-painted mine without taking apart, with masking tape. If you do this, be very careful to protect the drivers from paint, and this may void warranty, so do it after your warranty is over. I didn't want to take it apart, since that may have been even more riskier, and maybe the sound changes after reassembly.

It wasn't too hard to mask, since there is a little gap between the ring and rest of the headphone, and the inner part of the ring I just tucked in the tape carefully with a toothpick. I did not use sandpaper on the ring, so the headphone can be converted back to original and is not damaged permanently. I covered the grills with 2-3 layers of masking tape to ensure no paint goes in. The paint job may not be 100% perfect, but I hope you like it.

I used Tamiya TS-18 Metallic red, Mr. Hobby Semi Gloss varnish and yellow masking tape, all these you can buy in a shop for plastic models. I hope the varnish will protect the paint, and I usually not touch the ring, so hopefully it will last for some time. :darthsmile::darthsmile:
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #6,679 of 8,689
On balance I prefer balanced

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #6,682 of 8,689
Hi there,

I have spray-painted mine without taking apart, with masking tape. If you do this, be very careful to protect the drivers from paint, and this may void warranty, so do it after your warranty is over. I didn't want to take it apart, since that may have been even more riskier, and maybe the sound changes after reassembly.

It wasn't too hard to mask, since there is a little gap between the ring and rest of the headphone, and the inner part of the ring I just tucked in the tape carefully with a toothpick. I did not use sandpaper on the ring, so the headphone can be converted back to original and is not damaged permanently. I covered the grills with 2-3 layers of masking tape to ensure no paint goes in. The paint job may not be 100% perfect, but I hope you like it.

I used Tamiya TS-18 Metallic red, Mr. Hobby Semi Gloss varnish and yellow masking tape, all these you can buy in a shop for plastic models. I hope the varnish will protect the paint, and I usually not touch the ring, so hopefully it will last for some time. :darthsmile::darthsmile:
IMG_1903.JPGIMG_1904.JPGIMG_1907.JPGIMG_1897.JPGIMG_1895.JPGIMG_1896.JPGIMG_1899.JPG
Bold experiment! Your headphones seem to have got a new colored life. Maybe the sound also changed? )
cherno-beloe-foto-s-krasnym-zontom.jpeg

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #6,683 of 8,689
Depends on the set up.
You can get excellent performance from single ended and balanced alike.
I have a nuc serving flac and such to a yggy via usb. The yggy uses the balanced output to my GSX Mini. I am using the stock single ended cable right now. I don't want to change the sound. I am not looking to "tune" the headphones to my taste. I am wondering if they will gain anything from the extra power that the balanced out on my amp provides? Can't qualify what they would gain, maybe even better soundstage or something? I don't know.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #6,684 of 8,689
I don’t know what is better, balanced amps can offer more voltage if the topography of the amp is truly balanced. Technically the dac should be balanced as well, although the analogue xlr out will convert to balanced. The fact that you are using se kind a defeats the voltage benefits. I doubt it effects timber or any other aspect of sound. Can’t comment on yggy…. imo

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #6,685 of 8,689
I have a nuc serving flac and such to a yggy via usb. The yggy uses the balanced output to my GSX Mini. I am using the stock single ended cable right now. I don't want to change the sound. I am not looking to "tune" the headphones to my taste. I am wondering if they will gain anything from the extra power that the balanced out on my amp provides? Can't qualify what they would gain, maybe even better soundstage or something? I don't know.

I'd just go xlr and be done with the guessing, that way you can use the amps full power. I know the hd650 has an impedance swing up to like 420ohms, so I'm assuming the HD800s might have a similar swing as well. Sound won't change, but the bass might possibly sound fuller.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #6,686 of 8,689
I don’t know what is better, balanced amps can offer more voltage if the topography of the amp is truly balanced. Technically the dac should be balanced as well, although the analogue xlr out will convert to balanced. The fact that you are using se kind a defeats the voltage benefits. I doubt it effects timber or any other aspect of sound. Can’t comment on yggy…. imo
To clarify, the only thing that is SE is the connection from amp to headphones. IE the headphone cable. The DAC to amp is balanced and I am wondering if I should fork out three hundred bucks for the Sennheiser balanced headphone cable. I had one on order the other day but cancelled it believing I wasn't going to like my new HD 800 S. I was wrong.

I'd just go xlr and be done with the guessing, that way you can use the amps full power. I know the hd650 has an impedance swing up to like 420ohms, so I'm assuming the HD800s might have a similar swing as well. Sound won't change, but the bass might possibly sound fuller.
Thanks I was wondering about the bass as well.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #6,687 of 8,689
Yes I got that. Sure do it because your not utilizing balanced power in se mode from gsx. You want xlr out. Gsx mini is a true balanced amp right? I don’t know cause I have gsx mk2 which is a balanced amp end to end

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #6,688 of 8,689
Yes I got that. Sure do it because your not utilizing balanced power in se mode from gsx. You want xlr out. Gsx mini is a true balanced amp right? I don’t know cause I have gsx mk2 which is a balanced amp end to end
From the description on Headamp:
Built using a special variation on our well-reviewed class-A audio circuit from the GS-X mk2 based on the famous dual-differential design by Kevin Gilmore the new GS-X mini is the first HeadAmp product to deliver balanced headphone drive from all audio sources, single-ended, or balanced.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #6,689 of 8,689
The Gsx mini is a fully balanced amplifier, so is your yggy.
I would definitely go balanced, not for the power as to utilize the full potential of the equipment.
The equipment you have is designed with a balanced principle in mind.
Using the single ended of the Gsx mini is like using half of your amplifier.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #6,690 of 8,689
From the description on Headamp:
Built using a special variation on our well-reviewed class-A audio circuit from the GS-X mk2 based on the famous dual-differential design by Kevin Gilmore the new GS-X mini is the first HeadAmp product to deliver balanced headphone drive from all audio sources, single-ended, or balanced.
This means that is converting the single ended input to balanced.
But in your case it doesn't apply since you are using the balanced input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back