Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 18, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #5,776 of 8,689
I still look to sound improvement in my cables

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #5,777 of 8,689
Nice. Bought them in the Sennheiser sale?
I did! But I was unlucky enough to buy them later in the sale, and they had run out of product. They were supposed to be back and shipping in late May, but it's nearly June 20th and still nothing. Oh well, I guess I just wait. That said, can't wait to hear them though!

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #5,778 of 8,689
well ill pry open the can just for the halibut, sound improvement ( preference) is the primary motivation, microphonic and rfi second and aesthetics including softness is third, but please carry on. I dare not say this in SS
I personally have experienced a spectrum of sound quality due to different cable choices. And not just limited to “broken” cables vs functional cables. Most of them were so close that they could be considered “within placebo range,” but there have been exceptionally “good” and “bad” cables. Some people look for frequency response changes, but what I’ve noted is more along the lines of clarity or lack thereof. This all comes from the capacitance & resistance of the wire, and the quality of shielding against EMI. At the weight/flexibility/ergonomics most of us are willing to accept, the shielding will be the biggest factor (cables are also antennas and electromagnets), but there are some cables that have an effect (positive or negative) that is surprisingly not subtle. These are measurably objective factors, but they are not often disclosed, and sadly it can be difficult to know the end result until you actually listen with the cables... and there is some snakeoil out there, but that doesn’t represent the whole industry.

With that said, the stock cables are usually a good bet (and they benefit from economies of sale). You’d better believe headphone makers take cable construction into consideration with the design of the headphone, particularly with higher end headphones.

Edit: And keep in mind, modifying a stock cable will void its warranty, and if you do submit it as part of a warranty claim, they’ll unfortunately have to deny service and throw away the cable because it could be a safety hazard.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #5,780 of 8,689
Following up on the cable discussion ... would anybody know a cable LIGHTER than the stockcable? As much as I appreciate it, I am looking for the lightest possible solution while working. Thanks!
I've had good luck with the litz cables from Aliexpress as they can be order to different lengths and are light and flexible.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #5,781 of 8,689
Have sold my Forza cable and settled on the stock again. Being German I can imagine how meticulously the HD800S was engineered and they certainly didn’t skimp on the cable.
The only stock cable I always thought inferior was the old Audeze cable.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #5,782 of 8,689
I heard that when you buy the 800s now they come with a voucher for a XLR cable? Is this still true or do I have to get a 4.4mm to 4-pin XLR adapter?
If so, any suggestions? I was thinking of grabbing random ones from AliExpress.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #5,783 of 8,689
I heard that when you buy the 800s now they come with a voucher for a XLR cable? Is this still true or do I have to get a 4.4mm to 4-pin XLR adapter?
If so, any suggestions? I was thinking of grabbing random ones from AliExpress.
Mine 6 months ago didn’t. I bought one from eBay. Not so sure it sounds a lot better t

Jun 25, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #5,786 of 8,689
Mine 6 months ago didn’t. I bought one from eBay. Not so sure it sounds a lot better t
I bought one in Canada 6 months ago. No voucher for XLR cable.
Definitely no voucher. I got an adapter from eBay.

Damn, reddit said something about this like 8-9 months ago so I just wanted to verify.
Any suggestions? I was thinking of either of these.
Anyone know if they are legit?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001108541655.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.31eb3c00wHRyZb&mp=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962784575.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.31eb3c00wHRyZb&mp=1

Thank you everyone! Head-Fi'ers are always so helpful and kind. <3

edit:
Is there any difference/issues to have a adapter instead of a fill wired 4-XLR cable like from Moon or what not?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #5,787 of 8,689
I
Damn, reddit said something about this like 8-9 months ago so I just wanted to verify.
Any suggestions? I was thinking of either of these.
Anyone know if they are legit?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001108541655.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.31eb3c00wHRyZb&mp=1
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962784575.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.31eb3c00wHRyZb&mp=1

Thank you everyone! Head-Fi'ers are always so helpful and kind. <3

Appreciation is always shown by giving a like here 😝.
I personally would get one from amazon and not Aliexpress. I just checked, some have ratings and you can always return if you are not happy with it. Price very similar...

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #5,788 of 8,689
I

Appreciation is always shown by giving a like here 😝.
I personally would get one from amazon and not Aliexpress. I just checked, some have ratings and you can always return if you are not happy with it. Price very similar...

Ah very good, I shall like everything lol.
Amazon is kinda low on stock due to Canadia issues.
Amazon always gets me good stuff but since inventory is scarce, I figured I'd dabble in AliExpress since I ordered a SMSL m200/sp200 stack from Takstar audio and it's been stellar service.

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #5,789 of 8,689
Is there any difference/issues to have a adapter instead of a fill wired 4-XLR cable like from Moon or what not?

That is an eternal discussion. Each connection / bridge is a loss but the question is "does it matter". My answer to adapters is no, provided it is a quality adapter as far as I can judge. I do avoid cable-based adapters and prefer the ones which come in one piece. For one connection (2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS) I once had two adapters, and there were more differences between the two than I had expected.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #5,790 of 8,689
here's the story, currently using questyle 4 stack with NEI2001 to drive my HD800S, I'm using a audio sensibility statement silver to use as the balanced cable
but both the stock cable and this silver don't meet my expectations in terms of bass dynamic, indeed more than enough bass is there, but It took some pain to dive fast and deep------especially when I was quite the fan of HD25. I currently don't want to change the overall amp setup, which part should I try to change?
My best guess was that statement silver cable since it's only 24AWG silver, which is more like a portable setup instead of desktop, or maybe I should improve my power condition?(I only use basic output of my apartment)
Or maybe... just maybe, HD800s is not my best choice for a bouncy yet large soundstage?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back