Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 11, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,491 of 8,689
Years of meets and listening to hundreds of headphones leaves me feeling that flagship cans are less variable, frequency response wise. So I’m not looking for those characteristics, but am seeking (and finding) hundreds (?) of little cues in the realms of true timbre, perceived ambience, and natural dynamic attack. When that is present, the overall presentation is, for me, immediately vital and alive. Instantly recognizable. 800 and 800S certainly are among those.

I find far fewer $500< cans to be close to this level of refinement (the HD6__ series being an exception, explaining why they hang around forever). :smile_phones:

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #5,492 of 8,689
thanks everyone

will the magni 3 be ok for the hd 800s iyo? or would the newer magni 3+ or heresy be better i dont really want to spend more then what the magni costs if possible if you think my current magni 3 is not good enough? and would the newer magni 3+ or heresy even be better for my current lcd2 c? luckily my ear problem went away and it turns out was was not related to my headphones i think thankfully, i still would like to get the hd 800s though if i can maybe later this year as my dad said he might be able to get me them as a gift

Apr 13, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #5,494 of 8,689
Hi guys, dont know of anyone can help, so here goes.
I have hd800s and a dcs rossini, i also have a naim headline 2 running off my naim 552 pre amp right now and looking at getting a cable made up so i can balanced direct from the rossini balanced outputs.
Anyone tried this? Plus any ideas on where to go to get a cable.
Cheers

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #5,495 of 8,689
Hi guys, dont know of anyone can help, so here goes.
I have hd800s and a dcs rossini, i also have a naim headline 2 running off my naim 552 pre amp right now and looking at getting a cable made up so i can balanced direct from the rossini balanced outputs.
Anyone tried this? Plus any ideas on where to go to get a cable.
Cheers

From the Rossini to what? Assuming you're talking about to the 552, Naim doesn't make balanced gear so you can only use single ended out of the Rossini to connect to the 552 -- you need a RCA to 5-pin DIN cable (it cannot be the other way around). You can get them from Naim dealers or online ( Flashack and Witch Hat in the UK are mentioned most often)

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #5,496 of 8,689
EDIT: *Apologies, wrong thread.*
Wow am I super, super late to the HD800 party, don't know why I waited so long. Enjoying these very, very much via WA33.
Waiting on a 3m Cardas Clear Dual 3-Pin XLR to arrive to compare to the stock cable that I terminated to XLR. These sound great with the stock cable, but I want to hear how they can sound by pushing the envelope a bit.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #5,497 of 8,689
From the Rossini to what? Assuming you're talking about to the 552, Naim doesn't make balanced gear so you can only use single ended out of the Rossini to connect to the 552 -- you need a RCA to 5-pin DIN cable (it cannot be the other way around). You can get them from Naim dealers or online ( Flashack and Witch Hat in the UK are mentioned most often)
The rossini to drive the headphones direct from its balanced outputs, i have heard that other people have done such a thing, but vant find any info on it.
Would need a twin female xlr to the sennheiser connections. Would it drive them ok is one concern.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #5,498 of 8,689
Wow am I super, super late to the HD800 party, don't know why I waited so long. Enjoying these very, very much via WA33.
Waiting on a 3m Cardas Clear Dual 3-Pin XLR to arrive to compare to the stock cable that I terminated to XLR. These sound great with the stock cable, but I want to hear how they can sound by pushing the envelope a bit.
Actually its the perfect timing , first batches of the 800S had thinner BASS the newer ones are better , enjoy it :)

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #5,499 of 8,689
I don’t beleive different batches had different tuning. I’m # 920 and got plenty o bass. I won’t suggest what Helped the overall presentation of hd800s, I’m forbidden.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #5,500 of 8,689
The rossini to drive the headphones direct from its balanced outputs, i have heard that other people have done such a thing, but vant find any info on it.
Would need a twin female xlr to the sennheiser connections. Would it drive them ok is one concern.

I thought the HD800s came with a balanced cable. Is that not true?

Moon Audio is a great source for custom cables and adapters. I'd check that out. There are tons of other online stores that do the same - just search.

I have no idea if it's a good idea to connect the headphones to the XLR outputs or not.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #5,501 of 8,689
They do, but its not got the normal balanced connection its a balanced 3.5mm jack ( think thats what you would call it)

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #5,503 of 8,689
I don’t beleive different batches had different tuning. I’m # 920 and got plenty o bass. I won’t suggest what Helped the overall presentation of hd800s, I’m forbidden.
i bought it two times , it had different tuning

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #5,504 of 8,689
Ahh I see in sens wisdom they change tuning of headphones, it’s amazing that it isn’t public knowledge.

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #5,505 of 8,689
Ahh I see in sens wisdom they change tuning of headphones, it’s amazing that it isn’t public knowledge.
Actually it is common in headphones industry its just you never noticed it , btw they even changed the 800S packaging , accessories , labeling from old to the new batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back