Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 30, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #5,476 of 8,686
failed cable.jpg
Has anyone had the sleeve of their HD800S cable tails fail? It's the darnedest thing! This (photo) is the tail of the cable, 10cm from where it enters the headphone cup. It has happened three times, and on each tail. At first I thought I had been careless with the cable, but on the third occasion, over 6 months, I am sure I have not abused the cable.

I reckon the cable is flexing where it drops from the cup and hits my chest, and the sleeve has just failed, in a sort of spiral fracture. I suspect a manufacturing defect in the composition of the rubbery material of the sleeve.

Also in the photo is my repair of the other tail. All I can think of is to use insulation tape - I do not know of any heat shrink which would slide over the plugs and shrink enough to tighten fully.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #5,477 of 8,686
You could EQ them (I personally wasn’t a fan but a lot of folks like this option, it’s free and easy with oratory1990’s guides. Pretty interesting to read about if anything) or try the tube road. I believe every 800 should be tried with a tube amp just to see if you’re into it. If things ever return to normal, there are meets and of course you can audition various tube amps at some stores.

My opinion before the tube amp was factoring in diminishing returns the T1 Version 2 was a better buy for headphones to my taste. Accurate highs, amazing mids and stronger lows. Just fuller in general. Imaging close and soundstage as close as one can get but the 800 is just so good there. Just my limited and inexperienced opinion.
Yup, love the S with my tube amp. Magical.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #5,478 of 8,686
failed cable.jpgHas anyone had the sleeve of their HD800S cable tails fail? It's the darnedest thing! This (photo) is the tail of the cable, 10cm from where it enters the headphone cup. It has happened three times, and on each tail. At first I thought I had been careless with the cable, but on the third occasion, over 6 months, I am sure I have not abused the cable.

I reckon the cable is flexing where it drops from the cup and hits my chest, and the sleeve has just failed, in a sort of spiral fracture. I suspect a manufacturing defect in the composition of the rubbery material of the sleeve.

Also in the photo is my repair of the other tail. All I can think of is to use insulation tape - I do not know of any heat shrink which would slide over the plugs and shrink enough to tighten fully.

While I have not seen this on my 800S's, I have on my HD700's. If it is still in warranty, I would definitely submit a claim. When faced with wanting to use heat shrink over a too big connector, you can build up the cable using vinyl tape and apply size that fits over it. It's not pretty but does work. Just make sure you go at least an inch beyond on both sides.

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #5,479 of 8,686
Twice my 800S cables has split, the second time was last week and a quick email to their service dept, and they shipped out a replacement that day.

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #5,480 of 8,686
would i like the HD 800 s based on the following?

if i love the HD 6xx/650 and the audeze lcd2 classic and only just like the hifiman sundara as the treble was a bit much but not as much of an issue as the dt 990 is in terms of treble and also dont like the dt 990 becuase of too much treble, will i like the HD800 s iyo?

Unfortunately ever since i got the lcd2 clasic i have been having ear aches every so often, and im not 100% sure if its the headphones, but the only time i seem to have ear aches is when i use them for a few hours at a time, i think maybe its the slight preasure from the seal they give, and now that i got a haircut were my sides of my head around my ear are buzzed, i notice the seal even more, and when the pads get sweaty/sticky, the seal is even more pronounced i feel, and i have not had this problem with any headphone prior to this, i have sold my hd 6xx but still own the dt 990 and i have to use them now when my ears starts hurting even though they dont sound as good and i dont like the pronounced treble in them.

so the only other headphone i know from researching them back when i got my lcd2 classics to try next if this problem persists is the HD 800 s and focal clear as they seems to be something i would love i think from reading about it, and it would not have the preasure effect of the lcd2 classics

please and thanks

also i know this probably sounds weird that i am having this ear problem, but i have always have been prone to having ear aches and getting swimmers ear even just from using the shower sometimes since i was little. so like i said im not 100% sure it the headphones, but at the same time it only seems to flare up and be an issue when i use the lcd2 classics and not the dt990 that i own or hd 6xx that i have owned

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listend to other non edm type also), media, to video games

sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #5,481 of 8,686

if i love the HD 6xx/650 and the audeze lcd2 classic and only just like the hifiman sundara as the treble was a bit much but not as much of an issue as the dt 990 is in terms of treble and also dont like the dt 990 becuase of too much treble, will i like the HD800 s iyo?

Unfortunately ever since i got the lcd2 clasic i have been having ear aches every so often, and im not 100% sure if its the headphones, but the only time i seem to have ear aches is when i use them for a few hours at a time, i think maybe its the slight preasure from the seal they give, and now that i got a haircut were my sides of my head around my ear are buzzed, i notice the seal even more, and when the pads get sweaty/sticky, the seal is even more pronounced i feel, and i have not had this problem with any headphone prior to this, i have sold my hd 6xx but still own the dt 990 and i have to use them now when my ears starts hurting even though they dont sound as good and i dont like the pronounced treble in them.

so the only other headphone i know from researching them back when i got my lcd2 classics to try next if this problem persists is the HD 800 s and focal clear as they seems to be something i would love i think from reading about it, and it would not have the preasure effect of the lcd2 classics

please and thanks

also i know this probably sounds weird that i am having this ear problem, but i have always have been prone to having ear aches and getting swimmers ear even just from using the shower sometimes since i was little. so like i said im not 100% sure it the headphones, but at the same time it only seems to flare up and be an issue when i use the lcd2 classics and not the dt990 that i own or hd 6xx that i have owned

i use my headphones as my primary audio source, so for everything from music (mostly edm like above and beyond, but i listend to other non edm type also), media, to video games

The HD800/S is among the most breathable headphones there is.

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #5,482 of 8,686

please and thanks

My personal opinion would be grab the Beyerdynamic T1 V2 (especially for gaming). These can be found around 650 new on Amazon from authorized sellers with return policy. For gaming these are only 2nd to the 800S and that depends entirely on the rest of the chain and it is extremely close expect soundstage. They have outstanding imaging and mids that are so freaking good. They have that warmth and immersive pressure with ambient sound. If you’re running a tube amp, 800S is a no brainer to my ears. I understand the science, but for me personally I just can not believe the difference tubes make and no I could not equalize anywhere close to the life tubes add to the 800S. The nice thing about the T1 V2 is they are incredible on something as inexpensive as the JDS Atom. 800S not so much to my ears. The 800S does what it does so precisely that you may find it wanting more life for audio (especially some games) that it will give being so clinical and analytical. It’s just such a beast at what it does. You add better and better equipment to the chain the 800S has a humongous ceiling.

If I was doing it all over again, for gaming, I’d be beyond happy with my T1 V2 they are that good and good gosh they are comfortable. There are definitely diminishing returns between the price difference. Once you get the 800S, now you need balanced cable, now you need balanced DAC, now you need balanced Tube amp, all worth it though lol.

For music this one is tough.The 800S will destroy any companies efforts to be lazy with the quality of the source. Few times I’ve listening to tracks and heard breaks and other defects I thought I may have an issue. Changed sources and yes, it was there. That can be a bit annoying especially if you’re zoned in and not just hearing but truly listening. For great sources, man you’ll hear everything.

I didn’t feel the 800S was worth it over my T1 V2 with my original set up. Once you start throwing more money at it, pretty dang amazing unless you are just full steam on super clinical sound. I want accuracy with warmth and life but most importantly, imaging and soundstage (due to gaming specifically).

Due to our rotations for Covid-19 fight, there’s been days I’ve worn the 800S 12+ with short breaks for rest room and food as I work. They’re never even a hint of uncomfortable. T1 have amazing comfort and build quality as well and for my head, I prefer these. The 800S always just seems a bit “loose” where you can expand the earphones. I find myself investigating the lines to make sure they’re even. Not a thing with the T1.

Sound is subjective. 800S most definitely should be owned by anyone who just loves different headphones. It’s hard not to smile at the stories of people buying, selling only, to return a year or two later and being blown away after purchasing again.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #5,483 of 8,686
My personal opinion would be grab the Beyerdynamic T1 V2 (especially for gaming). These can be found around 650 new on Amazon from authorized sellers with return policy. For gaming these are only 2nd to the 800S and that depends entirely on the rest of the chain and it is extremely close expect soundstage. They have outstanding imaging and mids that are so freaking good. They have that warmth and immersive pressure with ambient sound. If you’re running a tube amp, 800S is a no brainer to my ears. I understand the science, but for me personally I just can not believe the difference tubes make and no I could not equalize anywhere close to the life tubes add to the 800S. The nice thing about the T1 V2 is they are incredible on something as inexpensive as the JDS Atom. 800S not so much to my ears. The 800S does what it does so precisely that you may find it wanting more life for audio (especially some games) that it will give being so clinical and analytical. It’s just such a beast at what it does. You add better and better equipment to the chain the 800S has a humongous ceiling.

If I was doing it all over again, for gaming, I’d be beyond happy with my T1 V2 they are that good and good gosh they are comfortable. There are definitely diminishing returns between the price difference. Once you get the 800S, now you need balanced cable, now you need balanced DAC, now you need balanced Tube amp, all worth it though lol.

For music this one is tough.The 800S will destroy any companies efforts to be lazy with the quality of the source. Few times I’ve listening to tracks and heard breaks and other defects I thought I may have an issue. Changed sources and yes, it was there. That can be a bit annoying especially if you’re zoned in and not just hearing but truly listening. For great sources, man you’ll hear everything.

I didn’t feel the 800S was worth it over my T1 V2 with my original set up. Once you start throwing more money at it, pretty dang amazing unless you are just full steam on super clinical sound. I want accuracy with warmth and life but most importantly, imaging and soundstage (due to gaming specifically).

Due to our rotations for Covid-19 fight, there’s been days I’ve worn the 800S 12+ with short breaks for rest room and food as I work. They’re never even a hint of uncomfortable. T1 have amazing comfort and build quality as well and for my head, I prefer these. The 800S always just seems a bit “loose” where you can expand the earphones. I find myself investigating the lines to make sure they’re even. Not a thing with the T1.

Sound is subjective. 800S most definitely should be owned by anyone who just loves different headphones. It’s hard not to smile at the stories of people buying, selling only, to return a year or two later and being blown away after purchasing again.
I second the tubes. I only use the S with a tube amp.

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #5,484 of 8,686
thanks, but i dont think i would like the beyer t1 based on the amount of treble it has

what i am trying to ask, is if i like the hd 650, lcd2 classic, and dont like the dt 990, will the the treble of the hd 800 s be ok for me? i looked at the graphs and it does not seem to be much more then hd 650 was and not nearly the amount of the dt 990

Apr 10, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #5,486 of 8,686
I like the HD800S and thought the DT990 was too peaky.

thanks, if its even just a bit more the hd 650 it will ok, i just dont want anything near the dt 990 level of treble

for what its worth i called the official product support of Sennheiser and he said the treble is about the same or not much more then hd 650 and he said he thinks i would enjoy the hd 800 s a lot based on what i told him

Apr 10, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #5,487 of 8,686
I like the HD800S and thought the DT990 was too peaky.

Agree'd. DT1990 wasn't too bad but was peaky and the T1 V2 is not peaky at all to my ears. Also heard people complain about the mids being too recessed!

thanks, if its even just a bit more the hd 650 it will ok, i just dont want anything near the dt 990 level of treble

for what its worth i called the official product support of Sennheiser and he said the treble is about the same or not much more then hd 650 and he said he thinks i would enjoy the hd 800 s a lot based on what i told him

Good call on asking them directly. The right play seems to avoid anything that would even suggest being peaky based on that a lone being such a big factor. Sounds like the 800S are in your future. Enjoy!

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #5,490 of 8,686

Users who are viewing this thread

Back