Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #5,446 of 8,689
IMHO If someone asks "what would be a better upgrade for my 800S, amp or dac", I would answer only if I actually have an opinion on the two options. I wouldn't offer some mysterious, expensive, little understood third option and describe its merits in cryptic terms. IMHO

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #5,447 of 8,689
Ok sorry lesson earned. Rarely does anyone ask for expensive, mysterious, little understood solutions. I certainly won’t offer it again. Carry on listening to hd800S.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5,448 of 8,689
Ultimate music server: PC -> ADI-2 DAC

The ADI-2 DAC has a built in detection feature that will tell you if the data is transferring perfectly or not using special sound files. It should always transfer perfectly if set up right, making it the best transport theoretically possible.

In terms of what's more effective, amp or DAC, it depends on if the headphones are already amped enough or not. If they are, they just throw money at either if you don't feel like upgrading your headphones. The difference will be negligible.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #5,449 of 8,689
Actually another poster introduced the subject by asking is a better dac or amp worth it running hd800S. I stated both enhanced my listening enjoyment but to be truth ful another component brought more positive change. I brought it up years ago on the tt thread to Robb, I said what is going on I slapped this server on and tt never sounded so good, he ignored me. Again not giving advice except what I found. You bring up a good point, discussions around other components should be carried out in any thread, but I hesitated to mention brands or try to take further discussions to an appropriate thread. Cheers to all, now can we discuss cables next.
Going OT a little is fine and normal, but within reason of course. Like now, we should probably stop this OT conversation here as it is going on a little longer, but it has been fine. Cheers.

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #5,450 of 8,689
Thx for the consideration and recommendations

Mar 26, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #5,451 of 8,689
Always looking for more mids and instrument separation. Have we noticed a improvement when changing dacs.
With my 800s
Given your signal chain, you owe yourself to check out a Schiit Bifrost 2 Multibit as an alternative to your dragonfly. I am listened to Tidal now with a Bifrost MB+Unison USB with excellent instrument delineation and staging. I also have a Schiit Modi MB and an Oppo 105D and I can hear the difference between the DACs in each.

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #5,452 of 8,689
Are you making sure your volumes are matched? I'm pretty sure that's scientifically impossible unless something is wrong with one or both.

Mar 27, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #5,453 of 8,689
Are you making sure your volumes are matched? I'm pretty sure that's scientifically impossible unless something is wrong with one or both.
If you’re referring to my comment, there is no science that proves the conversion of a digital signal back to analog through different methods and different filters plus different output stages cannot result in measurable and audible differences. OTOH, if you were trying to be funny, please add an emoji next time.:wink:.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #5,454 of 8,689
However much I love my HD800S, I'm pissed off with it's cable, thats the second time the top rubber part has split open.

Is it just me or is it a common problem ?

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #5,456 of 8,689
Have these for a 4 years almost and no problem. It depends how user abuse each item. Now earpads degrade quite fast!

Cool, but one thing I noticed on this cable I have, the rubber part about the Y split seem to twist all the way up the cable, like it's under some spiralling tension.

I'm not sure if thats the cause of it or not, but I do have a spare cable, bought one a whileback, as I like to have spare parts on hand instead of having to wait for a rma.

Schiit happens I guess.

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #5,457 of 8,689
I recently just bought the benchmark dac3 and replaced a dac2, and I can't tell a difference with the S. Where I can tell a fantastic difference is moving from the bryston bha1 ss to the icon audio hp8 tube amp, both which I also recently purchased. I much prefer the S with the tube amp because it just sounds so alluring and buttery.

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #5,458 of 8,689
I recently just bought the benchmark dac3 and replaced a dac2, and I can't tell a difference with the S. Where I can tell a fantastic difference is moving from the bryston bha1 ss to the icon audio hp8 tube amp, both which I also recently purchased. I much prefer the S with the tube amp because it just sounds so alluring and buttery.

Couldn't agree more though I am not running anything as nice as yours. From the JDS Atom to the Xduoo TA-20 and definitely smiling. Working on finding a good source for some better tubes. I am going to hunt down a balanced DAC though so the chain is complete. Hopefully that is worth it!!

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #5,459 of 8,689
Cool, but one thing I noticed on this cable I have, the rubber part about the Y split seem to twist all the way up the cable, like it's under some spiralling tension.

I'm not sure if thats the cause of it or not, but I do have a spare cable, bought one a whileback, as I like to have spare parts on hand instead of having to wait for a rma.

Schiit happens I guess.
Coud be this. I just coil my cable like a snake so it wont tangle and last 70cm of it just sit on my lap whitout any stress for cable when im listening.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #5,460 of 8,689
Coud be this. I just coil my cable like a snake so it wont tangle and last 70cm of it just sit on my lap whitout any stress for cable when im listening.

It could be, but I really don't know what caused it.

I have at the moment wrapped the split part with self amalgamating rubber tape. I do have a spare cable that I bought a year ago, but I would like sennheiser to fix or replace the original cable, as it's still within it's warranty period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back