Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,967 of 8,689
LCD-2 certainly has a huge divot in the mids and the top half of the top octave... comparing that to the 800S is laughable. The 800's do have a bit of a suckout in the upper mids, but it doesn't wreck the sense of dynamics, or screw up the tonality of voices, or the serious detail. Yes I'm sure it adds a sense of depth, and helps listening to difficult recordings.

PDG - pretty damn great.

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #4,968 of 8,689
For people looking for a portable device to drive the HD800S I'd strongly recommend to read up about the E1DA PowerDAC V2. It does a beautiful job driving them and would be a great option for use in a office or hotel room. It does also have a HD800S to Harmon preset for those interested in that.

20190916_120105.jpg

20190916_115549.jpg

The price? $59 with free shipping from Aliexpress :wink:

Sep 16, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #4,970 of 8,689
Nice. I just bring one of my benchmark dacs with me to hotels for power.

What pads are those?

Ha ha, I like that :)

The pads are some no name sheepskin ones that I picked up for $26 on the latest Aliexpress sale. So far I'm really liking them.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #4,973 of 8,689
The only truth you have stated is your preference. Too forward upper mids can sound very harsh to some. And the ear’s concha gain amplifies the very region you just mentioned. So a dip there is what MOST people PREFER. On the other hand, Audeze has as much as a 15 dB drop there. That is lacking.

I prefer the dip, HD650 was too fatiguing after an hour.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #4,978 of 8,689
Anyone have sheepskin pads? How do you find the sound signature?

I have them and I much prefer the misodiko pads to the stock ones.

They are more or less exactly the same as the stock pads, but comfier and possibly make the bass a slight touch better.

Although they are hard to take off, but aslong as you don't use force and use the dekoni removal method, everything is milk and honey.

I forgot to add, my pads were starting to look manky and flat as I use them alot, but with a splash of audeze leather care juice, rub in wait a few minutes and buff out, the pads are like new again.

I recommend everyone who uses leather pads to show them some love on a regular basis and juice them up.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #4,980 of 8,689
I spent a number of hours this weekend going back and forth between stock and Misodiko lambskins on my HD800S.

Overall I found them quite usable, both comfortable and of decent quality, especially as they're about half the price of OEM.

They do seem to me to take away more air than I'd really prefer, but the effect isn't actually unpleasant, just very ... polite.

I suspect they might do better on an 800, but I'll probably stick to OEM on the S.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pfgo
Back