Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 5, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #4,576 of 8,689
I also have a question for anyone using these dekoni earpads https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...kin-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd800-headphones/
I see that these have their own dust cover attached to them. For those of you who have tried these, did you remove the stock dust covers that are already in the 800S or just leave them in? It seems kind of weird to me to have two separate dust covers, having the dekoni ones over the stock ones.

May 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #4,577 of 8,689
I too am not a fan of the stock pads but i have been hesitant to change them based on people saying the sound signature gets changed too much with other pads. I have considered the Dekoni ones but these are where some of the claims have come from. I have to order these right now and give them a try. Is it easy to remove the stock 800S pads, how does one do it? Also are thes leather ones easy to install?

The stock pads just pop off, but are a pain to put back on, well mine are but you soon learn how to put them back on and it gets easier with time. These misodiko leather pads just snap right on.

You should have no problems.

May 5, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #4,578 of 8,689
I also have a question for anyone using these dekoni earpads https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...kin-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd800-headphones/
I see that these have their own dust cover attached to them. For those of you who have tried these, did you remove the stock dust covers that are already in the 800S or just leave them in? It seems kind of weird to me to have two separate dust covers, having the dekoni ones over the stock ones.

With the dekoni's, you need to remove the sennheiser dust covers, otherwise the sound is terrible. With the misodiko pads I posted earlier, you need to keep the sennheiser dustcovers in place.

May 15, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #4,580 of 8,689
Hey guys and gals, our friends Acoustic Designs is launching their new headphone listening lounge tomorrow and hosting a launch event for those of you looking to audition some of the better headphone gear in the Phoenix area this is the place to go. Good deals and good people Scottsdale Arizona.

Those in the Arizona area you definitely want to check out a new headphone dealer are encouraged to swing by if you can! Not all brands listed just yet on their site (like Sennheiser), but it is indeed a growing list! @TSAVJason will be there to support the success of their store.

May 16th, 5pm-8pm
16074 N. 78 st, B104, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
https://headphones.acousticdesignsinc.com/
(888) 296-0950

May 16, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #4,581 of 8,689
I'm enjoying the HD800S out of the ZDS, but I want more mids. That's the only thing I find 800S to be the weak point. Bass is quite tight and articulate when it's called for, but with some tracks it can come off a bit lacking. On the other hand, I like it with certain electronic stuff that pushes out significant bass, and bass is really good when it hits.

If the HD800S can be fine tuned, I'd say add mids to it like the HD6 series with it's technicalities with the large sound stage, I think it would be complete. I know it does classical, live recordings, and jazz really well. It sounds quite amazing with certain tracks, and some doesn't sound balanced, and I notice this imbalance attributed to the mids.

For example, something about the mids of the HD6XX that I like that enhances the music in forwardness. It particularly effective with certain recordings that needs a bit of mids boost like the older recordings, classic rock, etc.. But, of course HD6XX is lacking in a bit in clarity, the tightness, and general clean response that the HD800S has. Can we get best of best worlds?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #4,582 of 8,689
I'm enjoying the HD800S out of the ZDS, but I want more mids. That's the only thing I find 800S to be the weak point. Bass is quite tight and articulate when it's called for, but with some tracks it can come off a bit lacking. On the other hand, I like it with certain electronic stuff that pushes out significant bass, and bass is really good when it hits.

If the HD800S can be fine tuned, I'd say add mids to it like the HD6 series with it's technicalities with the large sound stage, I think it would be complete. I know it does classical, live recordings, and jazz really well. It sounds quite amazing with certain tracks, and some doesn't sound balanced, and I notice this imbalance attributed to the mids.

For example, something about the mids of the HD6XX that I like that enhances the music in forwardness. It particularly effective with certain recordings that needs a bit of mids boost like the older recordings, classic rock, etc.. But, of course HD6XX is lacking in a bit in clarity, the tightness, and general clean response that the HD800S has. Can we get best of best worlds?
Not possible or you should go to completely open design like mysphere.

May 16, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #4,583 of 8,689
I guess it comes down to personal taste.
I don't find HD800s to be short of mids just think that the mids are natural and spot on with the proper amount.
Just listen to let's say a famous soprano aria.
The voice is heard as it's supposed to be heard at the mix without coming into the foreground.
But sometimes people prefer a little emphasis on mids and that's were the HD6 series comes into as being more mid centric.

May 16, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #4,584 of 8,689
I guess it comes down to personal taste.
I don't find HD800s to be short of mids just think that the mids are natural and spot on with the proper amount.
Just listen to let's say a famous soprano aria.
The voice is heard as it's supposed to be heard at the mix without coming into the foreground.
But sometimes people prefer a little emphasis on mids and that's were the HD6 series comes into as being more mid centric.
No. Even graphs show that HD800S have recession in mids. Its part of the design. Music that have lot of mids would be lacking, its ez to see in comparison to HD600 for example.

May 17, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #4,586 of 8,689
Not possible or you should go to completely open design like mysphere.
Why not? I figure if Sennheiser to come up with an improvement, that would be their next goal.

I guess what you mean is the tuning is on purpose? I have read why sound stage is so big. It's due to the angled driver right? Also, I wonder the large driver have something to do with it as well.

I should have been more specific. I meant the upper mids are recessed. You get that perception due to a quick transition to a significant treble level within the narrow frequency range. And I think this recession contributes to the perception of large sound stage, airyness.

I understand why you'd recommend earspeakers. The way 800S sits on my head, it doesn't really seal completely, so maybe partly on the way to a non-sealed earspeaker.

Maybe I should give earspeakers more extended listen. From a short demo, I didn't find them to sound like the HD6 series tonally, it gave off that sound of narrower band of upper portions being most enhanced, sounding tonally off. HD6 series still has that fuller sounding response in comparison.

May 17, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #4,587 of 8,689
No. Even graphs show that HD800S have recession in mids. Its part of the design. Music that have lot of mids would be lacking, its ez to see in comparison to HD600 for example.

I listen exclusively to classical music were the mids are the foundation.
Never found it lacking on mids.
Comparing the HD800s with the reference Elac BS 312 speaker's I am hearing the same results although at the leaner side of things.

May 17, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #4,588 of 8,689
I have, not in general or even by much, but in comparison to what i expected from Sennheiser after owning HD600/HD650/HD660s, it does sound just a little light in the Mids. In my opinion if i hadn't owned those headphones prior or Audio-technicas i wouldnt of noticed it.

May 17, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #4,589 of 8,689
I listen exclusively to classical music were the mids are the foundation.
Comparing the HD800s with the reference Elac BS 312 speaker's I am hearing the same results although at the leaner side of things.
Cause you're a fanboy. I love HD800S, but it is lacking in mids. Great lower mids, but 1.5khz to 4khz is lacking big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back