Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,562 of 8,689
The 800S deserves to be used in a balanced configuration for maximum expression of its outstanding quality.

Eh? In my experience balanced is not necessarily better than single ended as long as the components used are of good quality.

Apr 26, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #4,563 of 8,689
Oh here we go

Apr 26, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #4,564 of 8,689
Is the general consensus still that the HD800s’s are still a better overall headphone than the HD820’s? Almost every single professional and personal review I’ve read seems to confirm this. I’m in the market for either headphone and will be pairing it with an HDV 820 DAC. I’m more a “fun” listener person than a “critical” one. I also like to PC game a lot as well (not competitive, just for fun). I’m also more of an EDM listener than a classical one. I’m torn between which headphone I should get and I can’t really afford to make the wrong choice. I’m leaning more towards the HD800s again from what I’ve read. Thank you.

I actually wrote a review comparing the two:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-the-hd820-and-the-hd800s-r766/

The HD820’s frequency response is just too far from neutral to be recommended, especially for the price. The HD800S, on the other hand, is a spacious, revealing set of cans.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #4,565 of 8,689
I actually wrote a review comparing the two:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-the-hd820-and-the-hd800s-r766/

The HD820’s frequency response is just too far from neutral to be recommended, especially for the price. The HD800S, on the other hand, is a spacious, revealing set of cans.
Oh thanks for sharing your detailed review. It was a very interesting read. Particularly interesting is the HD820 Presentation by Axel Grell (formerly of Sennheiser)

Apr 29, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #4,566 of 8,689
Oh thanks for sharing your detailed review. It was a very interesting read. Particularly interesting is the HD820 Presentation by Axel Grell (formerly of Sennheiser)

I had no idea he left, here is a new website i found http://grellaudio.com/

Unless he becomes a consultant it will be interesting to see Sennheisers new vision of high end sound.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #4,567 of 8,689
To the guys earlier who told me "a properly driven HD800s has great soundstage". Well i never doubted you, finally upgraded & now experiancing it. I have to say the SMSL SU-8 & Audio-GD NFB-1 Amp is a nice combo with the HD800s! also fairly... I don't want to say cheap, but budget friendly. Honestly though i probably should of just got one of there Dac/Amp combos to begin with....... Live & learn.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,568 of 8,689
To the guys earlier who told me "a properly driven HD800s has great soundstage". Well i never doubted you, finally upgraded & now experiancing it. I have to say the SMSL SU-8 & Audio-GD NFB-1 Amp is a nice combo with the HD800s! also fairly... I don't want to say cheap, but budget friendly. Honestly though i probably should of just got one of there Dac/Amp combos to begin with....... Live & learn.
Glad you are now experiencing the 800S magic.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #4,569 of 8,689
Glad you are enjoying them! There are definitely some great amp/dac combos out there. I use an Oppo HA-1 to drive my 800S and it sounds fantastic!

May 1, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #4,571 of 8,689
I also use an HA-1 to drive both the 800S and also the Aeon Flow Closed....Really enjoy what that amp can do as both HP's need some "juice" to sound their best!

I use both Balanced input and Balanced output to get the best from this amp.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #4,572 of 8,689
When I hear a recording which blows me away on sound quality with a particular headphone, I like to share. With the HD800S, try the album "Nine Firmaments" by Arne Jansen Trio. The sense of realism of the instruments is stunning.

May 4, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #4,573 of 8,689
I don't like the stock pads for the 800S, I just don't like the material used. I linked some of you to misodiko lambskin leather pads for the 800/S, they are exactly the same size as the stock pads but in leather, very good quality and price. £36 from Amazon.

I replaced my Dekoni's with these and I'm loving them, it's basically a set of stock pads but in leather instead, it's also much easier to clean, the stock senn pads get manky quickly and need to be soaked and washed, instead of a quick wipe.

If anyone is looking for a leather replacement for the stock pads, look no further.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/misodiko-U...&qid=1557024915&s=electronics&sr=1-2-fkmrnull

May 5, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #4,574 of 8,689
I don't like the stock pads for the 800S, I just don't like the material used. I linked some of you to misodiko lambskin leather pads for the 800/S, they are exactly the same size as the stock pads but in leather, very good quality and price. £36 from Amazon.

I replaced my Dekoni's with these and I'm loving them, it's basically a set of stock pads but in leather instead, it's also much easier to clean, the stock senn pads get manky quickly and need to be soaked and washed, instead of a quick wipe.

If anyone is looking for a leather replacement for the stock pads, look no further.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/misodiko-U...&qid=1557024915&s=electronics&sr=1-2-fkmrnull
I too am not a fan of the stock pads but i have been hesitant to change them based on people saying the sound signature gets changed too much with other pads. I have considered the Dekoni ones but these are where some of the claims have come from. I have to order these right now and give them a try. Is it easy to remove the stock 800S pads, how does one do it? Also are thes leather ones easy to install?

May 5, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #4,575 of 8,689
I too am not a fan of the stock pads but i have been hesitant to change them based on people saying the sound signature gets changed too much with other pads. I have considered the Dekoni ones but these are where some of the claims have come from. I have to order these right now and give them a try. Is it easy to remove the stock 800S pads, how does one do it? Also are thes leather ones easy to install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back