Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 28, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #4,323 of 8,689
I tried the dekoni , went back to OEM pretty quickly.

Sennheiser seem to be one where their OEM pads are pretty much already the best for the cans.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4,325 of 8,689
With a few exceptions the HD800S prefer tube or tube hybrid amps in my experience. What you buy depends on your budget but if you can't audition in person it would be a good idea to buy from a dealer that will accept returns if the amp does not work for you in your system. It is hard to find an amp under $1700 that really makes the most of the HD800S. The good news is the HD800S sound very good from a $150 Schiit Vali and will scale when you buy a better amp down the line. I used a Vali 2 while my Kenzie was being built and I still have it around, it is a laid back tube hybrid that pairs well with the HD800S. Hard to go wrong with a Vali 2 as s starter amp for the HD800S, just replace the stock tube with something better like a NOS Amperex ECC88.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #4,326 of 8,689
With a few exceptions the HD800S prefer tube or tube hybrid amps in my experience. What you buy depends on your budget but if you can't audition in person it would be a good idea to buy from a dealer that will accept returns if the amp does not work for you in your system. It is hard to find an amp under $1700 that really makes the most of the HD800S. The good news is the HD800S sound very good from a $150 Schiit Vali and will scale when you buy a better amp down the line. I used a Vali 2 while my Kenzie was being built and I still have it around, it is a laid back tube hybrid that pairs well with the HD800S. Hard to go wrong with a Vali 2 as s starter amp for the HD800S, just replace the stock tube with something better like a NOS Amperex ECC88.
I'm thinking gsx mini paired with pavane. I think that would be a good balance. Warm dac. Transparent brighter amp. Along with a ambre streamer

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #4,327 of 8,689
Im still thinking gsx mk2 isn’t bright at all, it really steps out of the way. You better like pavane sound.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,329 of 8,689
Multiple people have said the mk2 is glary
Not a chance. their source is glary, their dacs are glary. Headamp biggest compliment is that its fast, steps out of the way, and dark is black as the deepest night.
You want some bloom you better like your source and dac, and all connections.
Ps read my sig below to see my rig

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #4,330 of 8,689

I believe that the Schiit Mjolnir 2 with decent tubes is a solid choice under 1700US.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #4,331 of 8,689
Tyll Hertsen (now retired) from InnerFidelity reviewed the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and noted it was not an ideal match for the HD800S, the pairing being overly bright without EQ while praising the Eddie Current tube amps paired with the HD800. The Eddie Current Zana Deux S (now discontinued, replaced by the Aficionado) is a legendary tube amp for the HD800S and when you see one for sale in the classifieds they don't last long. If I was spending $3000 for a new amp for the HD800S I would get on the waiting list for an Eddie Current Aficionado no question. They hold their value well also: a used Aficionado just sold on another forum within 12 hours at $2500 plus shipping ($3200 new.) If you don't want tubes you may as well buy the Sennheiser HDV 820 DAC/Amp, at least it was tuned for the HD800S.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #4,332 of 8,689
I agree that in general that a tube or tube hybrid works best with the HD800S. Currently, I am using the Cavalli Liquid Platinum hybrid. The HD800S is refined and spacious with the LP.

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #4,333 of 8,689
In my experience a bad amp can ruin a good headphone but all good amps sound the same to me. I am glad i dont notice a difference too it saves me money.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,335 of 8,689
Yes but the cable was the silver one , so i emailed Sennheiser telling them that i was furious about
that and they offered an immediate exchange with the black one.
Location Greece , bought 9.2018

I would have paid an extra 250€ for your serial number. It represent my birthday :frowning2: Mine is 18001

Would u mind doing a speed test on your sennheiser usb stick? Just curious :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back