Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #4,262 of 8,574
I think this is the cheapest i've ever seen a new pair of HD800S sell for https://www.e-infin.com/ww/item/302...lYyO5nYnuiKKlyrYLdCpK_nuPAhfTPoIaAqRmEALw_wcB

Quite a deal, i think if anyone is looking for a pair, i wonder if they are legit/authorized Sennheiser Dealer.
I bought se846 from them - they were legit / but not an authorised dealer. They are grey imports. If you have to submit warranty claim to manufacturer they can ask to see your proof of purchase / then refuse support because they are grey imports.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #4,264 of 8,574
i woudnt worry about used Sennheiser products. Never heard of any failures except in 500series range.

Normally I'd agree but I had my HD800S balanced cable ($449.95 Can) literally desolve on me.... my HD700 ($145.Can) cable stop functioning....and then my IE800s ($999. Can) lose audio in one ear piece..all replaced without a hassle by Sennheiser Canada under warranty...that's over $1500 in replacement costs. :triportsad:
Also recently 2 pairs of Urbanites, one barely used had their ear pads disintegrate, unfortunately both just out of warranty. But that's not par for the course thankgod as a 40 year old pair of HD414s and 10 year old HD580 had will attest.

Anyone else experience this, went to put on my 800S and the balanced cable felt a bit strange on the left side, took them off to discover the outer sheathing has actual started to gum up and disintegrate : ( , headphones have been babied and kept in my living room. The rubber has suddenly deteriorated where it actually leaves black goo on my fingers and crumbles into pieces..????
They are still under warranty until May so I'll contact Sennheiser tomorrow, otherwise its an expensive inconvenience to replace. : (

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,265 of 8,574
Normally I'd agree but I had my HD800S balanced cable ($449.95 Can) literally desolve on me.... my HD700 ($145.Can) cable stop functioning....and then my IE800s ($999. Can) lose audio in one ear piece..all replaced without a hassle by Sennheiser Canada under warranty...that's over $1500 in replacement costs. :triportsad:
Also recently 2 pairs of Urbanites, one barely used had their ear pads disintegrate, unfortunately both just out of warranty. But that's not par for the course thankgod as a 40 year old pair of HD414s and 10 year old HD580 had will attest.
Cable and earpads, headband will wear out in time thats expected. Im not talking about this.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #4,267 of 8,574
No, not at all.

Lasted on mine for 2 days before I went back to the original pads.

YMMV though

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #4,270 of 8,574
I tried the Dekoni sheepskins, it was a terrible idea - they trapped the highs and slowed down the HD800S, the cans sounded just wrong - to the point where you could feel a slight pressure buildup in the ear cups after listening for a while - this may not be the case for everyone, I’m oversensitive to pressure buildups so I can’t stand most of the noise cancelling cans.
Comfort was great.
I quickly went back to the stock pads - not touching the pads on the 800S ever again... if you’re going to change the pads, I would avoid anything with hard materials that can potentially trap air and mess up the sound.

Cheers,

Would you guys recommend replacing the ear pads for this one ? this should be the best of the best there is.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...rid-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd800-headphones/

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #4,271 of 8,574
I tried the Dekoni sheepskins, it was a terrible idea - they trapped the highs and slowed down the HD800S, the cans sounded just wrong - to the point where you could feel a slight pressure buildup in the ear cups after listening for a while - this may not be the case for everyone, I’m oversensitive to pressure buildups so I can’t stand most of the noise cancelling cans.
Comfort was great.
I quickly went back to the stock pads - not touching the pads on the 800S ever again... if you’re going to change the pads, I would avoid anything with hard materials that can potentially trap air and mess up the sound.

Cheers,
so only the original? I am too sensetive to those

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,272 of 8,574
If you’re too sensitive to treble with the original pads, I would definitely try the other pads before buying them if you can. I would think that fenestrated or hybrid pads would all be better than the full sheepskin one that I bought for the hd800S.
This is only my subjective opinion though, so try the pads, you may end up liking what you hear :).

I also have the HD820, the pads on those are leather (I think) around and velour on the part that goes against your head, thy are like the hybrid dekonis. Works well for the 820 maybe those are worth a try?

Have you tried EQing to tame the treble? I’m quite sensitive to treble but never had an issue with the 800S, I used the hdvd800 in the past and now use the hdv820, I reckon those tend to tame the hd800 series so may not be representative of the typical transparent amp.

so only the original? I am too sensetive to those

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #4,273 of 8,574
If you’re too sensitive to treble with the original pads, I would definitely try the other pads before buying them if you can. I would think that fenestrated or hybrid pads would all be better than the full sheepskin one that I bought for the hd800S.
This is only my subjective opinion though, so try the pads, you may end up liking what you hear :).

I also have the HD820, the pads on those are leather (I think) around and velour on the part that goes against your head, thy are like the hybrid dekonis. Works well for the 820 maybe those are worth a try?

Have you tried EQing to tame the treble? I’m quite sensitive to treble but never had an issue with the 800S, I used the hdvd800 in the past and now use the hdv820, I reckon those tend to tame the hd800 series so may not be representative of the typical transparent amp.
I am not sure there is no way I'll know, only buying it and test and if not liking them at that time would be too late I think they have returns but the delivery would cost me and not a bit

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,274 of 8,574
Ah, you’re just going to have to jump then, there are lots of impressions on this thread so look around to balance my impressions a bit :)
I am not sure there is no way I'll know, only buying it and test and if not liking them at that time would be too late I think they have returns but the delivery would cost me and not a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back