Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 18, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,796 of 8,689
Audio-gd NOS11 V2 also "does the damage" with them. :jecklinsmile:

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,797 of 8,689
Woo WA2...but I'm biased.
Hey Bill,

Got your Yggy back yet? I'm anxious to hear your take... Man I'd love to listen to that WA5-LE (2nd gen) Headphone Amplifier....$5K but it sure looks sweet....I know you love your WA2...hope its pairing nicely with your Yggy Analog 2 upgrade!

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,798 of 8,689
Hey Bill,

Got your Yggy back yet? I'm anxious to hear your take... Man I'd love to listen to that WA5-LE (2nd gen) Headphone Amplifier....$5K but it sure looks sweet....I know you love your WA2...hope its pairing nicely with your Yggy Analog 2 upgrade!

Schiit received it last Monday, 9/10. Still waiting for the email saying it's on it's way back. Hopefully within a week.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,799 of 8,689
Just received my second pair of HD800S, there are some minor differences between this pair and the pair I sold 2 years ago:
1. No velvet on top of the foam that protect the headphone.
2. The bundled 4 pins XLR cable has a silver-colored jack, rather than black.
3. Some rough edges on the black plastic parts of the headphone housings.

Sonically, I have no complaint. However, the overall presentation and build quality of this new pair seems subpar. I am slightly disappointed. Perhaps it's due to the introduction of HD820 - the best workers may be allocated to the HD820 production line. BTW, the serial number of my pair is 169xx.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #3,800 of 8,689
Just received my second pair of HD800S, there are some minor differences between this pair and the pair I sold 2 years ago:
1. No velvet on top of the foam that protect the headphone.
2. The bundled 4 pins XLR cable has a silver-colored jack, rather than black.
3. Some rough edges on the black plastic parts of the headphone housings.

Sonically, I have no complaint. However, the overall presentation and build quality of this new pair seems subpar. I am slightly disappointed. Perhaps it's due to the introduction of HD820 - the best workers may be allocated to the HD820 production line. BTW, the serial number of my pair is 169xx.
That seems very odd. I just ordered a replacement HD 800 storage box from Sennheiser for my HD 800 S headphones and it was still lined with synthetic silk. The fact they included a silver CH 800 cable is also strange. Personally, I would exchange them for a different pair because I suspect it is an isolated incident or the seller shipped you an open-box pair.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #3,802 of 8,689
I bought my current HD800S directly from Sennheiser at Axpona in mid April and it has the black balanced cable and no rough edges. Same box as the first ones I bought when they first came out.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,807 of 8,689
Based on the replies above, it seems Sennheiser may have shipped silver CH 800 cables when they were out of stock of black versions. Although it’s a minor issue, it’s not a minor purchase.

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #3,808 of 8,689
I just checked online about the packaging of HD820 and there is no velvet within the box. So I guess there will no longer be velvet in the entire HD8xx series packaging. However, HD820 does come with black 4 pins XLR cable. I agree with iDesign that Sennheiser just ship HD800S with silver colored balanced cable when they are out of stock of the black version.

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #3,810 of 8,689
I have just received the answer from Sennheiser through their Greek retailer so i have to translate.
Well as it was expected the official answer is that some batches of the product may ship with the silver balanced cable
without further notice and this should be considered normal.

To their credit they offered immediately to replace the cable.
It should be ordered from Germany and it will take about a week.
Kudos to Sennheiser and their local branch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back