Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #3,047 of 8,689
More FFT measurements were posted (including measurements by others, and measurements we did on KEMAR). You can find them by clicking here (scroll down the post).

Interesting FFT measurement graphs, but from looking at the final few ones that are posted on here, it appears that the distortion components are indeed higher on the HD800S samples compared to the HD800 samples, especially H2, or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #3,048 of 8,689
Interesting FFT measurement graphs, but from looking at the final few ones that are posted on here, it appears that the distortion components are indeed higher on the HD800S samples compared to the HD800 samples, especially H2, or am I wrong?

39 Hz @ 90 dBSPL: The H2 difference is 4.094 dBSPL
39 Hz @ 100 dBSPL: The H2 difference is 2.778 dBSPL
78 Hz @ 90 dBSPL: The H2 difference is 1.681 dBSPL
78 Hz @ 100 dBSPL: The H2 difference is 0.967 dBSPL

You'll see (across all the measurements we’ve posted) that sample to sample the values change to the degree one could reasonably expect in acoustical measurements even in calibrated systems; but one thing that does not change is that we never approach the 20 dB difference in the original FFT in any of the tests, including this particular pairing. All of these values in any of these combinations represent substantial differences (much lower) from the 20 dB shown as the H2 difference that led to the conclusion that Sennheiser did deliberately "add second harmonic distortion to the [H800S's] low notes to 'bloom' them up a bit."

Another thing that does not change from sample to sample, test to test, is that using that same 40 Hz sine stimulus at either 90 dBSPL, 100 dBSPL, or 105 dBSPL never resulted in H3 exceeding H2 (as it did in the first FFT), which (a) represents a significantly different distortion profile in that test (between the two models), and (b) is largely responsible for the 20 dB difference that was shown. In all of the 40 Hz tests we’ve posted, with all of the samples, at any of those three levels, H2 was always substantially higher than H3.

While I do feel these two models sound different, I think the answer to why and how is not answered by 40 Hz sine FFT plots.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3,049 of 8,689
Hello guys, looking for some advice here

Since yesterday I’m the proud owner of a brand new pair of HD800 S . Having had the HD650s for about 4 years I used to drool about buying some HD800 and the the HD800S when they came out.

I was quite happy with the HD650s but I wanted and upgrade because 1- was looking for a wider soundstage 2 - sound was too relaxing (when I put them on I fall asleep 80% of the time, not kidding!)

My current setup is a Hifiberry Digi pro > Schiit mimby > Schiit Valhalla 1. The setup is modest but does wonders for the HD650s but I think is not getting the best of my new babies: I’m not hearing the massive soundstage everyone talks about (yeah it’s obviously bigger than the HD650s but I expected more) I really would like a warmer sound. Not as warm as the HD650s but something in the middle.

I’m broke as screw right now because this purchase but you now how this hobby is. So here goes the question: where should I start first?

I’d really appreciate your advise!

First of all, congrats on the HD800S!! It's really a great headphone.
Before spending any big bucks, I would suggest downloading the trial of True-Fi and see how that works on your current rig. It really work for me and I have the tonality and richness I was looking for. You may be surprised.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3,050 of 8,689
First of all, congrats on the HD800S!! It's really a great headphone.
Before spending any big bucks, I would suggest downloading the trial of True-Fi and see how that works on your current rig. It really work for me and I have the tonality and richness I was looking for. You may be surprised.

Thank you! Looks very interesting. It'd take the hifiberry digi pro and Volumio out of the equation but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #3,051 of 8,689
Hi guys

Please guide me ,
Do you thinking which tube amplifier best result for HD800S ?
My budget 2k

Thanks

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3,052 of 8,689
If I had lots of money I would go with the Eddie Current Super Zana Deux, which is 450 above your budget.

I’ve also read somewhere else that the new Sennheiser HDV 820 amp/DAC box that runs for about 2,400 get the best of the HD800S, but I’m not fond of that approach since it seems more like a one trick pony to me.

I have a Schiit Mjolnir 2 on the way + some WE396A tubes (with adapters of course).

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #3,053 of 8,689
If I had lots of money I would go with the Eddie Current Super Zana Deux, which is 450 above your budget.

I’ve also read somewhere else that the new Sennheiser HDV 820 amp/DAC box that runs for about 2,400 get the best of the HD800S, but I’m not fond of that approach since it seems more like a one trick pony to me.

I have a Schiit Mjolnir 2 on the way + some WE396A tubes (with adapters of course).

I second the Zana Deux Super & add the newer version of the Ampsound Mogawi.

Sadly, the good tube amps only really start at the $2,000 price range.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3,054 of 8,689
Hi guys

Please guide me ,
My budget 2k

Thanks

If your budget is $2k you could get a base Kenzie tube amp for $1700 shipped which works really well with the HD800S. If you are not planning on using any 600 ohm phones in the future ask Justin to make your Kenzie with 32 and 300 ohm headphone taps:

kenzie32300.png

I have been listening to one for two months now very satisfied. The HD800S sound best on the 300 ohm output. Expect to have to wait about a month for delivery which is not bad at all for custom built amps.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #3,055 of 8,689
If your budget is $2k you could get a base Kenzie tube amp for $1700 shipped which works really well with the HD800S. If you are not planning on using any 600 ohm phones in the future ask Justin to make your Kenzie with 32 and 300 ohm headphone taps:

kenzie32300.png

I have been listening to one for two months now very satisfied. The HD800S sound best on the 300 ohm output. Expect to have to wait about a month for delivery which is not bad at all for custom built amps.

What your idea about ifi pro or woo audio w22 ?
Your suggestion look good ,but in my country hard to buy it though Those 2 brands that I've shown are sales representative .

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #3,057 of 8,689
Unless you have deep pockets, I would rather buy Focal Clear with less money. It is quite efficient, and just sounds great out of your Iphone.
I like HD800S more very saticfay when using ,I want to hear maximum potential ,about focal clear never go back ,I remember when searching for Hd800s I have read comparisons with utopia .

Thanks buddy :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #3,058 of 8,689
Maybe I'll ask for that better

when used Ibasso DX200 amp3 balance mode the sound very clean bass powerful overall SQ very good, so the question right here if i buy tube amp like IfI pro and w22 do you thinking big upgrade for me?which one better
When i using aune x7s XLR line out SQ very good but it was slighly better than my Dx200 in drive and power not technically.
I scared spend a lot of money for hi end tube amp and don't get Upgarde .last question do you thinking when i bought hi end amp Still need to have DX200 anymore ?

Regards Mori

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,060 of 8,689
Hi guys

Please guide me ,
My budget 2k

Thanks
Woo WA 7
Schiit Mjolnir 2
Linear Tube MZ 2
Pathos Aurium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back