Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,756 of 8,689
I absolutely love my HD800S!  I never heard the original but I appreciate what I read as the difference.  The comfort of the HD800S is amazing in my opinion.  I love that I can listen to them for long periods of time, which I never could with the McIntosh and Audeze that I owned previously.

I currently use a Benchmark DAC3 HGC as the Pre-Amplifier/DAC/Control Unit.  The unit sounds fantastic when I can listen to my amplifier and speakers, but for the time that I can't the HD800S are amazing with the Benchmark.  Benchmark really make a great headphone amplifier and the new ESS9028PRO DAC chip is simply amazing!  Benchmark also like Sennheiser.  They actually offer Sennheiser headphones as accessories on their website!

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,757 of 8,689
  I absolutely love my HD800S!  I never heard the original but I appreciate what I read as the difference.  The comfort of the HD800S is amazing in my opinion.  I love that I can listen to them for long periods of time, which I never could with the McIntosh and Audeze that I owned previously.

I currently use a Benchmark DAC3 HGC as the Pre-Amplifier/DAC/Control Unit.  The unit sounds fantastic when I can listen to my amplifier and speakers, but for the time that I can't the HD800S are amazing with the Benchmark.  Benchmark really make a great headphone amplifier and the new ESS9028PRO DAC chip is simply amazing!  Benchmark also like Sennheiser.  They actually offer Sennheiser headphones as accessories on their website!

Yep. I somehow felt that the older brother was a bit more comfortable. They covered my whole ear while the HD 800S slightly, very slightly touch the lower part of my ear. Maybe it is the initial clamping force but not something I can't live with.

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,758 of 8,689
Just grabbed a HD800S due to the uber discount, sadly I'm a [silly lollipop] who doesn't have a proper amp for it, yet. Currently running it through a Asus STXII with Bursons V5 opamp, my question is which gain setting do I set? Please don't flame me about the STX II, I know ><

High gain 64-300ohm
Extra high gain 300-600ohm

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #1,759 of 8,689
Just grabbed a HD800S due to the uber discount, sadly I'm a [silly lollipop] who doesn't have a proper amp for it, yet. Currently running it through a Asus STXII with Bursons V5 opamp, my question is which gain setting do I set? Please don't flame me about the STX II, I know ><

High gain 64-300ohm
Extra high gain 300-600ohm

I'd stick at high gain for a lower noise floor if the volume is sufficient. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,760 of 8,689

I think you mean try low gain first. High gain raises the noise floor.

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,761 of 8,689

Settings on the STX II are low gain 0-64 ohm, high gain 64-300 ohm and extra high gain 300-600 ohm, so in this particular case high gain would be the lowest suitable setting for an HD800S. We get what you're trying to say though. 
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,762 of 8,689
oh - thanks. That makes more sense. Agree - the middle setting would be the best for starters.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,763 of 8,689
Thanks for the replies :)

I'm sticking with the high settings for the time being. Volume seems sufficient. Windows 10-20 for music/movie and 30 for games. Very clean and impressive sounds coming out of these!

The only downside I can currently feel is that the head band isn't sufficiently cushioned and makes the top of my head sore a little after extended usage.

Quote:

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,765 of 8,689

I had the same comfort issue and it was 100% solved with a $5 fix:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-AKG-K701-Q701-Sennheiser-HD700-HD800-/381438750596?hash=item58cf856f84:g:rlwAAOSwnDxUi93h

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #1,766 of 8,689
Hello there music friends.

I just bought the HD800 few months ago and, all around i'm amazed by the sound.
Some tracks, most of them old tracks, otherwise just cannot be listen with them.... a misture of bad recording and too much brightness.

I'm using a schiit lyr and chord 2qute.

In some tracks,  i can feel and listen to the bass. Its very good indeed... defined, just feels right. In Other tracks, just seems that the bass has gone...

My question is: I'm preparing myself to buy the Violectric 281 and sell the Schiit Lyr.

Its a lot of money, and I want to ask to the senior members: will I listen and feel a notable difference between the Lyr VS the Violectric?
Or the law of diminish returns will prevail , and I will just burn my money?

Please, any help is appreciated!

david

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,767 of 8,689
  Hello there music friends.

I just bought the HD800 few months ago and, all around i'm amazed by the sound.
Some tracks, most of them old tracks, otherwise just cannot be listen with them.... a misture of bad recording and too much brightness.

I'm using a schiit lyr and chord 2qute.

In some tracks,  i can feel and listen to the bass. Its very good indeed... defined, just feels right. In Other tracks, just seems that the bass has gone...

My question is: I'm preparing myself to buy the Violectric 281 and sell the Schiit Lyr.

Its a lot of money, and I want to ask to the senior members: will I listen and feel a notable difference between the Lyr VS the Violectric?
Or the law of diminish returns will prevail , and I will just burn my money?

Please, any help is appreciated!

david

I have read that the Lake people used HD 800 to test their amplifiers. For sure you will notice differences, but it is subjective to how much you will. Always do a audition before spending that kind of money. Also, this thread is for the HD800S, maybe you will get more help on the Violectric ones. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,768 of 8,689
Dear Friend: Happy Holidays. I also landed the 800S and the 2Qute and the V280 all within the last 4 months. Great combo, you will be delighted. The Lake People really knows what they are doing. Just know you will be buying a tank of an amp. Cheers.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,769 of 8,689
  Dear Friend: Happy Holidays. I also landed the 800S and the 2Qute and the V280 all within the last 4 months. Great combo, you will be delighted. The Lake People really knows what they are doing. Just know you will be buying a tank of an amp. Cheers.

Lake People does sell quality products!  Love their house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back