Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 16, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,336 of 8,574

I see the less money confounding variable. I didn't realize you had TT to compare in your analysis?

Even I didn’t compare HUGO TT physically, I have done so many research on internet and finally found HUGO vs HUGO TT sound quality improvement is only around 10% and it is because of Galvanic isolation / Improved analogue stage output current and high-quality asynchronous B-type USB connection. On the other hand HUGO and MOJO sound quality not much different(almost same).Also I personally believe HUGO TT amp part not much better than dedicated AMP.
Any way Iam looking forward to  hear your impressions with HUGO TT (when your item arrived)…Also it really help to me as well as other friends in this forum.
Thx so much…

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,337 of 8,574

I see the less money confounding variable. I didn't realize you had TT to compare in your analysis?

Even I didn’t compare HUGO TT physically, I have done so many research on internet and finally found HUGO vs HUGO TT sound quality improvement is only around 10% and it is because of Galvanic isolation / Improved analogue stage output current and high-quality asynchronous B-type USB connection. On the other hand HUGO and MOJO sound quality not much different(almost same).Also I personally believe HUGO TT amp part not much better than dedicated AMP.
Any way Iam looking forward to  hear your impressions with HUGO TT (when your item arrived)…Also it really help to me as well as other friends in this forum.
Thx so much…

So now you have hugo as well to compare against mojo? Like you tested TT? Well you have more research to be done because those are not the only differential archectecture between hugo( that you seem to not tested) to TT ( that you have not tested) and mojo ( that is of the discussion) if you read john franks and robb watts refrences you will find why TT sounds like it does with a darker tone, bigger bass slam, and more detailed mids. From flip flops to wfa filter to super capaciters and the list goes on, of course galvanized hd usb as well, balanced out xlr...
Course like all things in electronics and hp there are diminishing returns in dollars spent but in a hobby where squeezing different sq enhancements is in fact what the grin is all about. Dollars becomes a personal value judgement.
Granted i didnt mean to derail the hd800S thread with so much chord discussion, but one should stick to what one hears as opinion, and if one tries to bring up facts, make sure you have all of them. I would not state what percent better any dac amp or combo is over a combo that i have, never mind dont have.
It seems that mojo benefits from an amp to power hd800S, and that i have no doubt. I dont own mojo so can or cant refute that mojo is no better than hugo although the posts i have read say the opposite.
Now much has been stated whether TT needs an external amp distortion because the amp throughput is quite substantial as it is, a few weeks I will post thoughts as to what benefits hd800S in this regard.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,338 of 8,574
Just my 2 cents, the HD800S has +-2dB lower treble proportion to mids and bass compared to HD800, giving them a more easily acceptable sound in general.
On the other hand, some vocals on the HD800S sounded weirdly closer to my ears in an unnatural way. Probably due to the HD800S having a very similar but tweaked sound signature to the HD800 which tries to maximize the pleasure of soundstage.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #1,340 of 8,574
To fellow HD 800S owners, any of you heard the Focal Utopia ? What do you think of them compared to the HD800 S ?

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #1,342 of 8,574
  Hi. If someone pairing the HD800S with Dragonfly Black, Red or Apogee Groove? Headphones arriving to me and i don't have much money write now for buy a solid amp. Any suggestions about good cheap combo? 

I've seen somewhere the Dragonfly Red paired with the HD600. It says something like it has enough power to drive them perfectly. As I own both HD600, HD800 and the HD800S, I can say if the HD600 works well on the Dragonfly Red, the HD800 will, same goes to the HD800S.
I used to own the DragonFly 1.2 as well, they are not very neutral, abit on the sparkly treble side, but it is very convenient and sounds good. I would still buy them again if given another chance. Although you might wanna consider a serious system for your HD800S as they don't 'sing' on a less sophisticated setup.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,343 of 8,574
  To fellow HD 800S owners, any of you heard the Focal Utopia ? What do you think of them compared to the HD800 S ?

Skip that Focal Utopia. It is not as comfortable as the HD800 or 800S. Besides if you watch all those reviews, the materials used doesn't match well creating a lot of noises when shaking it a bit.
Sound wise it may be better. Although personally if I had the money I would go for the Audeze LCD-4 or Hifiman HE1000 V2. Putting the Hifiman HE1000 V2 probably in favor. The LCD-4 is a bit heavy on the head. Other option is to go for  HD800S and buy a good proper aftermarket-cable. 

Stax-SR-007 and SR-009 are very good too. But you need some really good equipment (dedicated amp) to drive them. The Hifiman HE1000 V2 could be even driven by portable devices. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,344 of 8,574

Skip that Focal Utopia. It is not as comfortable as the HD800 or 800S. Besides if you watch all those reviews, the materials used doesn't match well creating a lot of noises when shaking it a bit.
Sound wise it may be better. Although personally if I had the money I would go for the Audeze LCD-4 or Hifiman HE1000 V2. Putting the Hifiman HE1000 V2 probably in favor. The LCD-4 is a bit heavy on the head. Other option is to go for  HD800S and buy a good proper aftermarket-cable. 

Stax-SR-007 and SR-009 are very good too. But you need some really good equipment (dedicated amp) to drive them. The Hifiman HE1000 V2 could be even driven by portable devices. 

Comfort is an individual thing and some people actually find HD800/S uncomfortable, I don't though. I think you should read up on what materials are used in Utopia and also why they were used, otherwise you're just gonna come across as clueless when you make such a statement. 

Oh, so you haven't even heard the Utopia? 
rolleyes.gif
 And please don't recommend people to waste money on aftermarket cables.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #1,345 of 8,574

Comfort is an individual thing and some people actually find HD800/S uncomfortable, I don't though. I think you should read up on what materials are used in Utopia and also why they were used, otherwise you're just gonna come across as clueless when you make such a statement. 

Oh, so you haven't even heard the Utopia? 
rolleyes.gif
 And please don't recommend people to waste money on aftermarket cables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FlThEB-JAI 1 minute, 40 seconds. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,346 of 8,574

Thanks for the insight. I have the HD 800 S right now and a Burson Conductor SL 9018 driving them. 

I really love them but was just curious about this new king that dethroned the 800S on Tyll's wall. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,347 of 8,574
  Thanks for the insight. I have the HD 800 S right now and a Burson Conductor SL 9018 driving them. 

I really love them but was just curious about this new king that dethroned the 800S on Tyll's wall. 

Tyll prefers warmer sound signature. HD800 presents "Sennheiser"- style soundsignature.

If something is removed from Tyll's prefered WOF, it doesn't mean its better/worse. For example, soundstage is far superior on the HD800/HD800S than utopia. Aswell as the build quality. To say the least, the soundstage in the Utopia is ****.... Its less than Ether C. Joke on 4000$ headphones

From the intial impressions some prefer HD800S and some Utopia. It's matter of taste.

And lets not forget that Ether Flow used ONLY balanced - output. If you combine HD800S with balanced cable to the right amp, they will truly shine.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,348 of 8,574

Oh, so you haven't even heard the Utopia? :rolleyes:  And please don't recommend people to waste money on aftermarket cables.
+1 Especially about cables.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,349 of 8,574
Tyll prefers warmer sound signature. HD800 presents "Sennheiser"- style soundsignature.

If something is removed from Tyll's prefered WOF, it doesn't mean its better/worse. For example, soundstage is far superior on the HD800/HD800S than utopia. Aswell as the build quality. To say the least, the soundstage in the Utopia is ****.... Its less than Ether C. Joke on 4000$ headphones

From the intial impressions some prefer HD800S and some Utopia. It's matter of taste.

And lets not forget that Ether Flow used ONLY balanced - output. If you combine HD800S with balanced cable to the right amp, they will truly shine.

Definitely a good point. Its just one man's opinion. I'm eager to hear more comparisons on the forums between these phones.

As for the balanced point of view I think it's a good point since lots of people might ve listening to the 800S in SE mode. I think tyll isnt though.

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,350 of 8,574
Quick question - Anyone has HD800 S with silver tipped single-end and XLR cable? The stock cables of my HD800 S (sold as new) have silver rather than black plugs, which is a little bit wired... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back