Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 24, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,984 of 8,689
Arma 3 is where it's at.

When using my HD800S, killing folk has never sounded so good.

I can clearly hear their skulls crack and splinter when I go CQB with my Barrett M82/M107

Oct 4, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #4,985 of 8,689
Finally pulled the trigger on acquiring a pair of these and I'm in love. I spent the better part of last night switching between the HD800 S and the HD650, the latter of which I have been using for the past 7~ years. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that things that previously sounded muddy are now well defined and 'balanced'. It's not as if you can now hear things that weren't already there, but as if a veil has been lifted. I feel like I'm slipping down a rabbit hole because I am now considering what other upgrades I can make to my sound system. I'm mostly curious to hear the HD 800 S on a tube amplifier that is well regarded for its warm, tubey sound like the Bottlehead Crack. Perhaps a good compromise is tube rolling my Schitt Valhalla 2? The stock tubes are supposed to be pretty neutral sounding (for tubes anyway). Thoughts?

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #4,986 of 8,689
Finally pulled the trigger on acquiring a pair of these and I'm in love. I spent the better part of last night switching between the HD800 S and the HD650, the latter of which I have been using for the past 7~ years. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that things that previously sounded muddy are now well defined and 'balanced'. It's not as if you can now hear things that weren't already there, but as if a veil has been lifted. I feel like I'm slipping down a rabbit hole because I am now considering what other upgrades I can make to my sound system. I'm mostly curious to hear the HD 800 S on a tube amplifier that is well regarded for its warm, tubey sound like the Bottlehead Crack. Perhaps a good compromise is tube rolling my Schitt Valhalla 2? The stock tubes are supposed to be pretty neutral sounding (for tubes anyway). Thoughts?

Congrats on the HD800s, it is a 'statement' headphone as far as I'm concerned and you will looooove it though a tube amp! I'm in heaven with the Woo Audio WA6.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #4,987 of 8,689
Don’t think about valhalla2 if you are looking for tubey and warm sound. Lyr 3 is better Schiit because of relaxed treble however it is hybrid not an OTL

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #4,988 of 8,689

For me, the 800 s is not "tubey" or soft on my WA6+. It is extremely transparent and detailed, with true timbre of instruments, vocals, and sounds arrayed in space, but in a relaxed presentation, unlike the up-front (row "A") presentation of the 600/650.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #4,989 of 8,689
I play them out of a xDuoo TA-20. Lovely warm clear sound and not expensive. It has replaced my Violectric 281 for these phones. Using Bugle Boy tubes.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #4,990 of 8,689
Interested in hearing from anyone who has tried HD800S with JDS Labs Element dac/amp.

I'm looking into one as a mid-tier option but would like to know the tonality and general performance of the pairing.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #4,991 of 8,689
For me, the 800 s is not "tubey" or soft on my WA6+. It is extremely transparent and detailed, with true timbre of instruments, vocals, and sounds arrayed in space, but in a relaxed presentation, unlike the up-front (row "A") presentation of the 600/650.

This is a great way to describe the 650. With the 800 S it feels like I'm sitting in dead center orchestra with a more balanced sound. I am not unhappy with pairing these headphones with the Valhalla 2, it's a great little amp that is more than capable of driving them. But I also think it would be interesting to hear them paired with other amps, although I'm not sure if I can justify that kind of additional expense right now. Something to consider for the future for sure. Thanks for your thoughts folks.

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #4,992 of 8,689
Hd800S just brings the boom.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,993 of 8,689
This may seem random. New HD800s owner and love these headphones. Do the HD800S suffer from the same paint chipping issue as on the normal HD800?. The black parts of this headphone appear to be unpainted. I'd like to keep them in the best shape possible.
I am currently looking at getting an 800S for testing purposes, and see some used ones on ebay with similar paint chip marks that plagued the original 800.
Has anyone else noticed this?
I would have thought the paint chip problem fixed by now with 800S, so like to know.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #4,994 of 8,689
how the heck do you chip paint on a HP?

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #4,995 of 8,689
I am currently looking at getting an 800S for testing purposes, and see some used ones on ebay with similar paint chip marks that plagued the original 800.
Has anyone else noticed this?
I would have thought the paint chip problem fixed by now with 800S, so like to know.
Have one tiny mark, but i accidently dropped it on the floor.
for caring users paint chiping wont be topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back