1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by shabta, Jan 19, 2016.
First

Back
321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330
332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341
Next

Last
  1. cdanguyen08
    Where did you get the case on the left?

2. bagwell359
    I've heard the 800 and 800S before, and was impressed, but not won over. Today I was listening to the HEK v2 on a bryston BHA-1, and enjoying its subtle and laid back sound. Switched in a 800S. More detail, true timbre - just better. Don't know about sub 30 hz bass because I didn't listen to any, but they seemed to have enough for what I was looking for. Very impressive, really does seem to be taken for granted/passed over.

dmdm and Hifiearspeakers like this.
  3. Hifiearspeakers
    You just replayed my journey, lol!

4. dmdm
    I have the Nighthawk and Nightowl and they both came with those cases.

5. urbanhorse
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, it sounds like I need to listen to the original model and the S side-by-side. I do think I would prefer the sound of the S though, and based on my testing I'd be quite happy with it. Does anyone use a tube amp with their S? Any thoughts on that?

dmdm likes this.
  6. Arniesb
    S model fixes highs problem, but there is still lack of mids so Copper cabling should be enough. No need for tubes, just get copper cable for a bit of added warmth and bass.

7. Hifiearspeakers
    Lack of mids on the 800S? Never heard that before, unless you’re talking about Audeze.

dmdm likes this.
  8. Arniesb
    Stop fanboying and accept the truth. It lack a lot of mids from 1.5 khz to 4 and i had HD600, 650 to compare. 600 touch too forward, Hd800S too distant. thats why it can sound thin sometimes because there is nothing to compensate lack of mids. If it were more forward it might loss its magical soundstage, but truth is truth.

9. Hifiearspeakers
    The only truth you have stated is your preference. Too forward upper mids can sound very harsh to some. And the ear’s concha gain amplifies the very region you just mentioned. So a dip there is what MOST people PREFER. On the other hand, Audeze has as much as a 15 dB drop there. That is lacking.

Deftone and dmdm like this.
  10. Arniesb
    Its impossible to have argument with you. Im done.

11. dmdm
    I just finished listening to the original Enigma album on the 800, and wow, they have the best presentation of the record I have ever heard. I bought that album day one when it was released and I've been listening to it regularly over the decades. Simply amazing headphones.

Hifiearspeakers likes this.
  12. dmdm
    Question for you all: where is a good place to get replacement earpads online? I just visited the Canadian Sennheiser site and they are $105 plus tax! Ouch.

13. dmdm
    The high problem is not a problem. I adore these cans because of said problem. To me the 800 is much better than the S, and I listen to them side by side. It's my preference.

Hifiearspeakers likes this.
  14. twiceboss
    No way i guess. Hd800 by far the biggest soundstage. Outstanding for fps gaming. Almost you got more advantage.

dmdm and Hifiearspeakers like this.
  15. twiceboss
    It depends on genre. Classical? Yes no need to care about the highs. For genre of top40 hits, u do need some eq to get a better experience.

Deftone, dmdm and Hifiearspeakers like this.
First

Back
321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330
332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341
Next

Last