Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 8, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #4,849 of 8,579
Is that 2k in $CAN? In which case I have not heard anything better than the HD800S at that kind of price. Mind you I've not heard the MrSpeakers Ether2 which seems well regarded by a bunch of folks and would be in your price range. I have not liked any Audeze headphone partly due to their sound signature and their weight. ZMFs are better in both respects but still have that rolled off planar top end. I recently heard the Empyreans which were one of the best sounding planars I have heard and very comfortable too but they are outside your budget I guess. Anyway that's just MY thoughts and does not constitute a reality or an ideal scenario for you! I am very happy with my HD800S and new Cayin HA300 which I believe to be a perfect pairing and one which gives me the sound signature I like and yet with comfort too.
I am happy with the 800 benchmark pairing. It's that lousy audiophile upgraditis wanna buy audio products syndrome. I've had it most of my life and it's an awful affliction.

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4,850 of 8,579
I am happy with the 800 benchmark pairing. It's that lousy audiophile upgraditis wanna buy audio products syndrome. I've had it most of my life and it's an awful affliction.
I hear ya..thankfully I seem to have found my peace with the HD800S-ADI-2-V280 combi but the upgraditus bug urges me to buy better speakers now..it's a bloody plague :D

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #4,851 of 8,579
I hear ya..thankfully I seem to have found my peace with the HD800S-ADI-2-V280 combi but the upgraditus bug urges me to buy better speakers now..it's a bloody plague :D
I'm lucky I found my holy grail speakers. I love my bryston golden ear synergy. Now I'm fully head over heels into headphones.

It's funny how I don't really listen to my speaker setup or home theatre anymore, I use headphones for everything.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #4,853 of 8,579
I was very disappointed with the Ether 2. The only headphone I’d upgrade with from 800S is the Susvara...but only if someone else pays for it.

Maybe the Arya? I keep hearing its the sweet spot in the Hifiman lineup.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #4,857 of 8,579
Mess 99 sorry yuk, imo. Empyrean seems promising, so does Diana phi.....but even susvara harmonious nature couldn’t do it, course if it was same price as Hd800S maybe, sure.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,858 of 8,579
Totally feel that.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,859 of 8,579
I was very disappointed with the Ether 2. The only headphone I’d upgrade with from 800S is the Susvara...but only if someone else pays for it.
What areas did you feel the Ether 2 fell short in? I have to admit to not personally meshing with the Ether Flow when I had it available on loan. For me it was just too clean and lacked any weight and while it is easy enough to over thicken a sound signature and make it a dull mess; however, lack of an appropriate amount of weight in the sound signature leaves the sound thin and etched for me and as crazy detail retrieval isn't my thing, I don't respond to such signatures. I know that many do, but it isn't my deal. I simply loved the 800S and do not feel that it lacked weight. I did plump up the lower frequencies slightly, but only a little. Still miss that headphone. Sigh, to be in an economic position where I didn't have to sell gear off to try new gear.

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,860 of 8,579
Any of you guys recommend a decent portable amp to drive my HD800S . My desktop amp has died on me and I don’t think I will replace it . So looking for an amp to pair with my iPhone XR

Any help appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back