Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
May 3, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #377 of 746

Not as flat as I hoped, but certainly resembles what I hear....:p

May 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #378 of 746

Never previously got around to posting mine. Like many of the other very low sn's, mine have a spread of <3db across the spectrum and a gradual dip centered on 3k (rather than a spike a 6k). Simply love them.

May 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #379 of 746
Mm, I just got a chance to listen to some HD800's with SN in the 4k range, they sound exactly like mine.
I've got to agree with those who say the graph is pretty much useless...

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #380 of 746
Can anyone explain why nearly all charts have a lower level between 230 and 280 Hz?

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #381 of 746
Quote:
Can anyone explain why nearly all charts have a lower level between 230 and 280 Hz?

While I'm not 100% this would be the case, but it appears this is the hardest part to damp on the HD-800 because of the rising impedance around that point.

EDIT: Note the very high impedance around that point.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #383 of 746
Hi 

Just got my HD-800 2 weeks ago loving it. Like to share my experience a bit. After knowing about the 6K hump was wondering how can I get one without it. Ask the sells person maybe. Is it even audible I thought. Can't know until I register the thing right that's what I thought.

So I went in a headphone shop and ask for a pair to try they gave me a pair with a number in the 19K range. I listen for a moment and notice some noise from the jack. I also notice they had another pair so I ask if I can try the other pair. They said yes S/N 22550 and straight away the absent of the 6K hump was very obvious and the rest is history. hahaha 

Chris

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #384 of 746
Quote:

Is it not the case the electrical impedance here at 100Hz is due to that frequency being the mechanical resonant frequency of the moving mass and often louder as the cone 'flaps' at that point due to there being the maximum back EMF and most difficult area for the amplifier to control?

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #385 of 746

Here are my TWO charts.  I wanted to ascertain that the chart Sennheiser sent me wasn't a random and arbitrary graph that they manufacture just to satisfy HD800 owners' curiosity.  So, I registered my HD800 with both the Sennheiser Asia and Sennheiser USA websites and requested from both a separate certificate.

[From the Sennheiser USA website]

[From the Sennheiser Asia website]

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #387 of 746
....only if there is "mud" in the recording. If there happens to be musical information (such as harmonics and overtones) in that range, it goes bye-bye.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #388 of 746
All those measurements were taken at the factory when the headphones were brand new right? So what happens to that flat curve when the headphones breaks-in and when you put them in your hi-fi chain?  It's good to know that the HD800 are consistent, it denotes a good attention to quality control, but when debating a little peak here and a little dip there, is it really relevant if you consider real life listening conditions?

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #389 of 746
  All those measurements were taken at the factory when the headphones were brand new right? So what happens to that flat curve when the headphones breaks-in and when you put them in your hi-fi chain?  It's good to know that the HD800 are consistent, it denotes a good attention to quality control, but when debating a little peak here and a little dip there, is it really relevant if you consider real life listening conditions?

That's the purpose of the HD-800's diffuse field graph.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #390 of 746
Brunk, by real conditions I mean considering that the sound will change with break-in. Is the diffuse field graph made in factory accounting for this? Since everyone agree that the HD800 sound not to good before break-in (at least 100h before final sound sets in) are we all talking abouth graphs of bad sounding headphones? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back