Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #2,117 of 6,607

Quote:
Do you guys prefer them balanced or unbalanced ?

Please re-read the two posts above your question and the anawer should become quite obvious: we are both looking forward to trying the HD800 in balanced mode, meaning we don't know yet.

edit: actually I did hear the HD800 for a short time in balanced mode and they did indeed ramp up but it was also an improved OCC-wire cable so it's really hard to say for sure what the improvement was really due to. I have since sent the cable back out for re-termination so my impressions were brief. On my WA22 balanced is better as a rule, but there are some fine SE amps out there like the WA5LE for example which is acknowledged as a superior amp overall.

This is the best info I have found on the subject, hope it helps you:

http://www.balanced.com/faq/balanced.html

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2,118 of 6,607

Quote:
I'm keen to get my hands on a pair of HD800s again and this time, I think balanced into my balanced amp is the key to smoothing out the treble...I never did have a balanced amp when I had them for a couple of months before.  I really liked everything about the HD800.  I enjoy the K701 but I balanced them and can't get over the softened transients and mushy detailing.  In fact the HD650 benefited more from balancing than the K701...whereas the K701 was a shade quicker in the topend single ended...the HD650 actually just manages to edge out the K701 in outright speed in all frequencies once balanced.  Perhaps the HD800 can benefit also as much from balanced.

How does balancing smooth out treble? Not sure where you got that from friend. If the SE output of an amp wasn't giving you smooth treble, don't expect the balanced out of the same amp to magically do it.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #2,120 of 6,607
Got my HD 800s yesterday. I had to re-terminate them for balanced operation off the bat as my DAC output stage is differential out (Wolfson DACs diff out, feeding 3A5 tubes, into custom 9:1 ratio transformer outputs  - differential all the way with no SE conversion). I use Foobar's built-in volume control to provide attenuation, I do plan to change over to a Buffalo 32 bit DAC and use a potentiometer to attenuate at the hardware level in the future.   

The HD580s (also wired for balanced) certainly present a more relaxed sound than the HD 800s. My setup is very revealing due to the DAC output stage being able to drive most headphones directly without the need for an extra gain or buffer stage. With the HD580s all the sounds are present, right down to the minutia. The difference being that the HD 800 manages to deliver subtle layers of texturing and tone on even the smallest sound.

The midrange of the HD800s is more forward creating the effect of a more three-dimensional soundstage. Vocal cues are also better rendered on the HD800, there's a greater sense of air and rendition of finer nuance in vocals. 

The high frequency response of the HD 800 is brutally revealing;  if you've got a lot of bad recordings in your collection, these cans won't help them sound more palatable. Most electronic music is butchered by recording studios at the root level; applying massive amounts of gain resulting in a recording that lacks dynamic range and goes into clipping.The HD 800s aren't forgiving.

On good recordings however, WOW, the midrange delivery is very alluring. The only area that's lacking drive (and this is pointed out many times) is in the lower register department (bass). While the rendition of edge definition and 40~ 60Hz transients is accurate, the HD 800s don't shift massive amounts of air (perhaps this is one of the weaknesses of the ring radiator in an open back design). What is there, is good, it just lacks a bit of slam to be on par with the incredible midrange of these phones.

Overall, I'd say I  do like the HD 800s, though I feel an asking price in the region of $800 would make them a better buy than the current MSRP.  I paid about $1100 for mine which isn't too bad. Having heard them properly now though, I would not spend any more than this on them. 

-Raja

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #2,121 of 6,607

Quote:
Got my HD 800s yesterday. I had to re-terminate them for balanced operation off the bat as my DAC output stage is differential out (Wolfson DACs diff out, feeding 3A5 tubes, into custom 9:1 ratio transformer outputs  - differential all the way with no SE conversion). I use Foobar's built-in volume control to provide attenuation, I do plan to change over to a Buffalo 32 bit DAC and use a potentiometer to attenuate at the hardware level in the future.   

The HD580s (also wired for balanced) certainly present a more relaxed sound than the HD 800s. My setup is very revealing due to the DAC output stage being able to drive most headphones directly without the need for an extra gain or buffer stage. With the HD580s all the sounds are present, right down to the minutia. The difference being that the HD 800 manages to deliver subtle layers of texturing and tone on even the smallest sound.

The midrange of the HD800s is more forward creating the effect of a more three-dimensional soundstage. Vocal cues are also better rendered on the HD800, there's a greater sense of air and rendition of finer nuance in vocals. 

The high frequency response of the HD 800 is brutally revealing;  if you've got a lot of bad recordings in your collection, these cans won't help them sound more palatable. Most electronic music is butchered by recording studios at the root level; applying massive amounts of gain resulting in a recording that lacks dynamic range and goes into clipping.The HD 800s aren't forgiving.

On good recordings however, WOW, the midrange delivery is very alluring. The only area that's lacking drive (and this is pointed out many times) is in the lower register department (bass). While the rendition of edge definition and 40~ 60Hz transients is accurate, the HD 800s don't shift massive amounts of air (perhaps this is one of the weaknesses of the ring radiator in an open back design). What is there, is good, it just lacks a bit of slam to be on par with the incredible midrange of these phones.

Overall, I'd say I  do like the HD 800s, though I feel an asking price in the region of $800 would make them a better buy than the current MSRP.  I paid about $1100 for mine which isn't too bad. Having heard them properly now though, I would not spend any more than this on them. 

-Raja

You really need an amp with almost 0 output impedance and able to swing a lot of voltage to bring the best out of these phones.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2,122 of 6,607
The OP transfos are more than capable of pushing enough current into a modulating 300 ohm load.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #2,123 of 6,607
^Your evaluation is spot-on, I enjoyed the reading and mostly agree though i dodn't find the midrange particularly alluring, It's amazingly clear and airy but i didn't have the emotional reaction like with my W5000s, Both driven out of the SPL Auditor. But your amp is custom built it seems.. must be something special.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #2,124 of 6,607

Quote:
^Your evaluation is spot-on, I enjoyed the reading and mostly agree though i dodn't find the midrange particularly alluring, It's amazingly clear and airy but i didn't have the emotional reaction like with my W5000s, Both driven out of the SPL Auditor. But your amp is custom built it seems.. must be something special.  

Thanks Amarphael,

I think that midrange allure is coming from the sonic signature of the 3A5 DHTs. More of the nuance and texture gets through in comparison to the HD 580s. The OPTs are custom wound by master winder Pieter Treurniet. The input impedance of the HD 580s is similar (though the modulating impdance vs frequency plot is probably different). The HD 580 driver shifts more air down low, but gives up transparency elsewhere. 

I find my Mapleshade recordings sound great on the HD 800s as they have been mastered brilliantly. Anything electronic and veering towards being recorded for the mass audience though, and the HD 800s sonic reproduction can lead to one searching for a tone control to impart a few decibels of hf cut.

-Raja

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #2,125 of 6,607
It's great with orchestral music, it has no overpowering bass or brightness.  Unlike HD650, it's not recessed at all.  Mine is only a few hours old, I guess that's why it doesn't sound smooth, it's a bit grainy.  

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #2,126 of 6,607
raja hi,
can you tell me more about how you reterminated to balanced? Are all 4 wires colour coded?

kindest regards, Peter

Feb 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,128 of 6,607

Quote:
raja hi,
can you tell me more about how you reterminated to balanced? Are all 4 wires colour coded?

kindest regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

There are actually 3 wires per side (you've got a twisted pair plus a bare shied which you can ground at the XLR end). And yes they are all color coded. It's actually quite a simple operation. If you can solder well, go for mini-XLRs, they are less bulky and latch just as well as their larger brethren. Of course you'll have to replace your chassis connectors, but it's not that hard to do.

-Raja

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #2,129 of 6,607
I now have an Apex Peak driving HD800.  The sound is fuller with more body and the bass has depth.  It makes the HD800 sound less veiled.  I can't say much more because they are still new.  
redface.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2,130 of 6,607

Quote:
I now have an Apex Peak driving HD800.  The sound is fuller with more body and the bass has depth.  It makes the HD800 sound less veiled.  I can't say much more because they are still new.  
redface.gif

Congrats, that's a great amp. But, "HD800" and "veil" should not be in the same sentence. Are you sure you didn't mean something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back