Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #901 of 6,607
vcoheda says,

"...the detail is good, but the music also sounds a bit diffuse. everything is clear but not crisp. maybe it is just this recording, which uses a lot of synthesizers, but i would like things to tighten up some and come into greater focus..."

I understand what you're saying. I hear this on certain recordings with the Stax O2. It probably is the recordings.

But my question is, to anybody, how does this diffuse-ness exist alongside what seems to be ample detail? I would think that the two would exclude each other. But my experience is that it doesn't.

What's going on? How can you have detail and a form of diffuse murkiness at the same time?

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #902 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my question is, to anybody, how does this diffuse-ness exist alongside what seems to be ample detail? I would think that the two would exclude each other. But my experience is that it doesn't.

What's going on? How can you have detail and a form of diffuse murkiness at the same time?

I think it is the soundstaging, and angle of the drivers. There seems to be _some_ positioning differences, say 'high and tight' vs 'hanging down'. It bugs me to just have them hang, as the move around on a forward head tilt, but sound better. Still fidgeting with the 'fit'.

The other thing is that it now feels wierd to put the 600s back on, as they actually <gasp> touch the ears, which now feels wrong, almost claustrophobic in comparison.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #903 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your close mindedness still doesnt stop the HD800 from being the best phone on the market....

I grin at the irony in that statement...

Wanted to ask the HD800 owners how it fares on sound leakage. Does it leak more than the HD650 or about the same (i.e. at same volume level)?

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #904 of 6,607
I'm finding that the HD800 does not mesh well with the rather cold mid-range and strident highs of the 840C. Thus, I'm selling the 840C and getting an Electrocompaniet ECD-1. Neutrality be damned, I want a warmer sound
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #905 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wanted to ask the HD800 owners how it fares on sound leakage.

It doesn't "leak" at all.
biggrin.gif

They are not closed headphones.

The HD 800 is totally open and the same volume comes out of the back as is going into your ears.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #906 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they were not all on the same source. I'm sure every one or almost everyone was a different source. But I've compared multiple sources through the same amp before and the differences were very minor once you get to a certain level, so I am very confident that did not account for the major difference. Sure, it would account for some, but not the vast difference in sound that I was hearing from different amps.

We'll have to agree to differ there, as this isn't the place to continue the eternal source vs. amp debate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm finding that the HD800 does not mesh well with the rather cold mid-range and strident highs of the 840C. Thus, I'm selling the 840C and getting an Electrocompaniet ECD-1. Neutrality be damned, I want a warmer sound
wink.gif

Good call.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #908 of 6,607
I got the discount w/ earphone solutions. Free 2 day air as well.

they arrived this AM at however I have no adapter for the computer here at work- Argggh... probably just as well to wait til I get home and try the Grace.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #909 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to sound gay, but I just had my best moment with the 800's listening to "Oh" by Dave Matthews of his Some Devil album. I did a little tube rolling with the Zana Deux, swapping out the valvo driver tube for a brimer. Between this and a little more burn in the 800's are sounding as good as I've heard.

New to tubes...what did the Brimars add that the Valvo's couldn't? I believe brimars tend to have upper mid and treble detail...Valvos' more mid and bass fullness? EC ZD great amp!

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #910 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Before you do that, try it with a better amp. I don't think your problem is your source.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to replace your source if you don't like its sound, just to try it with another amp before you do so. There were at least 2 people at the show I talked to that did not like the C-2C with the HD800.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #912 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd been surprised on how much source does matter with these headphones. That was made pretty clear at CanJam. It's one reason they're a keeper for me.

(LURK MODE OFF):

Myself also.....Burn-in is key! These drivers are stiffy's. Burning from Sunday morning till now, and everything is eased and natural with above average balance. Putting them back in the oven until Friday afternoon (original plan, takes discipline), cause I want a hundred n' plenty hours.

Won't matter tube or solid state..as long as it offers quality and is powerful.
These are a first for Sennheiser and a high marker for the rest of the industry. A headphone with so little coloration!!!! Shows a new set of engineering, of both staffing and direction for Sennheiser....Bravo Guys!

(LURK MODE ON):

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #913 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you do that, try it with a better amp. I don't think your problem is your source.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to replace your source if you don't like its sound, just to try it with another amp before you do so. There were at least 2 people at the show I talked to that did not like the C-2C with the HD800.

Well, it was definitely the 840C as well. I replaced it with an old Zhaolu DAC I had lying around, and it made a big difference with regards to the overall sound signature (i.e. slightly warmer, less painful highs, even though it was substantially less refined) and my enjoyment of the HD800's.

The C2C is by no means a killer amp, but it has a fairly neutral signature, so in combination with the neutrality of the HD800's, I was really hearing the true sound signature of the 840C, and realized that it wasn't quite to my liking.

IMO, source is more important than amplification. However, I will be upgrading to something like a Luxman P-1 or Headamp GS-X in the near future. I bought the C2C to have a decent budget amp while I acquire the funds for something more substantial.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #914 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd been surprised on how much source does matter with these headphones. That was made pretty clear at CanJam. It's one reason they're a keeper for me.

I agree 100%. I think that their neutrality really allows you to hear the true characteristics of your source in full, at least compared to more colored phones. This is what made me realize that I wasn't a huge fan of certain aspects of the 840C's presentation.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #915 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone succesfully gotten the 5% disc. from earphonesolutions? I'm kicking myself after ordering from headroom (they are still an excellent vendor!).

I did. They should be arriving today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back