Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #331 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdavid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In technical terms, there is adequate OOH, and an exceptional amount of AAH.

What's that? Are you sure it's technical?
icon10.gif

May 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #334 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people keep comparing this headphone to the K701? Does it really sound like that terrible headphone?

No no no, far from it. Apart from the large soundstage, the two do not share much IMO. The HD800 is not sibilant, it actually has palpable bass, it is not lifeless and boring, etc.

May 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #335 of 6,607
Quote:

Why do people keep comparing this headphone to the K701? Does it really sound like that terrible headphone?

It's even better... apparently. Terribly good.

May 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #336 of 6,607
I would hope it beats the K701 by a lot. I know most headphones over $500 do... for my taste anyway. Still waiting for someone that appreciates the K-1000, O2 and others in that range to compare.

These K701, HD650 comparisons are good and all, but....

May 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #337 of 6,607
Quote:

Apart from its bass and skull pressing headband, it's a wonderfully clean and airy headphone.

May 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #338 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hope it beats the K701 by a lot.

IMO it does and I'm someone that likes the 701s in my setup a lot.

Like I said, I took these things out of the box, fired them up and bam! Immediate, noticeable improvement across the boards.

So imagine how a 701 hater might feel about the 800s at that rate.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue
Apart from the large soundstage, the two do not share much IMO.

The HD800 is not sibilant, it actually has palpable bass, it is not lifeless and boring, etc.

+1 although on my rig and setup the 701s aren't nearly as bad off as you're describing.

I think you all get the general idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from its bass and skull pressing headband, it's a wonderfully clean and airy headphone.

^^ This has been my experience with the 701s on my setup although I think the Black Dragon cable from Drew may have helped me out a little bit in addition to the rest of the gear in my food chain.

And I've had some bass on the 701s.
wink.gif

May 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #339 of 6,607
Quote:

I would hope it beats the K701 by a lot. I know most headphones over $500 do... for my taste anyway. Still waiting for someone that appreciates the K-1000, O2 and others in that range to compare.

These K701, HD650 comparisons are good and all, but....

I would order one and do it if the cables weren't soo expensive. I would have to convert it to balanced = no return.
frown.gif

May 30, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #340 of 6,607
Well, I am loosing interest, in both the HD800s and this topic. Unfortunately it is filling up with a lot of "junk" posts, as though people are worried that the thread will die because owners are not posting in it every five minutes with reviews, impressions, what have you.

Some restraint with the "submit reply" button would go a long way.

I'm outta here, at least until there are more owners contributing interesting content about their HD800s than interested bystanders adding filler to the thread.

--Jerome

May 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #341 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO it does and I'm someone that likes the 701s in my setup a lot.

Like I said, I took these things out of the box, fired them up and bam! Immediate, noticeable improvement across the boards.

So imagine how a 701 hater might feel about the 800s at that rate.
wink.gif

I used to own the K701, and I do appreciate them - but one shouldn't expect them to compare to a headphone that's over 4 times it's price. And the K701s street price is just about right IMO.

Now go over and listen to the HF-1 and PS-1000 and post back
tongue_smile.gif

May 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #342 of 6,607
do you have the huge Orpheus Tube amp to go with the HE90s?

May 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #343 of 6,607
Quote:

I used to own the K701, and I do appreciate them - but one shouldn't expect them to compare to a headphone that's over 4 times it's price. And the K701s street price is just about right IMO.

Now go over and listen to the HF-1 and PS-1000 and post back
tongue_smile.gif

If I get an opportunity I will.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #345 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am loosing interest, in both the HD800s and this topic. Unfortunately it is filling up with a lot of "junk" posts, as though people are worried that the thread will die because owners are not posting in it every five minutes with reviews, impressions, what have you.

Some restraint with the "submit reply" button would go a long way.

I'm outta here, at least until there are more owners contributing interesting content about their HD800s than interested bystanders adding filler to the thread.

--Jerome

uh...you just did what your complaining about others doing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back