Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Aug 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #5,011 of 6,607
I love that I often focus on what I love about my life which probably makes me a 'fanboy' of my life in general, which can specifically include the headphones I have, which includes the one's in this thread's title - appreciating the HD 800 seems appropriate for this thread, does it not? 
wink.gif

Gratitude rocks!

And thanks for saying about the fairness, Anax - I do my best. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #5,012 of 6,607
Btw, I'm listening to a Bryston BA-1 via PWD w/ an unmodded set of HD800s.  Plenty of uncolored bass and good solid impact in a very clean, detailed and analytical, open sounding signature from the amp.  This is not a slow, muddy or fake tube sounding amp.  If someone can't get bass from the HD800 they need better gear whether cheap or expensive doesn't matter.

Did any of you guys from the Texas meet AB it w/ the O2?  I can't believe nobody there wouldn't be able to pick the two amps from each other using the HD800.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,013 of 6,607
Objective 2? We didn't have one there afaik. I'm still waiting on desktop version.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #5,014 of 6,607
Quote:
Objective 2? We didn't have one there afaik. I'm still waiting on desktop version.

Was Maverick there or was that another meet?

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5,015 of 6,607
Quote:
Btw, I'm listening to a Bryston BA-1 via PWD w/ an unmodded set of HD800s.  Plenty of uncolored bass and good solid impact in a very clean, detailed and analytical, open sounding signature from the amp.  This is not a slow, muddy or fake tube sounding amp.  If someone can't get bass from the HD800 they need better gear whether cheap or expensive doesn't matter.

Did any of you guys from the Texas meet AB it w/ the O2?  I can't believe nobody there wouldn't be able to pick the two amps from each other using the HD800.

I hear it the exact same way with my SPL Phonitor.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5,016 of 6,607
Quote:

Phonitor/Auditor is pretty nice w/ the HD800 but the Bryston has a next level of resolution over it.  It's also a little brighter if I recall correctly but smoother, more refined sounding and a lot of grip over the driver.  I've never tried the dials on the Phonitor though which makes it a whole other beast.  Plus I could stare at the Phonitor all day long.  
biggrin.gif
  Bryston runs freaking hot to the touch too.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5,017 of 6,607
No Mav wasn't at our meet. And yes it runs pretty damn hot.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #5,018 of 6,607
Quote:

Phonitor/Auditor is pretty nice w/ the HD800 but the Bryston has a next level of resolution over it.  It's also a little brighter if I recall correctly but smoother, more refined sounding and a lot of grip over the driver.  I've never tried the dials on the Phonitor though which makes it a whole other beast.  Plus I could stare at the Phonitor all day long.  
biggrin.gif
  Bryston runs freaking hot to the touch too.

Hey, I stare at the Phonitor as much as George Clooney "stared at goats".
ph34r.gif

Anyway, the Phonitor for my usage is exactly what I needed and I am currently upgrading my DAC to Mytek Stereo 192, it will be super interesting what the combination of Phonitor/Mytek/HD800 brings out!

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #5,019 of 6,607
Hahahah @ .Sup, its the same like saying John Willett works for Grace :p

haha you noticed that too ha :D

Windsor is cool, When I read his impressions its like he likes the HD800 and then he looses memory and likes them again like he just got them for the first time again. :D

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #5,020 of 6,607
Quote:

Phonitor is a good amp. But I do not like it very much with HD800. It gives airy and smooth sound. But it is too analytic in comparison with Luxman P-200 which gives a bit warmer and more fascinating sound. And sometimes Phonitor seemed to have slightly rough heights. But they are close if we talk about soundstage and detail.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #5,021 of 6,607
Received today a new pair of HDВ800. I never heard them before and was some afraid about known lacks of HD800 - "drynes and clinical" sound.
And, I was impressed when have heard a natural comfortable very detailed sound.   
Very happy 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5,023 of 6,607
Quote:
Windsor is cool, When I read his impressions its like he likes the HD800 and then he looses memory and likes them again like he just got them for the first time again.
biggrin.gif

When we live with an absence of personal thinking and more in the present moment it's like experiencing everything for the first time - I find that living from that place has makes my experience of headphones/music - and everything else in my life - immense fun. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5,024 of 6,607
Quote:
And sometimes Phonitor seemed to have slightly rough heights.

This.  The solid state digititus that many SS implementations have which turns me off.  Quite different from any treble grain inherent to the HD800 or other phones.  I've only heard maybe three SS amps w/o it that didn't cheat by crushing transparency and resolution in favor of gooey syrup.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #5,025 of 6,607
Quote:

This.  The solid state digititus that many SS implementations have which turns me off.  Quite different from any treble grain inherent to the HD800 or other phones.  I've only heard maybe three SS amps w/o it that didn't cheat by crushing transparency and resolution in favor of gooey syrup.

I have no problem with bright highs therefore I guess it's different from person to person (I grew up listening to pretty bright treble earphones like the MDR EX-500). I personally dislike the dark sound of the LCD-2 and especially the HD650, it's just not my cup of tea. Phonitor for mastering is perfect, I don't need the coloration that tube-based amps are going to apply to the signal because that would hinder the mastering process. I know quite a few studio engineers that use the Phonitor, and with the crossfeed it is certainly a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back